A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ?? What type of wedding are you planning ~ age??  (Read 13680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chibirinoa
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2008 09:58:42 AM »

My fiance and I just received the rings we bought together. I'm very excited to finally be engaged. He likes to tell me that he was ready to marry me a year after he met me and we've been together for 5 1/2 years, so I'm happy we've finally taken the next step.
Our wedding won't be for at least 3 years since we'd like to wait until I'm finished with college and he's done with his second degree. I'm 21 and he is 23.
I have a few ideas about the wedding. I'd like it to be as fun as possible not only for us, but for the guests as well. I'm thinking about having it in my parents yard (since it's huge and lavishly decorated) with lots of lawn games, kind of a picnic or camping theme. Who knows though, the more untraditional the better, I say! I come from a family with lots of cousins, and I'd be the second of 11 to get married so far, so there will be a lot of "normal" weddings to have to sit through! I want mine to set the standard of awesomeness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To see more of my projects please visit http://www.laurakane.webs.com!
dancedupapillon
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2008 10:49:42 AM »

My fiance and I just received the rings we bought together. I'm very excited to finally be engaged. He likes to tell me that he was ready to marry me a year after he met me and we've been together for 5 1/2 years, so I'm happy we've finally taken the next step.
Our wedding won't be for at least 3 years since we'd like to wait until I'm finished with college and he's done with his second degree. I'm 21 and he is 23.
I have a few ideas about the wedding. I'd like it to be as fun as possible not only for us, but for the guests as well. I'm thinking about having it in my parents yard (since it's huge and lavishly decorated) with lots of lawn games, kind of a picnic or camping theme. Who knows though, the more untraditional the better, I say! I come from a family with lots of cousins, and I'd be the second of 11 to get married so far, so there will be a lot of "normal" weddings to have to sit through! I want mine to set the standard of awesomeness!

That sounds awesome!  My cousin (the first out of 16 to get married on my mom's side)  had her reception at an inn with a huge yard, where they set up picnic tables and a volleyball net, and soccer balls and skipping ropes.  Everyone except the bride and groom changed after the ceremony into something more comfortable and less formal, and we spent the evening playing and climbing trees.  It was much more fun than a "normal" wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
T_Rex
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2008 06:01:09 PM »

I love this tread--my boyfriend and I just got engaged a week ago (!!) and we're so excited.  We're both 21, and about to graduate college.  Even though the wedding will be at least two years away (he's going to PA school, and I want to live together first) I can't help but start planning the wedding! 

And this thread totally helps me out!  My older cousins all threw these bloated, $32,000 wedding with all these distant relatives that no one know, and all thier fraternity/sorority people, matchy-matchy bridesmaid dresses, and boozy receptions with obnoxious DJ's...It was god-awful!!!  And the very example of what I don't want. 

My fiance wants to get married in a church, and I was thinking about a non-denomination chapel, since neither of us are expecially religious.  If we can get married in the morning, we can totally avoid the drunken reception antics, and simply serve a bright and cherry brunch.  I really liked the tea-party theme!!! 

I was thinking about a green, yellow, and lavender wedding, as daisies and lavender  are both our favorite flowers.  I'm very much interested in the meanings of flowers--daisies mean "simple love," and lavender has many magical qualities but mean "fertility and desire."  I was thinking about wearing a crown of daisies and lavenders (which I will totally make myself)  And continue the daisies/lavender theme through centerpieces and invitations--maybe even using scented invitations!  And, to follow the tea-party theme, I could even provide little wooden boxes of teas on the tables to take home as favors!

So, sorry about the long musings!  It's just that you great gals have gotten my creative thoughts all stirred up!  I can't wait to start crafting! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slue-Foot Sue
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2008 07:26:03 PM »

This is a fun thread.

My fiance and I got engaged in December. We have been dating about 3 years and it'll be 4 by the time we get married. We're thinking either February 2009 or April 2009. We want it before the summer but it cannot be during the season of Lent. We will be 22 and 26 years old when we finally tie the knot.

Theme: Is Roman Catholicism a theme? I hope that our wedding will be in a church, be modest, show due reverence towards the sacraments, and ultimately be centered around glorifying God.

Reception: unknown, but I like sort of a springtime folksy family picnic if that is acheivable. This is where all you creative craftsters have inspired me with your outdoor weddings and receptions. In the place that I am totally traditional for the wedding itself, I am happy to reject any and all traditions regarding the reception. I think the pageantry of the modern American wedding has reached a level of tragedy and revolting-ness. I am happy to see how many of you have rejected it or converted that pageantry into something that is fascinatingly you.

My blurry vision of a picnic includes: family, rootbeer (not to ban other beer, just that a really good rootbeer excites me just as much), rock candy, croquet, quilts?(I saw them as tablecloths on tv once, it was awesome), and some bluegrass playing in the background wouldn't hurt.

I love this site, thank you for existing, crafty people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008 10:31:09 AM »

Well, I've never been much for marriage or weddings, but since I'm engaged now I should probably start thinking about it.    I think I'd like to get married in Scotland or Ireland.  I spent a semester there a few years ago and my girlfriend suggested going back this year to scope it out.  I couldn't imagine spending thousands of dollars on a wedding. There is so many other things I would like to do with that much money.  Like travel. Hence Scotland.

Anyway, most of my friends don't like the idea of us going away to get married.  Apparently no one knows how a gay wedding is supposed to work, so I guess we are supposed to set the bar.  I'm all for having a huge reception on the cheap when we get back though.

Other than that, I have no ideas. Also, we are 24 and 27.  And I don't imagine either of us will be changing our name.  But who knows. I guess if you're gay tradition kinda goes out the window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadeye
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008 07:27:39 PM »

We are a very untraditional couple in some ways, one being that I don't have an engagement ring... We talk about everything and had come to the decision to get married together, so a formal "proposal" just didn't make sense to us (I say we're not romantic, but he insists "we're romantic in our own way"). He was going to get me a ring I fell in love with at an arts festival, but we decided why not just use it as the wedding band? I was just going to get something plain for the band, so we decided to save the money (for the house we're planning to buy) instead... So we're having a (relatively) short, (6 months), ring-less engagement.

It's not the ring that matters anyway, it's the love and commitment you have for one another, but funny story about engagement gifts.  I know I'm getting proposed to within the next few weeks (I've been prying it out of a friend, lol) and we've been talking about it for over a year.  Anyway I insisted on a horse instead of an engagement ring.  We both ride horses (Actually he's a knight at Medieval Times and works on training peoples horses at my barn).  He said no and is still getting me the ring because we really cant afford the boarding and upkeep right now, but I put my foot down on no children until I'm ready (which will be quite a few years), just horses and to this he agreed Wink So in the end I get what I want too, just not right away.

So on to our plans to add to the growing collection here!  When we get married I'll be 23 and he'll be 30, the date looking to be sometime in early spring 2010 which gives me an ample amount of time to plan and look for discounts and get crafty.  Besides I want to finish my undergraduate degree first.  So I want the colors sage green (my fav!) brown and white and I'm going to use all white vintage and/or distressed serving trays, candle holders, and vases.  I would love to have it in a barn but barns are hard to come by in the Chicagoland area.  I'm looking into making it more of a "green" wedding and making things a little more eco-friendly, but I still have lots of time and research before any specific plans are made.  I was looking into giving little pine saplings as favors from the Arbor Day foundation.  They enclose them in little tubes and put quotes on the tubes about 'growing together' and such.  So far this is all I have.

Also another thing I wanted to put out there is I want a smaller wedding (under 100) but he has such a large family that with just our families is will be over 200, not counting friends and such.  I was thinking of having the wedding on a sunday to sort of discourage people from coming (most of them live out of state).  I know this sounds terrable, but I don't want a ton of people, and we don't have the money for it either.  Has anyone else had this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadeye
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008 07:42:50 PM »

Another question I have may be more personal but how many of you will take his last name or maybe hyphenate? I've had the same last name for so long it would feel weird to change it and it feels a little old fashioned but I think it might make things easier in the long run with kids and all.

A weird thing in my family is to give the children the mothers maiden name for their middle name, I know it's not the same as keeping your last name, but it's an option that might help you feel more comfortable with taking his name and keeping yours in the family!  I personally like my last name and I know I'll have a hard time giving it up, but I'll have the same initials.  I'm personally not into the hyphenate thing, but I've seen wives hyphenate their name and give his name to the children.  I don't overly know how that works leagally, but its been done, just another option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bezark
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008 02:22:37 PM »

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
We're getting married May 30th of this year. I'm 22, he's 23.
Our wedding is going to be at a sportsmen's club in New Jersey, because that's what we could get cheap, and it's very very nice if you ignore all of the animal carcasses on the walls.  Roll Eyes  We're skipping a real dinner and opting for a 7pm dessert-and-plentiful-cocktails reception with a 50's feel. I hate to use the word theme because it brings to mind horn-rimmed glasses and poodle skirts, but I'm wearing a poofy tea length dress, a bird cage veil and some killer electric blue wedges.
We're only spending roughly $3,000, but I guarantee no one would guess we were working with such a limited budget.

My dress:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/taintmesweet/IMG_0499.jpg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008 02:24:03 PM by bezark » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigeywithwings
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008 10:13:59 PM »

We're getting married on December 13, 2008 and having a 1920's theme wedding.  Husband-to-be is wearing a zoot suit and converse tennis shoes.  I am wearing a white birdcage veil.  Dress is yet to be.    We're having our ceremony at an old theater downtown.  Bridesmaids are probably wearing tea length black lace dresses.  We're renting a white 1930's Bentley to leave the reception.  Just started planning so more ideas to come.  I'm 24 btw and hubby is 27.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
helenpaige.etsy.com
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008 10:25:29 PM »

paigeywithwings, you HAVE TO POST PICTURES!!

your wedding sounds lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...