A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bath Salts - Missing the 'wow' factor  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

busspass

I *heart* Craft

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2007 06:47:51 AM »

I recently made a couple of batches of Bath Salts. Using the recipe below. I finally used a cup of this stuff (as the directions said), but didn't really feel like they did anything.

My question is: Is there anything else that I could add to these batches that have already been made?

Recipe:

2 cups of Epsom's salts
1 cup of sea salt
1/2 tsp glycerin
Food colouring
essential oil

Mix together.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007 07:07:38 AM »

What is this "wow" factor you are looking for in the salts? Is it the scent? Is it a tingle? Or another feeling?

I find Epsom salts are soothing for my muscles and tend to make me all floppy and weak. How much did you use in the bath? I tell people to use 1/4 cup for the scent, but I find I need more to have an impact on my muscles. You can try adding some dead sea salts -- about the same as the sea salts -- to offer some extra moisturizing power to it. Or you can try other scents. Which essential oil did you use? I find most essential oils shouldn't be used in the quantity I like to get a fragrant bathroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007 02:00:38 AM »

my question is the same as the above, what *wow* factor are you looking for?

bath salts should be relaxing, *not* wow-causing...you should get out of the bath feeling like your skin is softer, your muscles are looser, and your mind is a little less bogged down...

alot of the latter has to do with scent though (bulagarian lavender has worked the best for that), but fragrance oils are great for just scents (there are no healing properties to fragrance oils, they only smell nice, but they do smell VERY nice indeed!! lol)

the first 2 are caused by:

soft skin: the salts, water softeners do it with salt in a different way, but the salts do it too with direct contact..epsom and sea salt condition and exfoliate to some degree...you may want to consider adding baking soda instead of glycerin for an added fizz when you drop the salt into the water, (i dont know how glycerin sounds dropping into the water) but if you use baking soda, you MUST use a spritzer to distribute the scent and/or color, or you will have clumping (if these are for personal use only, you wont have a problem with clumps, i will be selling mine, so no clumps allowed)

relaxed muscles: a combination of the epsom salt and the warm water will help the blood flow to your muscles, therefore relaxing most tensions in them.

in all reality, you dont want a *wow* factor...you want an *ahhhhhh* factor....maybe you were lacking that?? clearlly you were disappointed

if you wanted *wow* consider bath fizzies (i dont make these yet, but i will be adding them to my rep when the new year starts) or even a fizzie salts (really easy to make, you need citric acid though, i could give you the test recipe i used for my *fizzy pebbles* an obvious knock off of pop rocks, but the company name is MmmBodyCandy, SOOO NOT TRYING TO SELL THE ITEMS< THE WEBSITE ISNT EVEN UP YET)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007 09:54:02 AM »

I second the idea for fizziness if you are looking for bath salts to be a little more "wow"-ish. Try adding 2 parts Baking Soda and 1 part Citric Acid to 2 parts of colored and scented salts. I would leave the glycerin out of your salt recipe though. Too much moisture will cause your salts to fizz early.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
SuperLupus
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 07:14:29 PM »

baking soda is a wise addition. It provides excellent skin conditioning! Honestly i mix my products. Sometimes salts with bubble bath. Sometimessalts with oils. But remember bubbles won't bubble with oils. The oils kill the surface tension hence no bubbly. But that doesn't mean you won't get the benefits of the goodies in your bubble bath...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007 11:52:56 PM »

baking soda is a wise addition. It provides excellent skin conditioning! Honestly i mix my products. Sometimes salts with bubble bath. Sometimessalts with oils. But remember bubbles won't bubble with oils. The oils kill the surface tension hence no bubbly. But that doesn't mean you won't get the benefits of the goodies in your bubble bath...

another great use for salts (both epsom and sea) if uncolored, or colored with soap dyes, is in soap....my husband LIVES on my Crystal Crush soap (i made him a pine scented one for our family day on Monday, and it looked like it snowed on his tree, which was soo cool) it is great for your skin in many ways
  • softens skin with the water
  • exfoliates dead skin
  • helps soap retain scent, and helps skin retain scent longer aswell
  • makes your skin glow

if you find a M&P soap leaves your skin a little to dry, instead of adding a butter (which will *break* the base in much lower quantities) add about 1/4 oz to every 2 oz of base of either sea or epsom, or a mix....your skin will feel more moisturized....even more moisture needed? add 1/8 oz shea to that ratio....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
busspass

I *heart* Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007 07:36:35 AM »

The 'wow' factor is pretty much anything! I didn't smell or feel anything at all after I did this recipe. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some of these out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007 01:12:35 PM »

The 'wow' factor is pretty much anything! I didn't smell or feel anything at all after I did this recipe. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some of these out.

that may be due to the glycerin....or not enough fragrance oil....try using an essential oil next blend.....

good luck! i hope you dont stop making salts...they really are wonderful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...