A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cherie Amour-along (knitty fall 07)  (Read 46606 times)
Tags for this thread: fall  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tephra
« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2007 05:23:08 PM »

I am done!!

Overall, I am happy with the way it came out, though not so happy with the shirt I am wearing underneath it in the picture! I guess I will just have to go shopping!!

That's gorgeous! I love that yarn.

I've been wondering for a while, about how much ease is there in the upper arm/arm hole? I know I'm going to have to alter mine (when I get to it, after Christmas) for my large upper arms, I'm just not sure how much larger I should make the armhole/sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jedifreac
« Reply #381 on: November 28, 2007 08:27:15 AM »

I really want to try this pattern as my first sweater but I'm not sure I have the figure to pull off the pattern.  My measurements are approximately 36-27-38 and I'm worried about how incongruous that looks from the diagram in the pattern.   I mean, the drawing has a 25 inch waist on the size medium, which could potentially be a huge difference (when I puff my tummy out after a big meal I can measure like, 31 inches around the belly.)  And I guess I lack in the boobie department (A/B).  But if I make it to accomodate the tummy measurement...then I'm pretty sure everything will flop over my narrow shoulders.  ::winces at how flat she is::

So um, any suggestions?  Would it help if I just knit the size for my bust but to accomodate my beer belly, knit the ribbing on 13s too?

Also, I really like the variegated yarn but I'm worried it will stripe in horizontal rings.  Is that enough of a reason to NOT run the risk and just stick with a solid color?  To make things more flattering would it help to elongate the ribs so it's less of a horizontal "belt" ?  I'm just scared the ring of ribbing will accentuate my lack of an hourglass figure.

Right now I'm really liking the Patons SWS too, but I know it's not thick enough.  =/  Hmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VanessaRenee
« Reply #382 on: November 28, 2007 09:19:47 PM »

I really want to make this my first sweater too!
I just joined craftster today, so forgive me... I only skimmed through the previous 39 pages so I had a few questions, as kind of a summary...
My first question is, which yarns have you found to fit the gauge, and on which size needle is the gauge measured in? Size 13 or 9? Also, would you experienced knitters out there recommend this as a first sweater? I hope I'm not asking anything already asked!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007 09:21:11 PM by VanessaRenee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Vanessa
sthrnsweetie
« Reply #383 on: November 29, 2007 04:20:43 PM »

The gauge is given for bulky weight yarn for both needle sizes in the pattern (just make sure you do the correct stitch for each).

I finished mine over Thanksgiving - as soon as I get pictures, I'll post them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
-Rowena Ravenclaw
Tenille
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2007 11:54:26 AM »

I finished my sleeves!!! MY sweater is just some blocking and attaching away!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
Tephra
« Reply #385 on: December 05, 2007 01:13:33 PM »

I should be casting on this weekend, finally.

I did some swatching yesterday with the ends of the two skeins of Simply Soft I had after finishing one of the gifts I was knitting. My gauge was crazy off like WOW. I added a third strand and bingo, right on gauge.

So I'll be using three strands in colors to be disclosed when I finally start and have something to post here about.  Wink

I'm doing a picot hem on mine, it looks great in the swatches though with three strands it was a bit bulky. I'm going to try "grading" the hem I think. I'll use 3 rows before the k2tog, yo row and do them with 1, 2, and finally all 3 strands. That should make it less bulky at the join row and smaller needles on those three rows will take care of the tendency to flip out (it did on the all 3 all the time swatch anyway, hopefully grading won't change that).

Now I just have to decide, stick with the largest size or give myself more than 2" of ease over my hips....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 08, 2007 10:32:40 PM »

Here's the front:

And the side:

My dog decided it would be a good idea to unwedge my project basket from under the chair, tear open the plastic bag, mangle all remaining balls of yarn, and unravel the body (which was a few rows from done) back to the ribbing.  A week later, and I am still trying to untangle the yarn.  You can see the one ball I've managed to reclaim in the basket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 08, 2007 11:40:40 PM »

Ah geez...that's heartbreaking  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tenille
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2007 12:16:21 PM »

I finally finished mine. The holes are much tighter and smaller than they're supposed to be cause I didn't do it exactly like I was supposed too, and I think the next one will only have one strand instead of 2, but as is I really like how it turned out and it's super thick and warm!! Here's a pic of the whole sweater and a closeup b4 I added the sleeves cause the lighting wasn't great when I took the 1st pic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on Ravelry Now!!! my usrname is Libraryhooker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenille
www.libraryhooker.blogspot.com

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."-Terry Pratchett
Tephra
« Reply #389 on: December 09, 2007 08:38:31 PM »

Well the graded picot hem idea hit a major snag, so it's frogged while I figure out what I'm going to do.

The problem is that using both a smaller needle and working the first round with one yarn and adding the other two strands on the next two rows makes the initial row too short and hence FAR too tight.

I also didn't like how deep the hem was coming out so having to frog for a serious flaw rather than "that's a bit wide..." is a good thing.

I just have to figure out what I'm going to try next.

Update: Invisible cast on to the rescue! I hope. We'll see after I get a few inches up and get a good look at the hem to see if It's going to behave.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007 01:13:00 AM by Tephra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Teriyaki Glazed Duck Breast
Curry Chicken with Apples and Pasta Recipe
How To Make Curry Sushi
Chicken Lajawab Recipe
Crab Ravioli Wontons w/ Chef Susanna Foo at Gourmet Kitchen
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...