A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yay...I got a dressform...(vintage)  (Read 481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tattooed_jen_ell
Jen Ell's Revenge

Not Meant to be Tamed

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2007 10:35:21 AM »

So I finally got a dressform. Its a vintage one. I don't even know exactly what size it is. I can't wait to get home and play with it...(I'm at work right now). It 's this style...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Female-Mannequin-Dress-Form-With-Cast-Iron-Base_W0QQitemZ200151051405QQihZ010QQcategoryZ114QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen Ell's Revenge Clothing and Accessories 
http://jenellsrevenge.com

Jen Ell's Revenge Blog
http://jenellsrevenge.blogspot.com
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007 02:29:08 PM »

Good deal!  You should find knobs or dials somewhere on it that will adjust it.  If all else fails you can put a bra and panties on it and stuff it to make it closer to your own size/figure shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007 07:34:27 PM »

Grats! Dummies are fun and very handy! My mom's is almost identical- it adjusts (rather slowly) with wing nuts down inside each pannel.

PRO: Very adjustable because there's no gearing to force all of any particular measument to move in tandem. If you want to sew for The Hunchback of Notre Dame you can set it up that way.
CON: Because there's no gearing you have to be very careful when setting it and tighten the wing nuts well or everything will wind up looking as if it were made for The Hunchback of Notre Dame...

PRO: you can see all the bit's inside and the wing nuts that you use to adjust the pieces are standard hardware store items if you ever lose any.
CON: there's not likely anything keeping the wing nuts & their bolts attatched to the sliders & frame so it's highly likely at some point you will loosen one completely off and lose it as it rolls off to never never land neccesitating a trip to the hardware store.

PRO: Because they are separate pieces it is very easy to disassemble the whole thing and re-upholster when it gets old & worn(my mom did this to hers using a thick jersey- was just thick enough to stick pins in, and very jazzy looking too).
CON: You better be good at figuring out how to put things together if you disassemble, it gets confusing fast.

PRO: The base stand on older models is a lot heavier, making it unlikely that you will knock it over while working.
CON: Watch your toes! Kicking those square feet by accident can take off a toe nail.

Overall I still like my mom's for a lot of reasons over my new easy dial adjusted manequin, the newer ones are designed for people with 'normal' figures and are a bit harder to make work for the variety of common ailments (no waist, very small waist in relation to hips & bust, etc) the older models like you referenced are far kinder to those figure 'flaws'. It takes more time to set up the older ones as you set each piece one at a time (more or less, making smaller is just loosen & squeeze) but they generally are a bit more solid & can take a few knocks : ) Enjoy it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007 08:13:03 AM »

That is so cool!  I desperately want one.  Have fun playing with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
What Lighting Neutral Density Gels Are
Making a Better Batman
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...