A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper Piecing Videos - Updated with more how-to video links!  (Read 1097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2007 09:06:23 PM »

I thought I'd share a couple of videos I posted on google videos just this week for my Harry Potter Paper Piecing Group on LiveJournal.

This one is quite long (26 minutes), but takes you through, step-by-step of a multi-piece paper pieced Quill pattern.  I tried to throw in as many tricks and helpful hints that I could think of.

This video was done at the request of annamhudson.  She asked how I design my patterns.  Made using video screencap software, it shows me designing in PhotoShop in real time.

I'd love feedback and suggestions for future videos or patterns.

EDIT Dec 1, 2007 - 

I've managed to fulfill several requests I've had outside of craftster to make a shorter, easier to follow paper piecing video, so I thought I would share here, too!

I's actually the same video, only faster...with music and more editing.  It occured to me after I saw this amazing video on making Duct Tape Purses.

Paper Piecing at Triple Speed

I also have a close up video that was inspired by a suggestion my 10 year old son gave me called Paper Piecing lowercase "E".  It's a super short video time lapse of what a pattern looks like as it's coming together.

Hmmm, obsessed much?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007 07:04:33 AM by ofenjen - Reason: more info! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
dragynf1ye
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007 10:53:40 PM »

Wow!  I can't believe I'm to first to reply...

Awesome!!!  Great video, really explained it well and clearly.  I'm really impressed!

My only constructive criticism would be to speed it up even a little more in spots...  when you do something repetitive, like at the beginning, once you've shown how to do it maybe speed up the repeated steps a tad bit.

I liked the clear instructions, the background music... I feel I learned something, Thank You!

ETA: Heh... um... I'd like to suggest a VW Bus pattern...  purely for personal gain as we love our bus, but I tell ya' everyone loves a VW Bus... you wouldn't believe how many smiles and waves that thing gets!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007 10:55:47 PM by dragynf1ye » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007 07:33:00 AM »

Wow!  I can't believe I'm to first to reply...

Awesome!!!  Great video, really explained it well and clearly.  I'm really impressed!

My only constructive criticism would be to speed it up even a little more in spots...  when you do something repetitive, like at the beginning, once you've shown how to do it maybe speed up the repeated steps a tad bit.

I liked the clear instructions, the background music... I feel I learned something, Thank You!

ETA: Heh... um... I'd like to suggest a VW Bus pattern...  purely for personal gain as we love our bus, but I tell ya' everyone loves a VW Bus... you wouldn't believe how many smiles and waves that thing gets!

A VW bus!  Cute idea.  Smiley  I have done the Knight Bus (from Harry Potter) and get lots of compliments on it.  The large majority of my designs are Harry Potter, but I occasionally do something else if it grabs my attention.

I know what you mean about the video length.  I'm planning to do shorter versions of both for anyone that wants a refresher or just doesn't want to sit through something that long! There's already a good basic How To paper piece video out there so I may just do something with helpful hints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007 07:04:08 AM »

*points to top*

I've added some video links...have a look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007 09:46:53 AM »

Thanks for the links.  Your patterns are really great.  I've foundation pieced before (see my cats @ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=206381.0 and my christmas wreath @ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209803.0) but I have never ventured to draft my own patterns. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007 12:24:25 PM »

Thanks for the links.  Your patterns are really great.  I've foundation pieced before (see my cats @ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=206381.0 and my christmas wreath @ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209803.0) but I have never ventured to draft my own patterns. 

Thanks!  Your cats are great, I love the way you quilted their tails!

I started designing my own because there was a pattern I was looking for and I just couldn't find it.  It just snowballed from there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Callie Khouri: Chick Flick
Callie Khouri: Finding Her Bearings
FFM 2 Septembre
Clôture Du FFM
CLAP 2 SEPTEMBRE
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...