A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,466
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few questions about a simple patchwork quilt  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andreacs
« on: November 26, 2007 11:45:33 AM »

Hey all,

I want to make simple quilts for my 2 kids for x-mas.  I'm thinking a basic scrappy "one-patch", with the blocks being 6 inches.  So I have a few questions:

Would it be best to just sew rows of blocks together, or should I make like a jumbo sized 4-patch and then sew those together in rows?

These are for twin sized bed and are for a 4 yo and a 2 yo.  They will get washed VERY frequently.  Is it ok if I do a 1/2 inch seam allowance or is that too bulky?

What is the best batting to use that is warm, but as light-weight as possible?  My younger one hates heavy blankets on her.  It's not freezing in our house at night or anything, so I'd definately give up some warmth for lightness.  Would just a layer of flannel work?

Thanks so much for any help you all can give!  I've made a few quilts before, but I'm still a total novice when it comes to details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007 01:01:06 PM »

Hey all,

I want to make simple quilts for my 2 kids for x-mas.  I'm thinking a basic scrappy "one-patch", with the blocks being 6 inches.  So I have a few questions:

Would it be best to just sew rows of blocks together, or should I make like a jumbo sized 4-patch and then sew those together in rows?

Either way works, especially with that size (or larger) blocks. Personally, I just do the rows, but see which works for you -- since you're doing two quilts, try both ways!  Grin

These are for twin sized bed and are for a 4 yo and a 2 yo.  They will get washed VERY frequently.  Is it ok if I do a 1/2 inch seam allowance or is that too bulky?

The 1/4 inch seam allowance would be fine. If you're worried, you could make sure you quilt up/down and back/forth each row at the seam (not just in a block), like with a wide zig zag stitch or just an s-shape. I have several kids' quilts that are washed frequently and have no problem with them -- they're quilted in a small-medium meander. That said, I have had a seam separate on an all flannel quilt, but that was one seam on one block, was easy to repair.

What is the best batting to use that is warm, but as light-weight as possible?  My younger one hates heavy blankets on her.  It's not freezing in our house at night or anything, so I'd definately give up some warmth for lightness.  Would just a layer of flannel work?

I personally like Warm and Natural or Warm and White cotton batting. They're thin and easy to use. I don't like being too hot, either, so it works for me. I've also used flannel inside a quilt and love it. It has a nice drape. Make sure you pre-wash flannel, especially an inexpensive (read cheap) flannel.

Have fun and good luck!! Let us see your finished quilts!

QB

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
KyTriplets
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 02:23:57 PM »

I use 1/4" seam allowances on my triplet's quilts and they've been washed TONS.  They are still together and look great.  The quilting will add more strength too.

As for batting, I use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20.  It is warm and lightweight.  My local Michaels sells a bag of it and with the 40% off coupon in the Sunday paper each week it comes out to be a good price.

As for how to piece it, I would make them into big four patches or even nine patches.  Then you can lay them out on the floor, or a design wall, and play with the layout.

But the most important thing?  Put a label on the quilts with a note of love from you.  They will treasure that part of the quilt the most!

We want to see pictures when you are done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andreacs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007 11:20:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies!  My other motive for a 1/2 in seam allowance is that I don't have a 1/4 inch foot I was thinking that it might be easier to maintain a consistent 1/2 inch...  Maybe I'll just use whatever my regular foot measures, I think about 3/8"  It won't really matter so long as I'm consistent, right?

I will absolutely post pics when I finish and thanks for the suggestion about the label w/note!  I always forget that part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007 02:16:04 PM »

If you are consistent, and doing simple same-sized squares, you don't have to stick to the 1/4" rule - doing other shapes or sizes can be tricky because  the cutting measurements are based on 1/4" as a rule of thumb.  You can use the old masking tape seam gauge method, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
andreacs
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007 06:12:58 PM »

Thanks, that's what I figured.  Off to cut more squares...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007 03:50:15 PM »

If you're concerned about wanting a 1/4" seam without a 1/4" foot, you can take a small strip of tape (masking - i happen to like drafting, myself, but i'm weird), and after measuring with the needle down, put a piece of tape indicating where 1/4" is (not sure if i'm describing this well, but it worked for me when i didn't have access to cheap US machine feet (foots?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Haircut Last Longer
How to Make Hair Color Last Longer
How to Style Your Hair with Mousse
How to Style Your Hair with Wax
How to Style Your Hair with Gel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...