A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zelda fans will love this! **updated with link to pattern**  (Read 23769 times)
Tags for this thread: zelda , scarf , hat , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellesbelles
« on: September 14, 2007 01:36:44 PM »

My boyfriend is a huge Zelda fan, and so I figured for his birthday I would design and knit a Link Hat and Triforce Scarf.  I've knitted/crocheted him quite a few hats, but he has always said once I feel more comfortable with it and can find a pattern he wants a hat like Link from Zelda....hopefully this was worth the wait of a few years.

I had to design the hat myself.  I searched and searched for hat patterns that were similar to Link's hat, but none of them seemed perfect.  I had the idea in my head of what I wanted and I wouldn't settle for anything different.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I hope my boyfriend likes it too!

Link Hat

Triforce Scarf

Now you can see the pattern I designed for making these on my blog:  http://diyod.blogspot.com/2008/10/joshs-link-hat-and-triforce-scarf.html
I spent a good little bit of time trying to get this just right, so please do not make these items for sale.  Also, if you do make either of these, I would love to see pictures of your completed project.  This is my first time writting down a pattern, so if it doesn't make sense please let me know.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 05:12:28 AM by kellesbelles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007 01:45:08 PM »

OMG! I am definitely going to have to crochet myself a triforce scarf.  Why did I not think of that myself!?

I would love to see an action shot of the hat, it looks just like Link's!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ozbourne
ominous and foreshadowing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007 01:49:00 PM »

Awesome! I want to see an action shot of the hat too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellesbelles
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007 01:50:44 PM »

Once I give them to my boyfriend (which is still a month away), I will be sure to take some pictures of him all decked out with his new Zelda inspired gear.

I hope I can wait that long to give them to him, I'm pretty bad about giving presents early if I have them early.

Glad I could give you ideas for projects Smiley  I would love to see your crocheted version when you have it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dizzylizzy

dreamers have become an endangered species

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007 02:08:37 PM »

OMG! So cool!

Did you by any chance write down the pattern? My boyfriend would just love a hat like that for Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellesbelles
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007 02:26:46 PM »

OMG! So cool!

Did you by any chance write down the pattern? My boyfriend would just love a hat like that for Christmas!

I have notes in one of my many knitting bags, but I haven't actually typed up any instructions.  I've been so busy working on Christmas presents (I'm making tons of things for people this year), I haven't had time to sit down and organize my notes I made while knitting the hat. 

Once I get some time I will try and type up some instructions for anyone interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nel83
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007 03:52:57 PM »

Please post the pattern for the scarf! My natural geekiness is commanding me to make one NOW! It's awesome! (It really is, I never use this many exclamation signs!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help! My Stash is trying to eat me!
spaceniblet
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007 04:33:40 PM »

I love it!  Those turned out great!

I would also really appreciate if you could share your pattern.  I promised a very good friend I would try to make her a Zelda hat and scarf, but haven't started because I haven't found a hat pattern I like.  I'm not nearly confident enough to try it on my own, without a pattern as a guide.  Also, how did you do the colorwork for the scarf?  Did you knit it in or add it on top later?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
meronym

Once More, With Feeling..

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007 04:39:38 PM »

I would love a hat like links! Your hat and scarf are very cool! Well done Cheesy I would also love a pattern when you get around to making it yay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I must drink the fish oil..
sandal43
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007 05:22:58 PM »

Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alexandraf
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007 07:20:15 PM »

Ahhh, this is great! I'm a huge fan of the Zelda series myself so I'm sure your boyfriend will just love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Extrapolate that!
chibi elphie
Mini Elphaba

Crafty Witch of the East

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007 07:54:34 PM »

Woah. I seriously just went to the LYS and considered buying the yarn for a Link hat for a friend today. I ended up putting it off until my next trip, but it's so weird to see this right after thinking about it.

I hope you do put the pattern up or some tips. I've been looking around, but you were right about few patterns being similar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love means nothing in tennis"

+Nerdy Knits- my blog
+My Wists
flexyourthread
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007 09:53:05 PM »

hahaha oh my god if only i saw this a few years ago when my brother was heavily into Zelda.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellesbelles
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007 12:43:45 PM »

The Scarf is very easy to make. 

I didn't have a small enough pair of circular needles, so I had to use DPNs.  Here's what I did:

Cast on 54 stitches (18 on each DPN)
Knit in the round for 60"

The Triforce pattern was done in duplicate stitch.  I made mine on some knitting graph paper (drew a few different designs).  After I did the duplicate stitch of the Triforce, I sewed up the ends so that they would match up and always show the full design.  There is a Triforce on both ends on both sides of the scarf.

As for yarn, I used Lion Brand Wool Ease for the scarf and just some extra acryllic yarn in yellow for the Triforce (didn't want to spend the money on more yarn because the hat and scarf took about 5 skeins of yarn).

I don't have an actual file of my Triforce design because I drew it on graph paper.  I will try and see if I can post one later.  I would create one on the computer now, but my boyfriend is in the other room and I don't want him to see it yet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crocodisle
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007 01:00:21 PM »

Hahahahaha, those are so rad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all our life is but a dream, fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me.

The northern downpour sends its love.
kellesbelles
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007 07:03:34 AM »

I've had a few other requests from other places for the pattern, so to keep it all in one place I will be posting the pattern on my blog as soon as I get the time to get things all in order.  Once the pattern is up on my blog, I will make sure to update this post so all of you know.

If you are planning on making it for Christmas, don't worry!  I should be able to get it up on the blog with plenty of time to make it for your friends and loved ones.  The only reason it took me so long to make it was because I had to sneak around and knit at work during down time and on my lunch so my boyfriend wouldn't see it (plus I was still doing a little designing while I was knitting it).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007 01:55:44 PM »

my brother went crazy when i showed him this.  he wants me to make the hat for his link costume.  he's getting the scarf for xmas.  the hat is perfect!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make crafts and people. Also crafts for said people.
spaceniblet
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007 06:30:28 PM »

thank you so much for the tut!  i'll be sure to share pictures of my own once it's complete.  i'll have to find some acrylic or something though, since the recipient is allergic to, um, everything.  green yarn shopping this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
spaceniblet
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007 06:45:55 PM »

Thanks KellesBelles!  I finished my version today (in Caron Simply Soft for those allergic to everything) and already gave it to a VERY happy recipient.  There was much squealing and jumping up and down and "oh my gosh"-ing.  Once I pry it away from her I'll try to post pictures.  Hopefully that will happen sometime this week.  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
kellesbelles
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007 09:30:23 AM »

I'm glad to hear they loved it.  I still have to wait to give mine to my boyfriend (his birthday is the 30th of this month).

I can't wait to see the pictures of your FO.

Was the pattern easy to follow?  It was my first time writing up a pattern and I wasn't sure if it would make sense to others or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarasvati

love for crafting!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007 09:35:33 PM »

hey, that is an awesome scarf and hat!!  Smiley  i am a huge video game geek and i often blog about geeky crafts - i've featured you on my blog!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lostmittenblog.blogspot.com - my crafting blog
http://www.flickr.com/lost_mitten - my flickr
I'm Craftster's August 2009 Featured Needlework Artist!

(Mini) Nerd Swap - sign-ups right now! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=342519.0
spaceniblet
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2007 10:43:07 AM »

The pattern was really easy to follow!  Pictures as promised:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Squirps!
kellesbelles
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007 06:25:44 AM »

spaceniblet, thanks for posting pictures of your completed project.  I'm so glad the pattern was easy to follow, because I wanted it to be an easy pattern so that any Zelda lover could make it.  Your FOs look great!

sarasvati, thanks for the mention on your blog!  I wanted this pattern to be free, and easy, so that anyone that loved gaming could make it if they knew the basics of knitting.  Thanks for helping share it with other gaming geeks!

I might eventually make a crochet equivalent to this pattern when I have more free time, but for now I'm busy with Christmas gifts and baby gifts for all my friends that are expecting.  So don't worry crocheters, there will eventually be a crochet version available for you....you just have to wait a little longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellesbelles
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007 09:28:31 PM »

Well his birthday finally got here....at 12:00 am today I gave him his hat and scarf...

Here are some action shots that you requested:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabelaced
Cor Leonis

Experimental chef & video game knitter!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008 10:47:45 AM »

As of two weeks ago when I was scrambling to find this pattern, your blog got deleted! Luckily Yahoo! cached the page so I was able to pick up the pattern there. No pictures to post, but your pattern was super easy to follow, and the recipient liked it. Bravo! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are a lot of people out there trying to be different. Instead of joining them, be good and do good. That is different enough.
dearyorick
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008 01:45:56 PM »

I just went to the blog and found it was gone, and I don't think I've been to it before so as far as I know I can't find it cached...is there anyway you could link me (hahaha pun not intended) to it? I have a friend who would love this and it sounds like a good pattern, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellesbelles
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008 10:36:56 PM »

Sorry about that.  My blog did get moved, and I tried to update it most places but it's hard to remember where I forgot to update it.

My new blog is at http://diyod.blogspot.com, and the pattern is one of the first posts on my new blog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008 01:57:37 PM »

I love the hat! You were right to make up the pattern the way you wanted, it turned out great! Of course the scarf is nice too, but it is the hat that makes me smile! I'd wear it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funnybone106
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008 01:46:47 PM »

Hi!!!
I love your Zelda stuff. I actually just made this link hat
for my friend's halloween costume. That's me in it- i wanted a picture before i mailed it to him.
just thought you'd appreciate another link hat-making friend in the world.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebs Switch Gowns for Vanity Fair Party
2014 Academy Awards Red Carpet Recap
4 Fashion Trends That Accentuate Your Best Body Features
Oscars 2014 Red Carpet Fashion Roundup
How to Refresh Your Denim for Spring
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...