A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hook preferences  (Read 3901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2006 02:50:51 PM »

Everkutz keep checking around I have 3 N sizes in metal, I think I got them from Wal-Mart
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006 03:35:45 PM »

Depends on what I'm doing.  I loathe aluminum hooks (I tend to hold my hook too tightly, and they wear blisters on my fingers)-- but they're the only reasonably sturdy hooks I've found in size G or lower.  Plastic G hooks and smaller tend to bend and break the first time you do anything requiring a tight stitch.  Also, aluminum hooks hold up much better for non-yarn projects (plastic, wire, rope).

Steel, of course, for thread and thin wire--although these hooks seem to disappear.  I think my husband steals them. 

My favorite H and I hooks are Bates Luxite.  I have Boye N and Q hooks, which were scratchy at first but work fine after I touched them up with 1000-grit sandpaper.  My favorite J, K and L hooks are also plastic, very sturdy, with a pointy profile which is great for fuzzier yarns.  Would like more of them, but have yet to find them again-- I don't even think they HAD a brand.  And I have a set of K, L, M, N, and P hooks (the Joann brand bulk-pack), which are pretty decent.  I don't like the profile as well as my mystery hooks, but they're practically unbreakable (also CHEAP).

I would like to try wood or bamboo hooks, but I'm not sure how well they'd hold up to my grip of death.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TerryMcClary

Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2007 02:13:20 AM »

Well, I got my full set of Clover soft touch in my stocking (from hubby), and I love them. Absolutely, my favorite ever. Since christmas morning I have finished a sweater for my 5 yo (front and back were already done...so sleeves, ribbing, and assembly), made the "shroom" from the crochet-me site, made a pair of superwash merino socks for me, made the One-Skein HH skarf in a Noru Silk Garden skein, and started Sammy the Hedgehog, all with the new hooks. I will post pictures after my husband goes back to work later next week(first vacation in ages).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ainadaliel
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007 03:30:38 AM »

I like the Lion Brand plastic hooks. But that's just me!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitterDawn
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007 03:57:37 PM »

I recently bought one of the crochet lites and I really like it.  Not only does it light up (cool), but the handle part of the hook is big and easier to hold.  It's helped with the aches and pains I get when I crochet for a long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
1QueenofCrochet
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2007 05:23:54 PM »

I'm a Boye metal hook fan, I have tried just about every hook there is and even made some of my own but I keep on going back to the Boye metal hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2007 05:37:16 AM »

I've used Boye hooks since I was 16. I'm not a big fan of plastic hooks though. I've given them a good, fair try but they always felt funny in my hand and talk about snagging...  Roll Eyes

I'd love to try wooden hooks though. Especially when I'm crocheting afghans during the winter. The aluminum tends to stay cold and makes my hands hurt. I've seen some on line that have a similar hook/throat shape to the Boye hooks but geez Louise... they're expensive. Maybe I'll get one and see how I like it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backstage at Zadig & Voltaire
Popular Demand Founder Blake Ricciardi Talks Success of Streetwear Brand
Style Sound Off: Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock & Kim Kardashian
Snoop Dogg Aka Snoop Lion on Making Music With His Sons
Paris Street Style in 90 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...