A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
824 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Low Sodium Salt or Salt Substitutes?  (Read 811 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SlyBetty
Non-stop crafty bandit

Get Ur Craft On

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 14, 2007 07:40:27 AM »

Hi again! Does anyone know of low sodium alternatives for using salt as flavor? Spices, or maybe natural sea salts etc. that are lower in sodium than iodized table salt? Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilyvanilli
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007 08:55:29 AM »

Soy sauce? I don't know....If that has too much try Bragg's Liquid Aminos. It tastes a little different but it's still delicious.

My aunt uses potassium instead of salt but I think there might be some health risks with that, you might want to do a little research first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DithMer

Have a good one, and learn everything you can.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007 09:29:34 AM »

they make a low sodium salt.  they're almost all potassium chloride.  and they're in the spice section in the supermarket.  i've been using it forever, and i can't really tell the difference in the taste, or otherwise i got used to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhell
i'd rather be knitting....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007 08:17:34 AM »

in savory dishes i often use a bit of vegetable stock instead of salt.  it ups the flavor without being strictly sodium.  you can buy low sodium, but i prefer to make it myself so i can control the amount of salt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....like you're grandma's sewing machine on acid...
http://www.livejournal.com/users/i_hate_shoes
ultraviolet
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007 09:21:15 AM »

Soy sauce?

Nooo! Has eleventy billion mgs of sodium in it! Smiley Bragg's is a good alternative.

We use something called "No Salt" which low (or possible no) sodium but still tastes ok. http://tinyurl.com/36q662
Morton's salt substitute is icky though (http://george-eby-research.com/gif/morton.jpg) so I wouldn't recommend it.

The difficult thing is finding prepared foods that are not heart-attack inducing, even simple things like canned tomatoes, etc. Everything is SO high in sodium Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
meanie_kawi_girl
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007 12:57:48 PM »

Offering up advice not only as a vegan, but as a Registered Dietitian. Salt is an acquired taste, if you use it just use a tiny amount. Salt substitutes are also okay *in moderation* but if you have any kidney problems you probably shouldn't. As far as salt goes in foods you buy - yes canned food and unfortunately convenience vegan items will have a lot. Try to buy fresh or frozen veggies. If you must use a can (that's where I get most of my beans) rinse the contents under running water until it's not foamy and that will help. Also - try things like Mrs. Dash or other salt free spices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007 05:35:50 PM »

I wouldn't mess around with salt substitutes unless you absolutely need to lower your sodium intake and can't manage to do it otherwise.  To echo what meanie_kawi_girl said - people on certain blood pressure medications also should not use salt substitutes with potassium, so check with your doctor if that is a concern for you. 

Sea salt and other types of "natural" salts are just salt in different packages.  They might have a little different flavor, but are still going to up your sodium intake.  It's probably better to play around with spices and other flavors rather than trying to "substitute" the salt -- what you use instead will depend on the recipe.  Things like lemon juice, garlic, cracked black pepper, toasted nuts, etc, can add great flavor without salt.  There are some tasty sounding Mrs. Dash blends out there - I should really try some of them, since I tend to get stuck using the same spices over and over again since I don't know what tastes good together.

There is reduced sodium soy sauce out there - it still has quite a bit of sodium, but helpful for reducing sodium in recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sora of Kingdom Hearts
How to Create Photo Books with Lightroom 4
How to Draw a Piranha from the Movie Piranha 3DD
Off Book: The Evolution of Music Online
Off Book: Generative Art - Computers, Data, and Humanity
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...