A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An Entomologist's Dream - Insect Pendant Necklaces (Large Pictures)  (Read 8094 times)
Tags for this thread: necklace , pendant , insect  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Strange Bird
« on: September 13, 2007 02:47:56 PM »

I've been away from Craftster for a little while, but I missed you all too much to stay away for long.

You may or may not remember my fervor in the creation of my Storybook Jewelry (here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=183586.msg1913593#msg1913593), but now I'm back with a new frenzy.

My latest obsession: Insect Necklaces.

Here are the two I have completed so far.

Sagra Beetle and Honey-Colored Glass:

On me:

Praying Mantis with Olive Jade:

And on me:

What do you think?  I have more bugs coming my way in the mail now, so you can expect to see more, whether you want to or not.

Please send all comments and criticisms my way - I love hearing everyone's opinions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HootHootHope
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007 02:50:44 PM »

oh man, i love these SOOOO much! are they real bugs?  i took a zoology class where we had to catch and kill and make a display of bugs... so it wouldn't be hard to catch your own species for free!  is that just an epoxy that it's set in?  great job, these are really REALLY awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystalthepirate
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007 02:51:52 PM »

wow amazing. i wish i had molds that big.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007 02:58:36 PM »

Those are really striking!  I'm not completely convinced I could wear one if I thought the bugs were killed for sale (instead of found dead), but they sure are attractive necklaces!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 67
'16: 24
roniti

I'm a craftster disguised as a soldier!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007 02:59:14 PM »

I'm not a fan of bugs, I actually quite dislike em (especially bc I grew up by the Amazon and there are GINORMOUS ones there) but they look so darn great in your pendants!! I can't even image the effort you put into it to make them look so perfectly placed.  Awesome job!

If you are looking to make more of these pendants, I suggest you get some from the jungles in Bolivia.  They are very colorful insects. (they were a nightmare for me, but you seem to like their type Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eek! I joined the army!  Now I don't have much time for crafting Sad
!b
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007 03:02:37 PM »

Oh, I love love love bugs!
These are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007 03:06:07 PM »

I think it's incredibly sweet that my wasp picture appears next to your beetle necklace in the recently-posted projects... but these are awesome, I've got no idea what the ethics/morality stance is on this, but they are really good. they remind me of some discussion on craftster I saw (erm, lurked...) a while back about an artist who preserves deer fetuses in resin. perhaps I just swoon at suspended animation.  Undecided Smiley anyway... beautiful stuff. I'm going to peruse your story-book jewellery next, it intrigues me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VirgoWolf
Crafty Queen of Critters

Lets swap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007 03:15:33 PM »

WOW! I want that mantis one!  Grin LOVE them... Are they real? How do you get them placed so perfectly without tearing them or anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Krystal
PERSONAL SWAPS WELCOME!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/virgowolf
Wists: http://www.wists.com/VirgoWolf
Strange Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007 03:32:50 PM »

Wow, that was fast!

Thank you for all your positive responses so far, they make me feel all warm and squishy!

First of all, I'd like to say that the bugs in the pendants are real, but they are not from farms (they are not killed to be sold).  Almost all of the bugs I use come from some of the poorer provinces in China.  Farmers in these communities collect and sell specimens from their farms (produce and livestock farms, not insect farms) to earn a little extra income.

Secondly, I don't actually cast these myself.  They're not resin, they're Lucite (I love the look of Lucite - It is so incredibly clear and refractory).  I buy the pendants from my supplier for less than it would cost me to cast them myself.  Plus, I don't have the patience to get the little feelers on their legs all spread out properly, and the like - too fiddly for me.  However, I have been considering casting some in resin posed in quirky ways (dancing with each other, holding "hands", etcetera).  We'll see where that goes...I am quite the procrastinator.

Roniti - I would LOVE to get some South American specimens, but I have yet to find a supplier that doesn't farm them.  Farm bugs are normally much more expensive than salvaged bugs, and I'm quite poor.  Also, the good news about these necklaces is that you don't have to look at the bugs while they are around your neck!

VirgoWolf - While I did not preserve these little guys myself, I have done so in the past, and I can tell you how they are placed.  Firstly, the insects are soaked in a chemical solution (I'm not too fancy, so I usually either use acetone [nail polish remover]), and when they are removed from said liquid, they will be malleable, so they won't break.  Then, they are posed and pinned horizontally to dry, and, though they dry brittle, are easily placed with tweezers into whatever medium is desired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gilraen Nolatari

Supermassive Black Hole

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007 03:35:21 PM »

Ohhh I love them o.o!
Specialy the Mantis one.. It's REAAAAAAAALLY colorful and.. ahh I want one xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Revege is the best Revenge!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...