A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lion Washcloth (Inspired by Knitty's Grrr) Pattern added!  (Read 2744 times)
Tags for this thread: washcloth , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zelda.Suicide
« on: September 13, 2007 01:43:31 PM »

I thought the Grrr cloth was just the cutest thing, but alas, I can not knit.  My son however did receive one in a swap package, so that was pretty awesome.  The more I have gotten into crochet (I only really started getting into it, ie-doing it right, this past april) though the more aware of stitches and things I have become (aware = obsessed, you know;) ).  So I decided I just had to make a crocheted version of this cute little cloth.  First I searched online to see if someone had already done so, but I couldn't find anything, but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.  So when I found the loop stitch (fur stitch) on nexstitch, I decided I would just make up my own.  Today I finally got around to it while my son was napping, I actually started 2, doing each a different way, but I've only finished one because it turned out to be the much easier and quicker way.  So without further ado, my Grrr inspired lion washcloth.

Close up of the face (it's a little weird/sloppy because my son had woken up at this point and was in my lap because he is afraid of sirens, and for some reason there were a lot of them right at that moment)

Next to the knit version my son got in a swap package

I wrote down the pattern, so I would be able to make more of them, I assume it would be OK for me to post it (if not someone please let me know), so if anyone is interested I will type it up and add it here.
Thanks!

original Grrr cloth on knitty = http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer07/PATTgrrr.html

Pattern!

I Hook & Worsted weight cotton yarn (I used Sugar N Cream)

Special stitch = loop stitch (or fur stitch) = lp st = I used the explanation at nexstitch (http://www.nexstitch.com/v_loop_stitch.html), they also have a video.

ch. 25
row 1 = sc in 2nd ch from hook and each remaining chain across.  ch 1, turn
row 2 = lp st  in each sc across.  ch 1, turn.
row 3 = sc in each st across.  ch 1, turn.
row 4 - row 9 = repeat rows 2 and 3  three times
row 10 = lp st in first 9 sts, sc in next 6 sts, lp st in remaining 9 sts.  ch 1, turn.
row 11 = sc in each st across.  ch 1, turn.
row 12 - row 15 = repeat rows 10 and 11 twice.
row 16 - row 23 = repeat rows 2 and 3 four times

finish off and weaves ends (unless you want to make a loop to hang your cloth, then go on to next step) and embroider face.

to make loop, chain however many you want to make the loop as long as you want (I did 16) and then sl st to first chain of loop

You could also try cutting the loops to make it look more furry, but I havent tried it, and this was my first time doing the loop stitch so I dont know how sturdy it is.

This is my first time ever writing a pattern, so everything might not be perfect, also I havent tried it again, using the pattern, so my math might be off, but hopefully not.  Please let me know if something doesnt work out properly. 

I will also post the other version I am working on when I get it finished, hopefully tonight.   It has the loop stitches on every row, alternating between lp st and sc across, but in order for all the loops to be on the same side you have to work some from back to front, which slows me down.  I am very interested to see how it turns out though, to see if it looks too much different from this one.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007 03:20:08 PM by Zelda.Suicide - Reason: to add pattern! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

allthoseeyes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007 01:48:04 PM »

So cute!!!

And I like his face.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilted

crafty proselytizer, join the recruitment program

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007 01:53:21 PM »

thats awesome i cant knit either and i always wanted one!
super!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one mans trash is another girls uncontrollable need to recycle and reuse it!!!
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007 01:57:48 PM »

cute!! 

I used to be a crochet fiend... and after much effort I learned how to knit.  It took me several times trying to figure it out.  The Stitch and Bitch book is definitely a good tutorial book.  That, and I used massive needles with chunkier yarn, and it was easier to pick up that way.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007 02:02:44 PM »

I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Nathalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.word press.com
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007 02:48:41 PM »

That's so cool! I'd love to see the pattern, I've made a couple of basic washcloths for my boys, but this would be special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007 03:25:18 PM »

Thanks everybody!  I added the pattern, please post pics if you make one, I would love to see how others turn out!  Also, let me know if you come across any problems with the pattern (my math isn't always perfect).

I used to be a crochet fiend... and after much effort I learned how to knit.  It took me several times trying to figure it out.  The Stitch and Bitch book is definitely a good tutorial book.  That, and I used massive needles with chunkier yarn, and it was easier to pick up that way.  Smiley

I have tried to learn to knit SO many times, but I just cast on too tight that I can't even knit into it, I have a tendancy to crochet tightly too.  I do have an aunt who used to own a yarn shop and who now teaches knitting at her CC, who said next time we are together (it's been a while) she will teach me how to knit, so maybe there is still hope for me.  My mom swears by the huge needles and chunky yarn, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007 07:56:31 PM »

i just finished, prolly only took 2 hours! what a fun, funfunfunfun! stitch!!! i'm using it all the time from now on! thanx so much for teaching it to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda.Suicide
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007 08:03:27 PM »

i just finished, prolly only took 2 hours! what a fun, funfunfunfun! stitch!!! i'm using it all the time from now on! thanx so much for teaching it to me!

Yay!  Post it if you can, I would love to see it.  Isn't it a fun stitch, I have a feeling I will be using it a lot more too (I see a shag bathroom rug in my future Wink).  So everything went well with the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007 09:14:07 PM »

i made mine with a denim ombre so instead of a lion i made him into a monster! i'll see if i can get someone to show me how to use a flippin camera 2morrow! * Grin* the pattern was great *and the video* i can be a real dummy when i comes to new stitches i lost a stitch somewhere so i had to take 1 sc out of the middle, but other than that *which i'm positive was my fault* it was GGGGggrrrrrreat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Install Brushes for Photoshop
How To Hack Flash Games
How to Use Camtasia Files On Movie Maker
How to Create Stick Figure Animations - in Pivot
How To Make Watermarks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...