A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,404
Currently Running With Scissors:
867 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handknit Harry Potter Scarf  (Read 4033 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

razberryswrl
« on: November 23, 2003 08:16:17 PM »

Helooo I'm a new member.  I've been knitting a few Harry Potter Gryffindor looking scarves for some of my friends and I thought I'd post a picture of one.  
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/169582/IM000323.JPG
 I can post some pictures of just the scarf alone if anyone's interested.

Anyway I used circular needles and knitted with a stockinette stitch. I casted on about 70 stitches I think.  The yellow yarn I used is Caron Brand (the 1 pounder skein) in Sunflower and the scarlet yarn I used is Red Heart Brand. I can't remember what the color is called, but just use a deep reddish color.  Because this scarf is in stockinette stitch it is knitted in the round so that the edges don't curl and you get a nice smooth surface on both sides.  Also the scarf is extra thick and warm.  The downside is that it takes twice as long to knit this scarf as it would a regular scarf.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 03:36:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
veruca_petunia
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003 01:43:58 PM »

oh i absolutly love harry potter! i tried to do the exact same thing last year - but found that yellow yarn doesnt suit my complection  Tongue! hee hee hee. so insted, i used black redheart yarn and this really cool thick and thin yarn that was a combination of deep red and blood red. a couple of days ago, i realized how crappy it had turned out, so i unravled it and started again. your's looks great - i'll post mine if i finish it in a timely manner. wow i thought i was the only one to make harry potter crafts!  Smiley Cheesy Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...sweet dreams 'till sunbeams find you...
wingedorange
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003 10:47:26 PM »

That's awesome! I thought about doing a Ravenclaw scarf once, but I get so impatient, I'd never finish it (I do better with small projects). There used to be a site with a pattern for a knit toy snitch, but I don't remember it now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wingedorange.net
Because if oranges had wings, they would fly.
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003 11:38:51 PM »

Fabulous scarf! Smiley  Your pattern idea is great! What size needles did you use?
 i tried the Redheart pattern, but didn't get far. It curled at the edges, and looked weird when i added a garter border.
I'd like to make one for myself and for a nephew or two. Though whether they'll be done by Christmas....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
razberryswrl
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003 03:04:02 PM »

I used size 8 circular needles that were 16" (measure from tip to tip)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pelibem3
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004 01:34:26 PM »

My mom made me one and it turned out awesome! she did mine on the machine though. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty_Witch15
BLT

copper boom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005 08:38:44 PM »

Ive knitted Harry Potter scarves too!
I found a pattern online for in the round, I think I found the link to the patteron on a Harry Potter fan web site(possibly Muggle Net, but cannot remember as this was at least more than a yearago). I knitted a Gryffindor scarf first, then I just recently finished a Ravenclaw scarf, complete with initial's of my favorit Ravenclaw character in bottom right corner.

I don't have the website adress on this computer, so I'll try to get it off my dads.
But basicly, I cast on 70 stitches on a 12-16'' circular needle, starting with the dark house colour(red Gryiffindor, green Slytherin, blue Ravenclaw, black hufflepuff). Make sure you mark where you start with a sfety pin or something. Then knit 20 rows, switch colour, 20 rows, switch colour, excetera. Once you have knitted 11 dark and 10 light stripes, your almost done! Wash the scarf, let dry flat(on floor on towles, or a big table, I just used my washer and dryer as a table Smiley), then add fringe! The pattern suggests using the American hard cover of Sorcere's Stone to measure the fringe width wise, about 7 peices of wool per fringe, 5 light and six dark; but when I finished my Ravenclaw I couldnt get that book from the library so I used another book. Whatever suits you Smiley. Then use a crochet hook to pull through, knot and done!(if you want to embroyder initials do it after washing but before fringing. Yah...... OH! it calls for about 2 100g balls of wool(worsted), but when I bought a 250g ball of wool for my first scarf I only had to buy a bit more of red for tassles. I think thats all... hmm I hope if anyone dares to try it they get it! messege me if you dont... Happy knitting!

p.s. I am planning on using left-over wool from my ravenclaw scarfe to make a little cellphone holder/case. I'll post pic's of that too If I can get around to making it!

Edit: At last, pictures!!!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005 10:31:45 AM by Crafty_Witch15 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my fashion blog

http://karent.wordpress.com/
homegirleh

this is not a llamatization!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005 08:49:07 PM »

I cant see the pic! Sad I really want to...

Has anyone attempted the scarves of the 3rd movie, with the trapped bar pattern? I want that!
Work on that one next, I suppose. (example here: http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_location=gof/bts1.jpg)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TPK
Crafty Pirate Wench

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005 08:50:15 PM »

Here's the website in question:

http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml

I have decided to knit a Hogwarts house scarf for my sister this year.  She is a fifth grade teacher, so a lot of her students are into Harry Potter as well.  She really identifies with Hufflepuff House because she is loyal, hardworking and passionate about fairness.  I bought some small dpns and superwash sock yarn to make an extra-fine gauge, so it should take quite a while to make.  We'll see how it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geekin' out at the Cosmic Fun Palace
woolgathered
Sp-diddly-inner

woolgathered.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005 03:41:59 PM »

Oooh, I've made them! Well, three. A Slytherin one, a Gryffindor one, and a Ravenclaw one. I did the last one on 40" size 13 needles with Lion Brand Jiffy. Some purists may say that it's not legit because it was knit on sz 13s, but I like it. The other ones took too darn long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vietnamese Pork Chops
How to Cook Maple and Soy-Glazed Flank Steak
How to Cook Spicy Basil Chicken
Five Curry Recipes
How to Cook Five-Spice Pork Lo Mein
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...