A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: winter holiday quilting craft-a-long  (Read 10636 times)
Tags for this thread: table_runner  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2007 08:18:53 PM »

saphirefaerie- i did a double take when i saw your name,  Shocked that is my daughters screen name, she spells hers a little different though.

i havn't tried a rag quilt yet, how difficult are they?

rag quilts are about the easiest thing you could possibly make...the seams are all on the outside! and it's a very forgiving quilt...meaning that if you make a mistake (and it's very hard to do that on this one, even for me!), you won't notice it. you could totally do it...it's a good weekend project.

i'm excited because i have my blocks all in rows and stacked, ready to sew together when i return from our weekend road trip. i'm psyched about getting it done so (1) i can feel like i accomplished something and (2) i can get to work on my new tree skirt...this my husband and i's first christmas together and we need a tree skirt...i have 13 of the most awesome christmas fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpunSugar

I'm off to see the wizard!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2007 09:06:19 PM »

saphirefaerie- i did a double take when i saw your name,  Shocked that is my daughters screen name, she spells hers a little different though.

Cheesy My old screen name when I was younger was WaterFaerie because I was a lifeguard but I decided to update it when I joined Craftster.  I picked Saphire (spelled wrong on purpose) because my wedding band has sapphires. 

i havn't tried a rag quilt yet, how difficult are they?

They're really easy, thats why I mostly make them!  Like miss_k said, its easy because the seams are on the outside.  I'm a little nervous about the one I'm making for my husband, I'm not sure the squares are going to line up right so if they don't, I'll just make it offset.  It's super easy to fix a mistake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~The Craftster Formerly Known as SaphireFaerie~
silk81
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2007 02:50:08 AM »

Translated Directions for the Christmas quilt shown here: http://www.quilteposten.com/tikantetduk.htm

http://www.quilteposten.com/images/gratismonster/takke/tikant1.jpg

This quilt is assembled using the English paper piecing method. A detailed tutorial for this method can be found here.
There are templates for four different sizes:

60cm (about 24") template A and template B
50cm (about 20") template A and template B
46cm (about 18") template A and template B
and a miniature one (actual size not given) with either round or straight edges (templates)

Print out the templates in the chosen size and prepare your pieces for English paper piecing. Assemble five times two green pieces with a yellow one as shown below.
http://www.quilteposten.com/images/gratismonster/takke/tikant%202.jpg

To avoid the inside corner and the set in seams you could adjust the templates according to this sketch:
http://www.quilteposten.com/images/gratismonster/duker/tikantalternativ.gif

Assemble your quilt top and use it as a template for the backing before removing the paper.
Remove the paper, sandwich and finish your quilt.

The quilt shown has a knife-edge finishing but these sketches show how it could look like with a regular binding.

I hope this makes sense. Tell me if there are any questions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 10:14:37 AM by silk81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
Ezri_B
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2007 09:06:33 AM »

oh, wow that was fast!! Thanks so much silk81
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladymare

Do Your Ears Hang Low?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2007 09:34:17 AM »

Thank you Silk81!!!

Okay, question for everyone: Does anyone else have a hard time starting a quilt because they dread cutting? I dunno, I love quilting, I love sewing, I love drawing up quilt designs, but when it comes to cutting... I just have a hard time being motivated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2007 10:39:40 AM »

YES!!

My absolute least favorite thing to do in the world is cut fabric! Right now when I have a little free time or tv time, I am trying to cut my scraps into specific sizes for future projects. That I don't seem to mind as much, but cutting big yardages of fabric is just a pain for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpunSugar

I'm off to see the wizard!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2007 07:20:30 PM »

Ugh, I hate cutting fabric!  lol  Right now I'm actually cutting a ton of flannel into large squares that I'll use for the rag quilts I'm making.  I keep promising myself that a little more cutting and I'll get to sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~The Craftster Formerly Known as SaphireFaerie~
miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007 02:33:44 PM »

i hate cutting, too! i especially hate tracing patterns and cutting them out! it's so time consuming and boring...i'd rather do the sewing and the quilting, the fun part! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silk81
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2007 12:12:27 AM »

I'm not to fond of cutting, either. But I think it's ok to cut pieces for a quilt where you have only straight cuts and can use a rotary cutter. And the designing, sewing and quilting takes so much longer than the cutting. So it's some stupid work for a lot of fun Smiley.
I really hate cutting fabric for clothes. When I'm making clothes I'm looking forward to sewing and wearing them but laying out the pattern and cutting takes almost as long as sewing.

Ezri_B, I forgot to mention that the original directions say that the smallest size of the pattern makes good pot holders. Just thought I should tell you since you wanted to make some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2007 01:42:11 AM »

Yep, I'm still cutting my squares like a maniac too...I could be some time! It would be so much easier with a cutter rather than my scissors, but unfortunately I haven't seen any in the shops here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ann Pearlman Talks About Her Book the Cookie Club
Author Jack Todd Talks About Sun Going Down
Philippa Gregory Talks About Margaret Beaufort Part 1
Novelist Robert Dugoni Talks About His Book Bodily Harm
Bestselling Author Andrew Clements Talks About His Life and Work
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...