A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frog!! and pendants  (Read 2310 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sithkittie
« on: June 25, 2011 12:36:19 PM »

My aunt makes beaded jewelry, so we had a craft night and switched crafts.  I showed her how to make a 3D frog, and she showed me how to make an ankle bracelet.  Didn't get a picture of the ankle bracelet, but here's the frog.

And a plethora of random 3D bead guys in the back... not the greatest picture.

I also experimented with some other jewelry, and made a pendant.

This was my first attempt (other than the ankle bracelet, which was macrame with beads now and again, like I used to make in high school and forgot about entirely) at making anything jewelry related.  I'm quite pleased with how they came out.  It's some kooky beads my aunt bought for us to play with and seed beads that I had.  I don't know what the sizes are exactly... the top are "regular" seed beads, and I didn't even see the tiny ones that are the rows in the body of it here. 

Here's the second one I made for my mom:

I used turquoise and hematite, then the top seed beads have silver inlay in them.  I didn't have matching tiny beads, so they're just a dark silver color, but I think they match pretty good.  The turquoise were a little irregular, not completely round, but they still worked.  I made another for my aunt, but the picture came out blurry.

The pattern I followed was super easy.  I could attempt to mark out a pattern on my computer if anybody's interested (though the mini beads, like I said, I have no clue what size they actually are, and I didn't see them in the craft stores here in America, I don't know about elsewhere).  The strips of tiny beads were a bit of a pain, especially with the turquoise one because the holes were too small to get the line through.  I used nylon string, 2 gauge... don't know what that translates to in non-Japanese craft talk (though if anybody knows and can tell me so I can find it when I run out you might just make my day).

Thanks for looking!!  Comments and critiques welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011 12:39:59 PM »

I love the twist on your pendants and your colour choice is excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Paper_n_Fabric
What I Love!!

I dont walk with scissors, I RUN!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011 06:12:04 PM »

Shocked  Your frog is pretty damn cute!!  I want it XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fabric, paper, fabric, paper, oh! I just cant choose!! Unless I mix them together and create something with fabric AND paper in a glorious harmony!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

live aloha

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011 06:56:19 PM »

I love your froggie and would love to see the other beaded creations in the background. 

Did you find the pattern in a book?  If so please tell me the name of the book/ISBN.  I am a bead hound and would love to know how to make these.  I think my daughter and her friends would love them.  TIA!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sithkittie
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011 08:08:31 PM »

Thanks! The frog was originally from a kit I'd made a couple years ago, but it's pretty simple.  Inside is a 10mm clear (the kit used white) bead for the head and an 8mm for the body. It's all seed beads except for the eyes, which are 4mm round. I used the nylon cord for everything but the arms and legs, and all it is are rows od seed beads threaded around the two clear beads. Each row of the head has about 5 to 7 beads, I believe, and the eyes are a part of two of the rows. The body has about 3 or 4 per row, and then wire to attatch the arms and legs. A pin holds the clear beads together.

That probably wasn't the clearest description.... sorry. I hope you can make something of it.

A few of those guys in the background are posted here, Belle, Malificent, Mary Poppins, and I posted an elephant in progress at some point. Smiley they're from, or based off patterns from books, but I don't see an ISBN number on them....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helena Puck
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011 02:47:59 PM »

Looks like a fun crafty afternoon!

The necklace you made your mom is very beautiful and, of course, I love the frog too. I'd love to see all the fun little beads and findings behind the frog; is that a pink octopus?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DestinationVenus
Beader, Kumist, Needle and Wet Felter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011 05:54:21 PM »

I like your pendants and frog, they are very cute.  It looks like the small beads in your pendants are size 11 seed beads for the loop and size 15 seed beads for the others, and they are common in the US.  Are the other beads 4mm in size?  I for one would love a tutorial, they are nice pendants, you did a good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sithkittie
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011 07:36:46 PM »

I'll have to try to put a tutorial together. Smiley  I don't have any more 4mm beads right now to work with, but when I do, I'll take some in progress pictures.  And thank you for the size numbers!  I've definitely seen a lot of the 11, but at least Hobby Lobby had none of the 15.

It's actually a pink panther in a santa hat, but there are like 4 of them or something.  I was going to give them to my nephews for Christmas gifts, but I hated how they came out. Sad
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011 07:38:27 PM by sithkittie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadiful nights
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011 05:16:49 PM »

I like your frog never seen one in 3d. I have made 2d frogs before. Your pendants are pretty too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BEADING VISIT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL. ENJOY!
http://www.youtube.com/user/beadifulnights?feature=mhee
Everclear~Rocker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011 01:41:29 PM »

i just love the frog and im going to try and do one based off of what you wrote on here. it sounds simple enough but we shall see,lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Endless Knight by Kresley Cole
Top Brain, Bottom Brain and How We Communicate
Scott Berg Discusses His New Book Wilson
Confessions of a Wild Child by Jackie Collins
Chris Matthews on His New Book Tip and the Gipper
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...