A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old CDs / AOL CDs / AOL CD Cases  (Read 155181 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lanfear32
« Reply #350 on: August 29, 2006 11:07:50 AM »

here's what i made with old aol cds:

I didnt nuke the cd's like some suggested ( i'm too chicken  Tongue) .. instead i just broke the cd's with a tin nipper and smoothed the edges with a dremel.  I roughed up the surface to make it look a little distressed/cracked by running the dremel sander quickly over the top.

it was a long process but very addicting!!!!

What did you drill/punch the holes with?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010 10:31:20 AM by pixieval - Reason: please do not quote images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted..."
              --Mae West
lanfear32
« Reply #351 on: August 29, 2006 11:09:53 AM »

My girls and I want to make a really cool "beaded" curtain for thier "lair" and I was planning to use all different sorts of things strung together as the "beads"  I will be using lots of pieces of old CDs as part of that curtain.  If we ever finish it, I will post a picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted..."
              --Mae West
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #352 on: August 29, 2006 11:57:59 AM »

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but you can make an ashtray out of one if you smoke? stick a 2pence piece over the hole in the middle.. (obviously any currency will do if you're not in the UK) and hold a lighter underneath the cd from the centre to the outside (just one line first), then use a pencil to mould it into shape, then do this 3 more times.. rubbis tut I know and no pictures makes it awful but try googling it and see what comes up! Lou x Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
MoxZ

Getting my stitch on!

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2006 08:56:20 AM »

Desk Coasters!  I've used cotton so that they would absorb the glass sweat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my blog for my current ATC's up for swap~
http://crookedhook.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/MoxZ -
marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2006 11:36:58 AM »

That's nice, MoxZ!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
doc*dog

What cute grandkids, they can't be mine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2006 11:39:16 AM »

I think that's awesome. What good thinking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeaShelly
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2006 11:39:17 AM »

ok...sorry if this has already been suggested, but you can see how I wouldn't have the time to go through all 35 pages of this thread, although I'd love to.

I take the old tins that the cd's have come in in the past, and sanded them a bit to rough them up, then painted the outside with spray paint and then hand painted flowers, peace symbols, yin yangs, etc... all over the dried spray painted base.

Then I de-potted my (many) eyeshadows, placed stick on magnets onto the underside of the eyeshadow pans, and stuck them into my pretty tins.  Now I can grab a tin of eyeshadow instead of a bunch of pots. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuhbe
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2006 04:22:59 PM »

ok...sorry if this has already been suggested, but you can see how I wouldn't have the time to go through all 35 pages of this thread, although I'd love to.

I take the old tins that the cd's have come in in the past, and sanded them a bit to rough them up, then painted the outside with spray paint and then hand painted flowers, peace symbols, yin yangs, etc... all over the dried spray painted base.

Then I de-potted my (many) eyeshadows, placed stick on magnets onto the underside of the eyeshadow pans, and stuck them into my pretty tins.  Now I can grab a tin of eyeshadow instead of a bunch of pots. 

I would like to see your projects finished, pics are available?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gossamer_gull
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2006 06:01:53 PM »

AOL commercial where the couple has this HUGE fish on the wall made out of cds? They have overlapped them and used the colors to make the features of the fish...looks like scales and fins etc.

I thought of this commercial too! In terms of smaller-scale (no pun intended) projects, CDs are nice and flat, so you could decorate albums/journals with them. Even more aptly, you could paint/write on them and attach them to the cover of those large nylon CD carrying cases....

Maybe you could break/cut them up and use the shards as mosaic tiles. Or use a CD as a tabletop in a doll house. Or carve them into shiny Japanese throwing stars. (Or not.)

Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainbowsparkl
« Reply #359 on: October 03, 2006 03:59:41 PM »

I just did the eye shadow pots in my old AOL tin and it came out really cute and colorful. I was looking for something to transfer them into as they were from a Toys R Us little girl kit. (u can get the best colors cheap there!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 4/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 3/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 10/11
How to Knit a Hat Brim with a Loom
How to Knit a Scarf on with a Loom Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...