A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Letterboxing Swap?  (Read 9784 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2007 03:16:24 PM »

It's getting close to autumn here in the northern hemisphere, and that always makes me want to go outside and enjoy nature!  And what better way to enjoy the outdoors than on a treasure hunt!

Do you letterbox?  If not, you should!  Check out this site http://www.letterboxing.org to find out what this fun (and cheap!) pasttime is all about.  It's basically no-tech geocaching.  All you need is a stamp, a journal, an inkpad, and some clues, and then you're on your way.

Would anyone be interested in swapping for a stamp, or maybe a personalized journal?  This could be a pretty simple and cheap swap!  You could even do a bag/container for your letterboxing supplies, or even a clue record book!   

If there's any interest, maybe we could have sign-ups in October?

What do you think???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_k

"button, button...who's got the button?!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007 03:23:46 PM »

i am intrigued. but i was wondering...could you maybe give your own personal run down of the whole letterbox thing is. i mean, i read up on it, i sort of get it...but maybe just someone else to explain it to clarify?? Huh Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007 05:03:20 PM »

Sure, miss_k! 

First, look up and print out clues on the letterboxing website for a particular place, wherever you happen to want to go. 

Next, load up your letterboxing stuff--- your stamp, your journal, and an inkpad. 

Then, follow the clues until you find the hidden letterbox (left by some fellow letterboxer.)  You will find in the box their stamp and  their journal.

Using your inkpad, stamp your journal with their stamp.  Stamp their journal with your stamp.  (You're basically exchanging stamps.)  Re-hide the letterbox where you found it, being discreet, and careful to re-hide well. 

Here's a pic of our journal showing 4 of the stamps we've collected... My kids are very involved in this, so it's far from perfect.... but that's OK with me!

Here are a couple of the stamps we made to put in the journals we find.  The grape stamp is our family stamp, and the hibiscus is my 12 year-old's stamp.  She carved it herself!  All my kids carved their own (with close supervision, of course) and fight over who is stamping next!

I wouldn't recommend such large stamps as we made above.  Some of the journals you'll find are very small!  Some people use purchased stamps.  The hand-carved stamps are more desired, of course, but either are fine.

Don't worry -- a lot of people are confused about it at first.  But it's so much fun!  Just get out and try it and you'll be hooked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_k

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007 05:27:03 PM »

i guess i am confused about the hiding part...is that where we would send, instead of hiding? i'm sorry, i'm not trying to ask stupid questions...i seriously am interested. it seems like a neat way to collect stamps from different people all over the country. it's the hiding part that's got me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007 05:45:15 PM »

Sounds like lots of fun!!  I looked at the website and there are a few sites near my home... I think I'll go looking for them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007 05:58:10 PM »

Hey, miss_k!  There are no stupid questions!  I'm so glad you're asking, and wanting to find out more.... Smiley

In this swap, we'd just be swapping for your supplies (the actual carved stamp or journal) that you'd use to go hunt for the letterboxes. 

I had never thought of your idea.... that would be kinda neat, to just trade a stamped image to put in your own book.  But half the fun is hunting for the hidden box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007 06:00:07 PM »

jillie, you should really try it!  Let me know if you do, and what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

miss_k

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007 06:15:47 PM »

okay...it's starting to make a little more sense to me now...i'll keep reading up on it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
savvymercury

black nails= badass knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007 06:54:46 PM »

that is freaking sweet.  i feel like there are no letterboxes near my location though : (  however, i would be up for the swap.  maybe i'll start a trend here in nowheresville, pennsylvania??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
savvymercury

black nails= badass knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007 07:02:40 PM »

i stand corrected, there is one near me!  weekend journey!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
CoverGirl X Star Wars Collection Unboxing
Inside the Allure Beauty Closet: Favorite Purple Makeup
Rihanna Proves Magenta Lips Are the New Red
CoverGirl Debuts Epic STAR WARS Makeup Collection
6 Real Women Land Cover of a Major Magazine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Dress
Wonderful Washi
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...