A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: English Tea party help  (Read 512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ameythestlily
« on: September 10, 2007 10:44:02 PM »

So I've been invited to a formal english tea party on the 23th of this month. I can't wait to go but.....what should I wear? I need help and some ideas for a quick outfit (that hopefully requires minimal sewing). Do you guys think I should find/make gloves, a hat, dress,  stockings?? I'm totally clueless asa to what to do, please help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
Cherry_Chickentoes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007 03:09:16 AM »

Does the tea party have a "theme"?  Will it be Victorian style or some other kind of style?  That might give you a better idea what direction to go in.  Don't be afraid to ask the hostess or host what way to go in the dressing department.

After that, I would hit the vintage/antique/thrift stores.  The one I used to work at had a great selection of hats and gloves.  If you sew - even better - find a vintage pattern from the era, and sew an outfit for yourself.

Have fun with this!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will trade my ephemera scans for your ephemera scans - please PM me if you are interested!
akittencalledjen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007 11:21:39 AM »

If you could give us some more info on the event, that would be really useful so we can give you a bit more guidance. Smiley

If it's regency themed (Jane Austen era) Take a look at this site for what to wear: http://www.janeausten.co.uk/resources/index.ihtml?id=19&step=2

If it's not themed but modern and formal, I would say less is more.  Elegance and femininity are of utmost importance so keep it classic and simple.

You may find this to be a useful resource for tea and tea ceremonies in general: http://www.sippingtea.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So excited that Victoria Magazine is back in circulation!
SuperLupus
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007 03:06:17 PM »

I'm getting such a kick out of this! I'm hosting a full tea (at a tea room) the 24th. I don't know that most tea parties will be themed or pretentious as people perceive. You'll want to know if it is a garden party or in a tea room. In general it's a nice time to nosh and chat. For history and etiquitte:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HighTeaHistory.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ameythestlily
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007 03:24:26 PM »

Thanks guys....I'll ask my MIL if she knows what the theme will be (since she's invited too, maybe we'll even come up with a MIL/DIL theme for our clothes (I hope...sometimes I'm not sure if she likes me or not kinda hoping this goes well. for us and the hostess  Wink)).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oscar Inspired Hairstyles
4 Short and Sassy Hairstyles For Spring
Warrior Girl Hairstyles at the Nicole Miller FW 2014 Show
High Bun and Sun-Kissed Makeup Tutorial
DIY Avocado Hair Treatment
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...