A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,666
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn shops in Boston--any suggestions?  (Read 405 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goodfibrations
« on: September 09, 2007 10:04:16 AM »

Hello, I am going to be in Boston toward the end of September with lots of time to cool my heels while my DH is in meetings.  We will be at the Colonnade Hotel in the Backbay area.  I see some shops on Googlemaps in that area, but I would love to hear from anyone who has actually been in the area.  I am an instructor/ salesperson at my local yarn shop here in the Minneapolis area.   I am curious to see other shops in another part of the country.  Any info about what the shops are like would be really helpful.  I am also a felter/spinner.  Would love to  find shops of the weaving/spinning kind.  Thank you!  Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007 10:53:37 AM »

oh, i hope you get some answers to this!  i'm going to cambridge on wednesday and i managed to forget that my yarn diet doesn't apply when i'm on vacation.   Grin

also, where in minneapolis are you?  the boy's parents live in stillwater so we're up there a couple of times a year.  any suggestions?  i've been to the sheepy yarn shoppe in white bear lake, but i think that's the only one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007 02:23:11 PM »

I'm heading to Boston at Thanksgiving time, and honestly, I DON"T want to know where the yarn shops are~! That means I'll visit it, and buy yarn!!!!!
AHHHHH!!!

(ok, you know I'll still peak here, and note any shops lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
iameannis

Mais, je m'appelle pas Ferdinand!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 03:14:50 PM »

If you're going to be in Boston, you should rent a car and make the hour long trip out to the WEBS store (www.yarn.com) in Northampton, MA. It's intense! Plus, Northampton has a very cute downtown full of all sorts of boutiques. And, it has at least one other yarn store that I know of.

Other than that, I don't really know the yarn stores in Boston. You might check the Massachusetts board in the City Guide. Sorry I couldn't help you out more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007 03:20:19 PM »

Oh no, I forgot about Webs!  Hopefully I'll be too busy getting ready for my friend's wedding that I won't have time to go out there.  Because if I have time, I will spend next month's grocery money there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
O_R_they
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007 03:21:19 PM »

windsor button in downtown crossing is really nice. everything seems to be average price. i know there's one in harvard square, but it seemed expensive. i also think there's a store on newbury st. (which isn't far from dowtown crossing,  on the other side of the common). newbury, though, is always expensive.

hopefully other people will provide some more stores. i think there was a similar topic on the massachusetts board that you can check out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007 09:04:20 PM »

Here's some -

Woolcott's in Cambridge (Harvard Square) - that's accessible by the train

Snow Goose in Milton, it's on the expressway (93 South) that's not far from Boston, but you do need a car.

Sheep Street in Canton, about 1/2 hr drive from Boston, and it's also walking distance from the Commuter Rail train

Dee's Nimble Needles in Walpole, also about 1/2 hr drive from Boston (if you're driving, you can hit Snow Goose, Sheep Street, and Dee's in one trip easily)

Mind's Eye in Cambridge (Porter Square, I think) - also accessible by train - this one is small, but has spinning supplies too.

If you have a car, Circles Salon is in W. Roxbury (which is part of Boston, I'm not sure if it's train accessible) they just moved, they're open by appt now I think. They have a website.

I know Sheep Street & Mind's Eye have websites, I'm not sure about the other 2.

(and I just doublechecked the drive to Northampton, because an hour didn't seem right - it's closer to a 2 hour drive.)

I've heard of a yarn/bead shop on Newbury Street in Boston which is probably walking distance from the Colannade Hotel, the concierge there can probably find out details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodfibrations
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007 04:25:07 AM »

Thank you soooo much, everybody!  I am very excited to plan my trip!  I will post separately about Minneapolis area shops, and the upcoming "shop hop."   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poerava
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007 12:28:43 PM »

There is one on Newberry st, it small but they have a lot and are super friendly, sorry i can't remember the name.

I second windsor button, it's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Poerava
Please consider being a bone marrow/stem cell donor, you could help save a life. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html
I have vintage sewing pattern in various sizes available for trade. Also a vintage knitting booklet available. pm if intereste
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Production: How to Shoot Indoor Scenes
Writing the Script
Post Production: Telecine
Auditions and Casting for a Film
Post Production: Editing, Music and Visual Effects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...