A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resin...im LOST!  (Read 847 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2004 11:56:12 PM »

ok well im always just wondering around here and see lots of stuff to do with resin but never thoguht anything of it..but then started watching crafters coast to coast..and now i want to do it...how did you all learn and where from...i always want to learn new stuff so please help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
notwired
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004 05:32:57 AM »

I saw that same episode & loved the jewelry. I have used resin, but only for decoupage type stuff....if you pour it over a flat surface, it dries to a glass-like sheen, & is rock hard.  Anything you've pasted beneath looks awesome & is preserved. Great way to fix up old tables (I also made coasters, trays etc.).
 I am going to attempt the jewelry-I have never added colors, and am not sure about forming shapes-you can pour and have a flat disc form, but I wonder if she has molds. I'm going to check the show site for any instructions.
 As for hardening ... contrary to how it seemed on tv, it takes a long time for the resin to harden-24 -48 hours isn't unusual, depending on type used & humidity.
Just be careful-it's basically formed by the reaction caused by mixing 2 different liquids, & of course you have to mix it yourself (otherwise it'd already be hard!). It stinks, is harmful to your skin, and definitely requires gloves & ventilation. That said, it looks incredible when set (& the smell disappears).
I'll let you know if I figure anything out. I bought mine at H. Depot, in the paint/finishes aisle. It was about $16.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004 07:24:26 AM »

Man, I've been thinking about this, too! My favorite blog to follow- http://novim.net- has a bunch of resin-casts on it. With dead moths inside. Dunno if I'd do that, but they're so neat!

Not much help, sorry, but mayhap I'll email the journal-writer and ask how she does it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
icandostufftough
MELONhead

cant help myself

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004 10:52:59 PM »

thanks alot.. im still looking..i just bought some new craft itmes to experiment  with (shrinky dink, magnets,flat marbles and some clear glue..hopeing to use kind of like resin)  but no real resin..ill keep looking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"reality leaves alot to the imagination"

I dig things and people
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scallops in Vinaigrette Sauce Recipe
Scallops and Rice Recipe
Rock Fish in Cilantro Sauce Recipe
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 2/2
How to Make Smoked Salmon Hash Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...