A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: About carding  (Read 806 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Weddy_in_Paris
« on: September 09, 2007 09:49:37 AM »

Sorry if this topic is not in the right place... I'd like to card some wool for drop spinning and wet felting, no big amounts of wool, just to mix colors... My problem is simple : I can't afford buying hand carders right now. I was thinking about using those dog brushes (which looks carders much alike, but maybe I am wrong with that ?). What do you think of it ? Has someone tried this ? Thanks for your advices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007 11:48:54 AM »

I'm curious about this too.  I'm always kind of tempted to get carders, but its a lot of cash after just recently buying a wheel.  If its simply blending you want to do, maybe you should consider making a DIY hackle?  I'm considering making the one with hair picks:

http://yarnknotzi.blogspot.com/2007/05/diy-hackle.html

http://kraftie.wordpress.com/2007/06/14/hackle-hackle/

cider moon had a great tute, but for some reason it isn't up.  hmmm.  but basically you clamp a hair pic (or a few of them side by side) onto a board and then pull the fibers you want to blend through the "hackle" and/or then through a diz.  make sense?  i haven't tried this, but it seems to work for a lot of spinners! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007 12:49:08 PM »

Thanks Betzi, the hackle is a great idea and it looks pretty simple to make. I am currently making a DIY skein swift too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 09:06:03 PM »

Good for you!  I'd love to know how it turns out!

While you are at it, might as well complete your collection of tools with a DIY Niddy Noddy:

http://www.doctordirt.com/blog/niddy.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007 10:51:57 PM »

Betzi, you make my day ! Thanks a lot for the niddy noddy tutorial ! I was also thinking about making one with a broomstick, but PVC is much lighter. And the T connector is a great idea.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007 09:41:41 AM »

I have carded with dog slicker brushes, its the same effect, only much tinier (the biggest dog brush is like 1/3 of student carders) you may want to troll ebay. I picked up my first pair of handcards for less then the cost of two dog brushes (there was a bit of water staining on them which is why they were cheap)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007 10:10:10 AM »

Glad to help Weddy.  You actually inspired me to compile a collection of DIY fiber equipment links in my blog!  I have had them bookmarked forever, so it was pretty easy to pile em all into one post. 

Star, I wish I had luck like you!  I can never find good deals on combs!  I see a lot of antique ones for an ok price, but most of the time they are pretty beat up.  And from what I understand, that "toothy" cloth is pretty expensive to come by.   Oh, and I never really thought about the size of dog combs.  i guess that could very well be a deterrent from buying them.  Shucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kraftie

I love Personal Swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007 06:56:38 PM »

cider moon had a great tute, but for some reason it isn't up.  hmmm.  but basically you clamp a hair pic (or a few of them side by side) onto a board and then pull the fibers you want to blend through the "hackle" and/or then through a diz.  make sense?  i haven't tried this, but it seems to work for a lot of spinners! 

Hehe.. I love my hackle but I really need to get some better colors of solids to blend with the toy I made.  Cider Moon has a GREAT tutorial!  But according to their blog they're having some sort of "legal issues" so the whole store/blog everything seems to be down right now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Buri Shabu-Shabu
How to Make Classic Pad Thai
How to Make Your Own Sriracha
How to Make Botamochi
How to Make Soup Dumplings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...