A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scarf Lengths? Not sure how long? Help!  (Read 1191 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annamhudson
Love, Laugh, Live, Craft!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 06, 2007 09:31:45 PM »

I am making a child's scarf and I am not sure what would be the appropriate size should be. any suggestions? They child is 10 years old I am also going to make one for a 13 year old length on that one too? Thank you so much for you help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jacklad
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 10:12:55 PM »

Short enough to be easily worn *under* the coat.

Living in Canada, every year a couple of kids die of strangulation because of scarves, something I'm sure you'd like to avoid. Long scarves can get caught in car doors, on playground equipment, on bus seats or even just pulled by friends... with tragic consequences. "Between 1982 and 1999, there were 18 playground deaths in Canada. Seventeen of these were due to strangulation when skipping ropes, drawstrings or scarves got caught on playground equipment.
Source: Health Canada"

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/play-terraindejeu_e.html
http://www.sickkids.on.ca/SKCForParents/section.asp?s=Safety+Information+by+Topic&sID=10774&ss=Seasonal+Safety&ssID=11338

Have you considered a neckwarmer?

Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annamhudson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 10:43:51 PM »

No I haven't considered a neckwarmer. I am making a Harry Potter scarves and I am not sure the children will be wearing it for warmth since they live in TX! More of costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007 10:57:38 PM »

if it's for looks, and I think the HP scarves were fairly long, go for 2/3 their height or slightly more.  That's typically what I do for regular adult scarves too, so I can't see how it would be different for kids... just make sure it's their height you're knitting to, not an adult.  I can remember swimming in extra-long scarves as a kid, which were the perfect size for my mother.

Jacklad's right, there's definitely a risk of injury with kids wearing scarves etc.  but I'd like to point out that 18 deaths in 17 years is pretty darn low given the number of children in Canada, and the number of other accidental child deaths not attributable to strangulation by scarves or drawstrings.  and one would hope that the kids you're making these for would know better than to put themselves at such a risk, or are being observed enough to know when such a risk is possible...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacklad
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007 06:08:53 AM »

Jacklad's right, there's definitely a risk of injury with kids wearing scarves etc.  but I'd like to point out that 18 deaths in 17 years is pretty darn low given the number of children in Canada, and the number of other accidental child deaths not attributable to strangulation by scarves or drawstrings.  and one would hope that the kids you're making these for would know better than to put themselves at such a risk, or are being observed enough to know when such a risk is possible...

That's only playground deaths, a stat that was readily to hand. It doesn't account for vehicle strangulations or other general occurrences, unfortunately. It also doesn't count kids that end up brain damaged but live.   Cry

Having three kids, I can tell you that their risk assessment abilities are generally in the range of pretty damned low to nonexistent.  Grin That's particularly true when they aren't made aware of the risk. As a costume accessory, it shouldn't be a problem if the kids are supervised and if they are made aware of the dangers (particularly around car or bus doors, for example).

But for day to day wear, loose neckwarmers are much safer.

Jackie

THIS ROCKS   Logged
annamhudson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007 11:04:15 AM »

Well I am making scarves so I really need a good length for them! I have already started it and have about 36 inches so far! Any serious help would be appreciate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007 11:49:19 AM »

I always think scarf lengths are tricky.  Some people like their scarves very, very long -- long enough to wrap around their neck a few times with a bunch still hanging down.  I usually like mine long enough to wrap around my neck once, but not stick out under a hip-length ski jacket.

Since they live in Texas, maybe just make them long enough to wrap around their necks once.  With my scarves, ones that are as long as I am tall are perfect to do this, but I'm an adult.

Lion's website says 48 inches (no fringe) on all of their child patterns that I looked at.  I think that would work for the 10 year old.  Add some inches for the teen.  Maybe make it as long as the teen is tall.

They won't care much about the length if they're getting Harry Potter scarves!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 11:51:18 AM by Petunia0384 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
annamhudson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007 11:51:17 AM »

Thank you that helps greatly! 48 inches sounds good to me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007 02:24:33 PM »

for any scarf, for anyone (unless it's a big, thick, cabled scarf), I try to make the length equal to the wearer's height.  for really bulky scarves (irish hiking scarf and moreso), I go even longer, maybe height + 6" and more fringe.  (the bulkieness makes a longer length necessary, I think.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annamhudson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007 02:32:00 PM »

That is what I was thinking maybe their height so then it would only be half down when they wear it! Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
#AdamSays: 3 Scarf-Tying Tricks for Casual Chic
3 Ways to Wear Metallics
Rock Your Summer Clothes This Winter in 4 Easy Steps
How to Style Sports Luxe Shorts
Play Up Your Curves Like Kim K, JLo, & Beyonce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...