A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: too many friends....too little money! uh oh!  (Read 3134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessdell
« on: December 10, 2004 05:19:08 PM »

ahh help! you never realize how many close friends you have until it's time to buy them gifts and then you look in your wallet and.....uh oh .....nothin! haha i need major help....and QUICK! i was obviously a procrastinator this year..... so here it goes.....

my best friend: she is absolutely crazy! we're basically like twins......she likes basketball, swimming, and she loves God. She likes anything that's a little crazy....belts, tshirts and stuff......but thing is i'm really tight on cash and i already got her a cd so i just need something else plus something for her bday at the beginning of January

my crazy athletic friend: she loves sports, and she plays soccer and is a competitive cheerleader, yet you would NEVER picture her as the "cheerleader type" she loves God and is kind of "sporty" i guess you'd say....she also likes to read and play the guitar.....

my sweet original friend: she's got a lot of my personality. .....she loves God, and she loves being just a little different in how she dresses....she's very modest, she likes shoes purses....all that's like me so i can really relate....just don't have a wonderful budget...

my boy crazy friend: she's really girly and very "fashion-conscious" which makes me fear what i could possibly make her without her thinking it was totally "not in style" haha sad but true....she's about as opposite from me as they come....only thing in common is that she's a Christian.......she's also a competitive cheerleader .....stereotypical...haha

my other girly sensitive friend: she also, i'm afraid, is very style-conscious....if it's not a trend she just doesn't have it .....she doesn't have to have actual brand names but she wants them to look like it.....for instance she has a boot leg kate spade bag...and personally i don't understand it....like really.... I'D much rather have something that DIDN'T look like some whacko brand name....but she's also a competitive cheerleader and plays soccer....yea she's the stereotypical "cheerleader"....ok i'm gonna quit tellin you now that they're Christians...because all of the people i'm listin are...

my bubbly friend: she's totally a bubbly person.....also a competitive cheerleader....she really likes the whole chandelier earring thing...and purses.....

my punk rock friend: she's kinda like me in that she's not into brand names....she's kinda into the punk rock thing....she loves her pyramid studded belt and stuff like that....she likes evanescence, avril lavigne, and david crouder band......

my soccer lovin friend: i think i met her playin soccer when we were little...anyways she really enjoys it and she is totally crazy and incredibly funny...she can make everyone laugh

my crazy crazy friend: she's a hard core republican (YAY! haha) and proud of it....she's really into the political scene....haha....she really likes purses and she's completely hilarious.....she likes the band third day, if you've ever heard of them...

my sweet athletic friend: she used to play soccer and do gymnastics and now she's a competitive cheerleader--she likes lotr but she's not a fanatic or anything....she also is really funny and likes simple plan and yellowcard and stuff...i'm stuck on this one......have no clue what to get

my crazy social friend: she's is VERY social....she's always on the phone...she really loves to shop and she plays soccer and tennis ....she also used to be my best friend so we know quite a bit about each other....she's really funny and totally crazy

i think thats all for now......HELP!!!!!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004 08:56:18 AM »

Okay, here goes:

best friend:  If you can crochet or knit, there's a thread on "mini-scarves" started by lothruin.  It buttons shut and is very cute, and takes less than a skein and can be done in two hours. 

Athletic friend:  Get her a biography of one of her sports/musical idols/inspirations.  Or something guitar related.  There's a thread on making earrings out of guitar picks somewhere around here.  You just buy the earring hooks and jump rings from the craft store, and then melt a hole in the pick with a hot pin.  Super easy, fast, and cheap, but original.

Original friend:  Not sure what kind of different her dressing is like.  But you could get her a "make your own T-shirts" kit.  Get some ink-jet iron-on transfer paper, and T-shirts in different colors, and then a CD with a bunch of pictures you think she'd like.

Boy-crazy friend and girly friend:  These are tough, but maybe you can make a "how to be a fashionist" kit, with a high-end fashion mag like W, some over-the-top knock-off sunglasses, a book on the history of fashion, or for the second one, if you're artistic or you know someone who is, you could design her her own logo in paint or photoshop, with her initials, maybe, and print it onto a T-shirt so it looks like a high-fashion logo shirt, the give her a CD with the design file on it so she can reuse it later.  Or instead of a T-shirt, you could embroider it, really little, on some trendy-looking knock-off shirts or bags or whatever.  Then everyone will ask her what label it is, and she can say it's her own!

Bubbly friend:  Chandalier earrings are surprisingly easy to make.  You could make them yourself, or buy her a kit, with all the hardware, silver wire, beads, a little pair of pliers, and a then find a how-to somewhere and print it out so it looks nice. 

Punk friend:  I had a friend who made a bunch of leather wrist bands once out of belts he found at the thrift store.  He cut them up and added snaps, and that was pretty much it.  He needed a special machine to add the snaps, so that's the hard part.  You could make her a set of neck-tie belts.  They're really easy.  Find funky skinny ties from the thrift store or your local TJ Maxx, then sew D rings on.  There's a thread here somewhere on it.  You could make her a set of them in all different colors. 

Soccer friend:  Anything soccer themed.  I'm stumped on this one.  Maybe, like a game-day kit.  A little bag with Gatorade, energy bars (although, maybe soccer season's too far away for perishables), a towel, extra socks, never having played it, I don't really know what kinds of stuff you'd want on game day, but I'll bet you know, and finally, a set of printed, laminated inspirational sayings, maybe from the bible, with little decorations on them.

Political friend:  Buy her a political book.  Or...there are websites you can go to to make your own bumperstickers.  You could have on made that says, like, "Cheney 2008" or something like that.  Or, "Her Name 2034" with one of your other friends or a politician she respects in the vice president's position, or something funny like that.  The stickers are only a couple bucks, so it's not too expensive for a joke.  You can put it in the book as a book mark.

Athletic friend:  I'm not much help on this one.  But if she's got a lot of ribbons, and if you know enough about what they're from (maybe you can conspire with her mom?) or if you or any of your other friends were in tournaments together, you could make a photo album, with copies of those photos, and little things written in them, with spots for her ribbons to go.

Social friend:  I recommend a date book, but then write funny things into throughout the year.  Like shopping dates for you two, and then some funny little sayings to make her laugh, or write "Indulgence Day" with a gift certificate to Ben and Jerry's at a couple places in it, or whatever else. 

Phew.  Good luck with all of that; you've got your hands full!

Let us know how it comes out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
lollipop
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004 10:22:43 AM »

I know exactly what you're going through....I have a lot of close friends too...and they're christian and crazy, most are more "original" or whatnot...

bath and body works has a great coupon out right now, it expires december 19, though, so hurry.... anyway, you get a free tutti dolci lipgloss (worth $10) w/any purchase. they sell little gift bags and boxes there for $1, so you can buy a bag (it comes w/a little package of tissue paper, too) for $1.06 after tax, get the lipgloss "free", and voila, there's your gift, bag and all

heres a link for the printable online coupon:

http://bbw.m0.net/m/p/bbw/tuttidolci.asp?d=ccc9cac7eefba1b8a6f0f3ecc0948f82f8e7f4e6fdc7b79081c2efe1c0ced094889798c2c6d1d4d4cff3fba1bda6e0ebe8c4948995bab0b8bfb19ab2989f92aced6c78776f5b5f48424f4a7558647d7b391b1a0f16102d1830373e&a=566

granted, it's one coupon per customer, but I'm having my mom and siblings come into the store to help.... and i'm going back more than once, hehe. they're really nice lipglosses, too... sorry I don't have a more original idea. hope this helps your budget anyway. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
lollipop
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004 10:57:30 AM »

also, if your friends are the type that like making stuff...at least out of duct tape anyway... michael's has duct tape for $3, and if you use a coupon, like their 40 or 50% off ones, it's even cheaper. they have all sorts of fun colors, like lime green (the color I'm getting for a friend), pink (one I got for me Smiley, purple, blue, i think orange... and not sure about the rest, if there's more... but yeah... all my friends make duct tape wallets and purses and such... one of my guy friends even made a duct tape corsage for his date for prom... it was so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
jessdell
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004 05:21:47 PM »

thank you both!

craftmatic-she would flip out over a bumpersticker like that!! thanks! also the tie belt thing is really cool! i've got one but i always just tie it in a knot, never thought of the d-ring! whether or not she'll like it i'm not sure but i'll certainly keep it mind for myself anyways.. Cheesy...yea i had figured i'd make my friend guitar pick earrings, i know she'd like that! .....thanks!!!

lollipop- that coupon is wonderful! thanks so much! my high-maitenence friends would thank you too! ( Roll Eyes ha!) i'm afraid they wouldn't really appreciate anything i could make for them....but bath and body works would satisfy them, and the $1.06 price tag is wonderful too!

thank you both! now back to my crazy present making!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbles7718

Even penguins have bullies...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004 01:48:00 PM »

Dollar stores have some good stuff sometimes,  (real $1 stores, not $2, $3 stores)  There are a few near where I live.  They sell candles and stuff, you could melt them down and make your own or something.  If your friends like random things or inside jokes they may have something there too.  Like me and my friend are getting my very straightlaced friend like a corset and stuff for x-mas, and I found a mug that says "pussycat" on it in the dollar store, just to add to the theme.
Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~It is a sad day when you look in the mirror and you see the wall behind you~
wordlyobsession
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004 09:28:28 PM »

ok ideas:
-personalized bible covers
-scarfs
-cross jewelry
-hand made soap and lotions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004 11:40:42 PM »

Ok, I know you've got lots of good ideas, but here's a couple more:

For your soccer friend you could make her a little soccer ball shaped bag, either by finding soccerball material, or sewing black and white hexagon (?) shapes together (although that would be a lot of work!!!). Or you could get out the fabric paint/marker and paint the shapes on the fabric.

Some hand-made earrings or other jewelry is always good for your fashion-conscious friends, especially if you copy some fashionable jewelry that you know they would like. You could make a whole bunch of friendship bracelets (not the macrame ones!!) with cool beads and maybe alphabet letters with their names, or cool short sayings on them.

You could make some cute jordy bags or some other cute purses for your purse-loving friends. I know from my purse-loving friends that you can NEVER have too many cute purses!!!  Wink You could make a telephone applique purse for your social friend.

For your punk-rock friend you could stencil a picture of her favourite band/person onto a tee. You could also do this for your political friends - stencil sayings and pictures etc. Second-hand shops are good for getting tees (that is, if they don't mind wearing second-hand clothes  Wink) Stencils are also pretty good on skirts, or simple tote bags, which would be easy to make a whole bunch of.

If you know any of them write in a journal, or they like to draw, you could make them a journal using basic white printing paper (which isn't to expensive) and cover the covers with things that they like. Eg. Cheerleading stuff for the cheerleaders, sporty pictures for the sporty friends, Christian images, fashion etc. etc.

Ok, well, I'm sure you've got PLENTY of good ideas now! So good luck and I'm sure they'll love anything you'd make!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004 01:14:53 PM »

I just read this cool idea in Real Simple.  If you all hang out together at the same time, you could buy a whole bunch of $5 gift cards for all different kinds of places and then put them all into a wrapped box with a hole cut in to the top of it.  Then you can just pass the box around and everyone can reach in and grab one.  It makes it more fun, and if someone really wants a starbucks card or something, they can trade.

Sara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004 02:58:30 PM »

For years my dad has played a game on Chirstmas where he buys variations on the same thing for each of the girls.  Then he makes us guess which one is meant for whom.  He recently confessed that, after all this time, he never assigned us our gifts--he just figured we'd each get what we wanted if we sorted it out for ourselves!  So, that could be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Most Talked About Oscars Dresses Of All Time
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
10 Heinous Trends From the 2000s That Should Never Come Back
How to Remove Wrinkles from Clothing Without an Iron!
Guide to Wearing Your Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...