A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Potential Fashion Emergency!  (Read 1394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeni_loves_you
« on: September 07, 2007 08:06:11 PM »

For a class I took last fall, we wrote poems that are included in a new anthology of poems, short stories, and essays written about the Big Island of Hawaii (where I live). Well, since the book came from the printers over the summer, we postponed the book launch until now. It's at the beginning of next month.

Here's the dilemma I'm having:
A friend of mine purchased this outfit for me to wear to the party. She also bought one for another friend because we've helped her so much this past year with the book and other things. Since she bought it on Ebay, and there's a good chance that it'll come in right before the party, I wanted to make sure I have options on how to alter quickly if the need arises. I'm not positive it'll fit. I heard from someone else that traditional salwars are made with extra fabric in the side seams and that it shouldn't be hard for me to let it out if I need to, but what about the sleeves? They don't look like they stretch.
So if it doesn't fit, how should I alter it if I'm not able to let it out enough? (or at all for that matter.) I thought I'd ask here because you're all crafty people and might be able to come up with creative ideas that won't take away from the look of the outfit too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007 06:35:07 PM »

What a lovely thought from your friend.  But I feel for you... it can't be a good feeling worrying about whether it will fit or not and not knowing how long you'll have to remedy any fit issues.  It sounds like your main concern is that it might turn out to be too small, which is the hardest thing to fix if it turns out there isn't anything to play with in the seam allowances.  Double check that eBay ad, as it seemed to have a reasonably detailed list of measurements and you might find you are worried for no reason.

As a worst-case-scenario I guess you will need to alter the outfit, possibly in a limited time.  If you could match or complement the fabric easily then just adding in a strip either side would probably be best, but if the cost and availability of fabric could be an issue with limited time to finish it off you might need another plan.  Perhaps ensure you have a comfortable, form fitting t-shirt or shell top in the same colour (or black) handy to wear underneath, and purchase a package or two of a nice satin ribbon in the closest possible colour match to the tunic.  Then, if the whole thing was too small you could undo and finish both side seams (including the sleeve) and add in a ribbon lattice/ladder to rejoin the seams but adding room.  My awful picture will hopefully explain what I mean:

The ribbon is something you could purchase ahead of time and get away with not having such a good colour match.  Also, if it turned out you didn't need it you can easily use it for something else and it won't feel like you've wasted money.

There are other more expert sewers than me around here... so hopefully before the outfit arrives you will be well-armed with plenty of options.  Congratulations on your published work and I hope the launch is a fabulous occasion for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
ldykat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007 02:31:46 PM »

if it's really a bad case scenario you could just let out the under-seam on the sleeves.  or if there are pockets or some other extra fabric in the pants you could make a gusset.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Soprych
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 02:46:27 PM »

That fabric will show if you let it out.  As a last resort, the pants and the stole will fit, the color is wonderful.  I am sure you will look beautiful.  I have some kameez that I consider seasonal - I cannot wear them during my fat season!

Alean
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007 04:38:19 AM »

It looks like this is made in India.  Shalwaars (pants) usually don't have pockets, so don't count on that.  The pants are usually roomy and loose, but roomy enough for you depends on your size.  Pants are usually drawstring waisted, and frequently each pant leg is one piece, so no seam down the side.  The kameez is also usually a bit loose, although generally, looser on skinnier women and tighter on bigger women - as in, that's the local style of wearing them.  Why, I don't know.  Smiley

At any rate, if you fit within the measurements as posted, then there is a decent possibility that it will fit fine.

ETA:  Also, when I have my shalwaars made for me, the seamstress usually uses about an inch for seam allowance.  The ready mades at the stores also usually have about an inch for seam allowance.  And yes, we do also get imports from India here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007 04:41:16 AM by quidscribis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeni_loves_you
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007 08:51:14 PM »

Thanks everyone! It came in and I'm supposed to go and pick it up from my friend's office tomorrow. (Well...Monday since I'll be out of town from tomorrow morning.) We'll see what happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeni_loves_you
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007 01:41:51 AM »

And...It fit! It actually fit perfectly despite the fact that I could have worn it as a dress if the slits on the sides hadn't gone up so high. LoL. I'm sure someone from the party has pictures so I'll go hunt them down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007 03:35:46 AM »

That's fantastic news.  Photos would be a bonus - hope your launch went well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007 01:19:33 AM »

jeni, shalwaars are like that - basically a dress with a slit to the hips.  I know exactly what you mean.  Smiley  Glad to hear it fit well.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mimsy Borogrove
Sewing since forever

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007 01:26:11 PM »

Oh, good. I've been following this, and I'm a complete sucker for a happy ending.

Mim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nice to be here!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Bob
Thick Hair 101
Styling Tips for Fine Hair
How to Straighten Curl Hair
How to Style a Braided Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...