A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renovated play structure- picture heavy!  (Read 1724 times)
Tags for this thread: playhouse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« on: September 07, 2007 05:51:08 PM »

When we bought our house 2 years ago the play structure in the backyard came with it as the previous owners kids had outgrown it. It is probably about 15 years old. It was still solid but wearing, rusting in a few places, and there was a serious grass issue in the lower play area. So the first thing we did was strip the threadbare canopy, rusty slide and swings.
Semi-

The next thing I did was decide where I wanted it (our yard is huuuuuuuuge) and built a tiny patio for the whole thing to rest on.

The next step was moving it. We used some metal fence posts and just ancient-Egyptianed it across the yard (towing it by man power while rolling it on the posts). this was a lot easier than I thought it would be as the whole thing weighs about 200 pounds. Two strong men & round objects under it, it took about 15 minutes including manuvering it past the Peach tree without cutting branches.

Then we sanded, and sanded, and sanded. And then we painted, and painted, and painted!

And then I got really serious with the painting and played off some of my girls favorite pretend games, both of which are variations on 'Store', ticket booth and sweet shop.

The canvases took me two weeks, it's one set of canvases with sweet shop on one side & ticket booth on the reverse. They are fairly weatherproof but we take them down to store out of the killer south Texas sun when not in use. Of course my older daughter has put in orders for a space ship and a pirate ship next.

The next part I have to give credit to my dear Dad for- he made the ladder and slide hinge so we could mow more easily!

Whew! I think I'm done with the backyard untill it gets cooler!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 06:00:15 PM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007 06:06:45 PM »

wow, you guys did a great job!  I love the hinged slide (such a great idea!) and the signs.  what a great playscape.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kedrock
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007 06:20:42 PM »

Wow.  That looks like a kid's dream!  Looks like it was worth all the effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 04:51:43 AM »

You just won my "parent of the day" award (that I just founded)! Smiley Haha.

I love the canvases, they are so great, so detailed! It's easy to tell you put a lot of work into them. They look very professional...

I'm toying with the idea to do something quite like this, but for inside use. I've been thinking: Store, Hospital, Theatre (where you could add the red curtains thing), Spaceship, Bakery, Hair Salon, Castle, Restaurant... How did I ever NOT think of a pirate ship? That's brilliant.

Great work! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007 07:07:19 AM »

When I was little my mom got some spring tension curtain rods (they are really cheap) and did two curtains so we could do puppet shows in the doorway between the kitchen and TV room. That's always sorta stuck with me as I loved it a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007 10:12:18 AM »

I'm pressing this rocks because it does. Great Reconning. And I envy your big yard.

The next step was moving it. We used some metal fence posts and just ancient-Egyptianed it across the yard (towing it by man power while rolling it on the posts). this was a lot easier than I thought it would be as the whole thing weighs about 200 pounds. Two strong men & round objects under it, it took about 15 minutes including manuvering it past the Peach tree without cutting branches.

Whew! I think I'm done with the backyard untill it gets cooler!
"Ancient-egyptianed"LMAO!! I'm gonna use that phrase for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate LEGOs
How To Satisfy King Cake Cravings For A Fraction Of The Calories
How to Make Chocolate Ganache Topping for a Sponge Cake
How To Make Churros With Dark Chocolate Sauce
Old-Fashioned Corn Muffins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...