A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felt Stuffie Questions  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CreativeGenes
« on: September 07, 2007 02:19:42 PM »

I am new to felt stuffies, but I have been lurking and love the patterns from Japan. My sister and I went to lunch at our fav sandwich shop yesterday and there was a new store next door.... Japan Books! I drug sis inside and found the cutest pattern books (in Japanese of course) and had to have one.
My questions are do you sew their faces and features on after they are stuffed or before? Also how stuffed do you stuff a stuffie lol? Is one kind of felt better than another for these? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007 02:24:19 PM »

It really depends on which book you have... I have been doing felt mascots for a short while, and use 3mm felt for those - that is a lot thicker than what is usually recommended (1,5mm), but I use them as keychains.

In this case, I have first embroidered the face, then attached the face to the front, sewn it together, and stuffed at the end, then continue sewing. It is actually recommended to leave a slit in the back for stuffing, but that was with thinner felt and an attached body.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeGenes
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007 03:22:19 PM »

Gilowyn, I love your keychain. I will try to post a pic of the book when DS gets home with the camera. It has 250 different stuffies in it! They are all little and sooo cute.
I started a little monkey last night with just some craft felt I had but I think it is a little too loosely woven(or felted, I guess lol). He is adorable even though he still needs his face.
I only used one strand of embroidery floss to stich him together, is that enough? Wish I could read Japanese Grin
Really appreciate your reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 06:57:32 AM »

You can sew felt stuffies lots of ways.  You can stitch them on the machine with the seams showing and trimmed as close as possible.  You could also do tiny running stitches.  You can overcast with matching sewing thread using tiny stitches or you can use a blanket stitch in the same color as the felt or any color of your choice.  If the project is big enough, you can sew on the wrong side and turn it inside out.  When sewing the stuffie together, you leave a small section open usually on a back or bottom seam, and use that opening to stuff,  When you feel it is stuffed enough, continue sewing it closed. How much to stuff is up to you and what you are stuffing.  Even if you stuff lightly, you don't want to feel empty spots.  Faces can be put on before or after.  If you are appliqueing(?) pieces it would be best to do that before sewing together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
CreativeGenes
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007 10:51:03 AM »

Okay, this is the book

And this is my first try at felt

I wish I had read the posts from gilowyn and mamarose22 (thank you both) before I did it. In the book they seemed to do the face details after stuffing, I will do it before next time! And I used craft felt cause it was all I had, probably not the best felt for these.
I will definitely do more, I really enjoyed making him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007 11:04:44 AM »

he's so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007 10:24:36 AM »

just another tip. if you have access to a copier you can always blow the pattern up to make larger ones if you want.
sometimes for me it's easier to make a big item first, and then a small one.
Or if you want a more hug-able stuffie pillow this is a good way to do it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007 04:33:58 PM »

Those are so cute! I'm about to start doing some plushies myself so will be using felt to start with. I was just wondering the number for that book so I can order it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeGenes
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007 05:18:26 AM »

Eliea, thanks, I'll have to try that.

vampedangel14, #ISBN978-4-8347-2549-0
Is that the # you mean? Lots of cute patterns in this book.

This is a penguin my ds requested. Still need some better quality felt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampedangel14

Easily craftstracted!

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007 05:00:05 PM »

Yes, that's the one, thank you. Now I just need to find somewhere that has it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Cartoon Limbs
How to Draw Detail on a Cartoon Character
How to Draw Movement on a Cartoon Character
Blackest Night Video Interview
The Art of Henna
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...