A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
304 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 9/7/07  (Read 4997 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AWynkoop
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007 12:03:47 PM »

Very beautiful and inspiring yarns/color combinations.  I am always in awe of everyone that posts on Fiber Fridays!

I have not spun in quite awhile, but after joining Secret of the Stole, I decided to spin the rest of my Sheep Shed mill ends to make the stole.  It is by no means lace weight, but I wanted a more substantial stole to keep me warm.  I ended up with 1234yds. and am pretty happy with my resulting yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007 12:06:11 PM »

Everything is sooooooooo ! wow ! Hope to to be able one day to do so nice looking yarn !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pieknits
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007 12:33:41 PM »

Frog Prince and Ritual Dance II are so cool!  Gah I can't wait until I can do stuff like that.  This my first simple 2-ply I'm pleased with.

But I'm hoping to learn more soon- so excited I just got into Yarn School!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007 12:36:02 PM »

Holy moses AWynkoop, thats quite the yardage!  go you! 

I apologize if I already posted these on a previous fiber friday.  I finally managed to get all the vacation pics off my camera to make room for yarn pics.  I haven't posted since the Tour de Fleece, so there are quite a few here.  My post is very pic heavy, sorry about that!

Hurry up summer, 360 yds of sport weight.  this is the softest merino ever!

Greek Isles, a 3-ply that has been re-plied, bulky weight aprox 100 yds, local fleece.  This is the first yarn i ever attempted to ply.  little did i know 3 plies are challenging for a first try.  The first time around it wasn't so hot, but now its wayyy improved.  the plies are hand-dyed, and the colors remind me of my honeymoon on Crete.

Maize, thick and thin, 120 yds of merino.  I was experimenting with different plying angles on this one, (and I tried out beehives of different sizes, but you can't see em here). so its a little wierd looking.  oh well, its still soft and yummy. 

Rose Garden, 100% bamboo, fingering weight, 200 yds.  i looooved spinning this.  spinning bamboo is orgasmic.  ok, not quite but almost!  I wish the pic was better, this stuff looks so much shinier in person.

Royalty, silk/merino blend,  heavy worsted weight, 96 yds.  another yarn that looks so much shinier in person, and its a much deeper blue.  stupid camera!

Fairy Godmother, batts from mandallin (so great, you *need* to get batts from her, they are delish), plied with pink holothread.  My first attempt at plying with thread.  Next skein will definitely turn out better, I learned a lot while I was doing this.  The batts were a delight to spin, however.  sooo yummy.

My son adored this skein and hung it around his neck.  He said he wanted to be yarn for halloween!  my poor kids will never turn out quite normal! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Star217
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007 01:35:33 PM »

Awynkoop you have officially inspired me. I am spinning soy silk for my Secret of the Stole but last night I gave up thinking it would be too much work. I see your bobbins and I am inspired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007 02:27:09 PM »

wow awynkoop, that's an amazing yardage! One day I might keep going for that long as well - A handspun shawl made from handspun is probably the best it can get!

And thank you pieknits, yours is a very nice 2ply, it's got something very organic looking about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tehandehness
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007 04:53:19 PM »

Peachy, I love the color and texture on that first one.

AWynkoop, thats a huge amount of yardage!  I wouldn't have been able to stay focused.

Pieknits, your first 2 ply looks much better than mine did, and I love the color.

I only have one this week.

Snickers, 260yds of 2 ply merino.  About a dk-worsted weight I think.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop!  http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=51693

Christmas Blanket 1 3/16
Christmas Blanket 2 4/16
50+ Washcloth Along 2/50
luxx

Used to be one of the rotten ones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007 06:02:45 PM »

I can't beleive that I almost forgot it was Friday! I absolutely love every yarn post. They are all gorgous and I am so inspired. I only have one skein for this week. I've got a couple of custom orders that I have been spending all my time on, but I should get some time to spin this next week.

Cherry Cola - 55 yards of corridale. My first time spinning this fiber and spinning thick and thin and I love the way it turned out. It's anywhere from fingering to bulky weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tweet me!
luxfish on twitter
I'm drinking water through my eyes, it's a trick I learned
www.luxfish.etsy.com
Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off
peachymanaangel
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007 06:25:33 PM »

Wow everyones yarn looks fantastic! ^^
I love Frog prince and Talon.

Thanks for the lovely comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
AWynkoop
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007 06:36:45 PM »

Y'all, thanks for such nice comments! I have to admit, I had the entire weekend child/husband free and did nothing except spin, watch tv and drink beer for two days. 

Betzi- I am seriously in love with that 3ply...and my blond son has a single dimple on the same side that your son does!  I love that he wants to be yarn for Halloween-so sweet!

Star217- you can do it! You only need to spin less than 43 yds a day to have it finished by the time the first clue comes out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Fix Details with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Move Selection from One Image into Another
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Adobe Photoshop CS2
Adobe Production Studio - Working with the Scrub Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...