A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oven Hot Process (In the Pot) Tutorial  (Read 27263 times)
Tags for this thread: soap , hot_process_soap , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amareluna
Saponification Expert

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2004 11:44:04 AM »

I made another batch of soap today and thought I would share the process with you.

This soap is made with a basic cold process soap recipe (including lye) but then is cooked at the end to speed up the curing time.

Before you make something like this, make sure you are prepared. Use all the safety precautions for working with dangerous chemicals- gloves, protective eyewear, etc.

Make sure that none of your tools are aluminum, as lye will eat it. I recommend you visit some sites like Kathy Miller's website ( http://www.millersoap.com/) and read up on the soapmaking ingredients, methods, and safety before you decide to try this.  Done? Good.

Here we go!

Step One: Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.

Step Two: Measure out the water for your lye. I used a very heavy anchor hocking batter bowl. Don't use glass if you can avoid it- the lye will cause the glass to become brittle and it can shatter. (This is a do as I say, not as I do situation..lol).

Step Three: Measure out the lye. Add it SLOWLY to the water and stir well. I use a special high temp rubber spatula for this. Sorry I don't have a pic of this particular operation, but lemme tell you what a bear it is to hold the lye as you're pouring it, stir AND take pictures. Without sprouting a few extra appendages, nigh on impossible for a clutz like me.

Put the lye water someplace SAFE to cool.  I sit my lye in the kitchen window- it's up high where my kids can't reach and the fumes go outside.

Step Four: Measure out the oils and add them to the pot to melt. I melt my oils in an enamel pot at a very low temp. Once melted, remove from heat so they can cool.

Step Five: Once the oils and lye have reached a point where the outside of their container is only warm to the touch (110 degrees for most of my batches for those of you who have a thermometer and want to do it the RIGHT way) Mix the lye water into the oils slowly and stick blend until it gets thick and you can see lines in it from where your mixer moves.

Step Six: Put the lid on the pot and pop it in the oven. Well...don't pop. Set gently. The pot will be warm and kinda heavy, so popping is probably not a good idea. At this point, turn the oven down to about 180 degrees.

Step Seven: Go check your email, play with your kids, surf craftster or otherwise occupy yourself for 20 minutes.

Step Eight: Open the oven, remove the lid and stir. Replace lid. Close oven. At this point the soap kinda looks like custard to me. Now go play on Craftster for another 15 minutes or so.

Step Nine: You patiently waited 15 more minutes! Now open the oven, remove the lid and stir. Replace lid. Close oven. The soap is cooking nicely- if you look at the edges of the pot (in the picture) you can see a dark ring- that part of the soap has gone from looking like white custard to looking like applesauce (in consistancy and color!). This is good, this is normal, this is what we want it ALL to do. Once it passes this stage it will turn into mashed potatoes-looking goop. Which is how we know it should be done.

Step Ten: Get your fragrance oil, essential oil, additives, etc ready. This helps pass the 15-20 minutes you'll be waiting. Possibly more. Check the soap after each 15-20 minute interval and make sure that it has gone all applesaucy and then mashed potatoey. There is no set time on how long this is going to take- I have had batches done by the 45 minute mark and some that have taken two hours. Pray to the soap goddess that your's is a short cook and hope for the best.

Step Eleven: This picture is my soap at 55 minutes. You can see how it now has the consistancy of mashed potatoes. Which is good, because now you have to stick your tounge on it, and it might help to pretend it's potatoes instead of soap. Because soap tastes icky.

Anyway, you'll want it to be about as thick as the picture above. You should be able to take a small amount and roll it into a ball- it should stick to itself at this point. Make a ball, let it cool, then pick it up and GENTLY stick the TIP of your tounge on the soap ball. If you feel like you just licked a 9 volt battery, the soap is still lye heavy and needs to go back in the oven. If it doesn't 'zap' or 'sting', it's done. In my case, the soap tasted pretty nasty but didn't sting. Yay! Take it out of the oven and turn the oven off. Yes- TURN THE OVEN OFF NOW! It really sucks to soap late at night then get up to make coffee the next morning and realize the oven has been on all night. Don't be like me.

Step Twelve: Hmm. A 12 step program? No not really- more than 12. This particular step involves adding your colorant if you are using one. I pull a healthy bit of soap out of the main pot and mix my color into it. In this case, I wasn't really adding color but some additives that would GIVE color and I wanted them to stay more concentrated. So there is my soap-in-a-bowl-with-misc. stuff-added.

Step Thirteen: You can't see it, but I'm stirring the fragrance oil into the main pot of soap now. Once it's stirred up, I add the soap-in-a-bowl-with-misc. stuff-added back to the main pot and stir that in. If you want a swirl, be gentle. If you want well mixed, go to town. You're ready for the mold!

Step Fourteen: Smoosh your mashed soap into the mold. It'll all kind of glop together and won't look very smooth or even. That's ok.

Step Fifteen: Bang the mold. Seriously. I like to hold mine about 2 inches off the floor and drop it. You may prefer a less jarring method, but the idea is to force the soap down into the mold and pound out any air bubbles. Once that's done, I like to lay a sheet of saran wrap over the top and just use my hand to press out the top and make it smoother.

Step Sixteen: Put the lid on the mold and go to bed. Well, only go to bed if you're like me and making soap at 2 am. Otherwise, just occupy yourself with other things until three or four hours have passed. Check the soap then and see if it's cooled off. If it is cool to the touch ALL THE WAY AROUND (bottom too!) then you can take it out of the mold and cut it.

I don't have pictures of this batch yet (because it's still cooling) but I'll add them when I take it out of the mold and cut it.

The soap will be somewhat (or even really) soft when you cut it. I find that *OPTIMAL* time between cutting the soap and selling or giving it away is a week to ten days, but most are dry enough to use after one day and SAFE enough to use as soon as you cut it.

Meanwhile, here is what a previously done batch looks like:

Hope you enjoyed my tute.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004 12:50:14 PM by LunaFate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saponifier For Serious Soap Makers! | Acts of Creativity My Blog
auroravioletta
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004 12:34:56 PM »

Hey thanks!
That's a great tutorial. I've been wanting to learn how to do hot-process for a while Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
pixel_dust
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004 11:11:26 PM »

Beautiful luna! One of these days I'll get around to OHP but I've got three great crockpots in steady rotation Wink Can't wait to see the pics of the finished soap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Saponification Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004 06:54:42 AM »

The crock pot method scares me LOL. All this talk about stirring down volcanoes, etc....this is so easy, you just cook it and stir it every now and then..

Here's the finished soap:

Sorry the picture isn't better. The bar is snow white and has light tan and dark brown swirly bits in it (it's scented with warm vanilla sugar) and smells SOOOOOO good.

This was my first attempt using PKO Flakes in my recipe and this particular batch is drying really well- it's almost hard already and it's only on day 2. Yay for instant gratification!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

philodendron5
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004 07:02:59 AM »

WHAT A GREAT TUTORIAL! Thank you!

Just a question, silly as it is, licking the soap?? Is there any other way to determine if it's lye heavy? There's just something about the possibility of gettng a wee lye burn on my tongue that just makes me cringe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
amareluna
Saponification Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004 07:38:32 AM »

I haven't seen any other way to test it other than maybe a pH meter? I've gotten zapped and it wasn't bad- no terrible scarring or anything, and the little zap didn't linger or hurt.

Maybe someone else has some ideas on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004 07:47:15 AM »

Some people say that if it's lye-heavy, your tongue will tingle just -before- you lick it.

The tongue-test is the only one I've ever heard of.....followed of course with lots of washing out of the mouth. Smiley

You could also try washing your hand with some, but that may not be as reliable a test. If it's lye heavy, it would make your hands sting a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
pixel_dust
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004 04:45:41 PM »

Oh c'mon.... it's just a wee little zap! Take a walk on the wild side where the die-hard soapers walk! LOL It's not that bad... really.

Luna, you know I was thinking the same thing.... seems you just putter around when doing OHP instead of CPHP (even though the volcanoes are FUN! - except when the jump right out of the pot Shocked) I think I should clean my oven first before attempting OHP - lord knows what food gunk is in there.  Roll Eyes

Oooh and your warm vanilla sugar looks and sounds DIVINE!!! My address is....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004 08:55:16 PM »

Wow...thanks, they look great!  Now I can try this and still make soap in time for Christmas without worrying about a long cure time.

What sort of proportions do you use in your lemongrass sage soap, if you use EOs that is?  I'm horribly bad at mixing my EOs, but for some reason prefer them to FOs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004 09:04:35 PM »

Bah...I just read the 'FO oil' in the ingredient list on your soap label.  Someday I'll learn to read before asking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Section the Hair to Prepare for Coloring
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Evening Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...