I made this for a swap. My partner has received, so I figure it's safe to post some pics.
I'm now on the hook to make another one... DH is a huge Doctor Who fan. Not a problem... so am I.
*** Tutorial! ***
You will need:
7-mesh plastic canvas
Blue and white worsted weight yarn (I used Red Heart)
Black embroidery floss (I used DMC #310)
1. Cut out four 31x38 pieces and one 31x31 piece of plastic canvas. Cut a square hole in the center of the 31x31 piece.
2. On each of the 31x38 pieces, fill in a white rectangle 27 across by 4 tall, 2 rows from the top. 2 rows beneath that, fill in two rectangles 12 across by 6 tall.
3. On one of the 31x38 pieces (the front), add a rectangle 8 across by 6 down, 1 row under the left windowpane (this is the "free for use of public" sign).
4. Fill in all the remaining areas with blue.
5. Fill in the 31x31 square (the top) with blue.
6. On each of the 31x38 pieces, use 3 strands of black embroidery floss to add the words "Police Box" in the long rectangle at the top ("Police Public Call Box" doesn't quite fit). Also, outline each window and add lines so that it's divided into 3 panes across by 2 tall. (If you want, you can also outline the other panels on each side. I didn't.)
7. Stitch the box together using blue yarn.
8. Pop it over a tissue box and you're done!
I used basketweave stitch throughout, but you can try other stitches for different textures.