A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,281
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saartje's Booties sizes, gauge, and using worsted weight?  (Read 815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queen_gueneviere
« on: September 06, 2007 04:10:46 PM »

Hi, to all of you great Craftster people.  Cheesy

I was wondering if anybody has figured out the exact sizing, for Saartje's Booties? Is the smaller size for a newborn and if so, do you have any idea on how long they could be worn for? Like, up to 3 months? Or, just for a couple of weeks? Or, are they super tiny?
Some babies have a large birthweight so maybe, they might not fit some newborns'?  Huh  Oh, and a gauge?

Secondly if anybody has made the larger sized ones' (it says 3 months?), do you have any idea on how long these will fit for? Up to 6 months? Or, just for a month?

Lastly, has anybody made these using a worsted weight yarn?
If so, would you mind sharing your gauge and finished size with me?  Smiley I'd appreciate that very much as, I prefer to knit with a worsted weight yarn.

Plus, I'd like the option of making these booties larger in size.
So if anyone has made these booties using ww yarn and got a larger finished size than in the pattern, I'd love it if you wouldn't mind sharing your info. with me.  Grin
The gauge, finished size (will fit from this age, to this age approx.).

Thanks so much, for any advice/help, that you could give to me. I'd love to have the option of making these adorable booties larger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jax3303
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 04:54:33 PM »

I've made this pattern twice, following instructions for newborn size both times.

The first time with Regia 6 ply DK weight on size US3 dpn's, and it came out measuring 3 1/4 inches long. Perfectly fitting my niece who was born a few days after I knit them. My Niece weighed 7 lbs 12 oz, and my niece is 2 weeks old now and still fits into them, but wont for much longer.

The second time was with Caron Simply soft, which is worsted weight, on size US4 DPN's. They measured 3 1/2 inches long when finished. I knit those the day my best friends niece was born, and when she was one day old, they were loose on her, but barely. She was born weighing 8 lbs 7 oz, and her booties still fit her, too (she's 5 days younger than my niece) and I think she'll out grow her booties in about a month.

as for how long booties will fit, that depends on how fast a specific baby grows. Babies grow fast, but all babies grow at different rates, So it's imposable to give you an accurate estimate on how long booties will fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 06:30:43 PM »

http://www.shoestorefront.com/Download/shoestorefront%20-%20shoe%20size%20chart.pdf

I can't find the one I used the other day when making these bootees, but it is a bit similar, and I think it said about 3 inches for a newborn, and 3.5 inches for about 3-6 months? Google for some more... remember that if you make them to fit a 6-month old, they will fit for longer than a smaller pair for a younger baby, because they grow more slowly as time passes. A simple gauge calculation should tell you how big your booties will end up with your particular needles, tension, and wool. I don't know what worsted is, but I recently did this in quite a different weight wool (8-ply, c. 23 st/10cm), and they were very easy to modify, you could do it without even needing a calculator, pen or pencil. You might to do a single practice bootee to get the construction and understanding down?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queen_gueneviere
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 06:51:29 AM »

Thanks so much for all of your help with this. Having specifics and a general idea on how long the booties might fit, have been a tremendous help to me.
Maybe I could try to knit them using the worsted weight, and a slightly larger needle size to get them a wee bit bigger?
Or possibly try using 2 strands held together, and much larger needles?
Thanks again and, I'd appreciate feedback from others who have made these booties as well.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Side Ponytail
How to Get a Messy Ponytail
How to Get a High Ponytail
How to Get a Basic Ponytail
How to Get Long Hair Updos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...