A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: House Haunt 2007: The Eternal Garden of Midnight: Completed Haunt Photos  (Read 4007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TrentSketch
« on: September 06, 2007 03:53:37 PM »

Everything is finished.  Done.  Complete.  Flickr slideshow at the link.

A simple guide to pic updates:
Mostly Wired Fly Trap
Sketches
Fully Wired Fly Trap
Covered Fly Trap and Carving

After a quick and easy trip to Home Depot to pick up 55 dollars worth of supplies (wood, chicken wire, and insulation board - all that's really left are new flood bulbs and paint), I began to build the first prop for my house haunt this year.  The theme's official title is The Eternal Garden of Midnight.  Basically, a freaky garden theme.  It's a very good thing.

The first prop?  The largest, naturally.  My wonderful Venus Fly Trap.

It's made of solid pine (so far) and measures just under 80 inches tall (so far).

I'll be updating this as progress continues on my biggest house haunt yet.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007 05:43:35 PM by TrentSketch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007 09:33:27 AM »

I'm excited to keep an eye on this! Love the theme.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007 09:33:41 AM by psyche » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrentSketch
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007 02:49:48 PM »

Day 2:

I'm exhausted.  I don't know why I'm exhausted, but I am.  So I didn't get as much done as I anticipated, but I'm nowhere near panicking yet.  This is the largest, hardest, and most time consuming build for the haunt, so when it's done the rest will be far easier to do.

I did get a good hunk of the wire armature done today though.

Pics:

Whole View

the base

stem and a leaf

very core of the bottom jaw

Everything that looks like it might be complete still needs a lot of tweaking, and everything that's empty still needs wire.  Lots of wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 04:42:01 AM »

I'm in awe! And I'll be following this too...

Damn we dont celebrate Halloween in Sweden - That's at least one legitimate reason to move abroad. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 12:01:40 PM »

TrentSketch- do you do this to your own house or is this for a haunted house type walk through, I'm not expressing myself very well. Do you let people go through for free? What else have you got planned?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TrentSketch
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007 07:29:29 PM »

susankg: it's my house, and people can walk/pose/photograph/film/blog about whatever they want.  It's all open to whoever. 

The weather's been conspiring against me in many ways:
- when it's really, really humid, I can't breathe well enough to work on the 8 foot+ set piece
- when it's really, really sunny, I can't see well enough even with really dark glasses to work on this without getting a migraine
- when it's raining on and off, I can't get outside and set up fast enough to get anything done.

The wood is coated with a spray polyurethane, so it's holding up well considering the lousy Jersey weather.

There is a lot more planned.  Honestly, this is going on the side of the house, where people turned this fine gentleman into a photo op last year.

Here are some loose (very, very loose) sketches of some of the other smaller pieces for the yard:

There will be one really gigantic, but not as tall, set piece in the front yard that I've mentioned in other threads.  A lot of nurseries/public gardens have been adding in man made koi/fish ponds on the property.  My yard is going to have a (hopefully) self-lit croc pit.

There are going to be ghostly assistants tending to the grounds, which I'm still developing in my head.  Ideally, it would be "floating" gloves, tools, hats, etc. with no visible bodies, but it might not work out too well in practice.  Add a nice lighting scheme, some LED/mechanical elements, the fog chillers (there will be two this year), and (time permitting) an original soundtrack, and it will be a Halloween to remember.  Time permitting, I can always add more.  An endless tunnel illusion would be nice, or a labyrinth facade in the back part of the yard made of foam insulation sheets, but those would be added bonuses if everything is set to go by the middle of October.  Takes a lot of practice runs to get everything marked out and placed just right.

By the way, with the way the weather's been, I am very, very close to panic.  If it's raining tomorrow, I have to start working on polymer clay adornments for various parts of the yard.  Ideally, I don't want to have to go run to Michael's at the last minute and clear out the fake flower bins.  That would just be tragic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueknitfreak
Dangerously Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007 09:53:21 PM »

Hey home haunter!!  Have you ever been to the Midwest Haunters Convention?  Or Hauntcon?  (Google 'em).  I learned ALOT at these two conventions last year, regarding prop construction, haunt design, makeup, etc. etc.  It was a blast to hang out with so many Halloween enthusiasts.

I wanted to make a yard haunt this year, but I had some surgery that is limiting my lifting abilities - and that'll have to wait until next year.  I have some REALLY cool soundtracks by a haunter named Virgil - so if you don't have time to make a sdtk, google him and get some of his stuff.  PM me if you want album recommendations Wink

I look forward to seeing all your awesome Halloween stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Julie
TrentSketch
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 11:45:18 AM »

Day 7
The weather is cooperating.  It's very sunny, but not unbearably so, and there's barely any humidity.  It's almost a day where a light jacket would be appropriate.

But the wire armature is finished.  Done.  No more.  Ok, maybe a little more finessing to get it just perfect before I start to cover it, but it came out better than I expected.

It's about 8'6", and was built with only one major incident.

If you look at some of the other pictures on my flickr, you'll see a pool in the background.  Of course, even working over four feet away from the pool today, I still somehow managed to drop my wire cutters into the water and had to jump in to rescue them.  That water was way too cold to be playing around with today.

blueknitfreak, I know of the haunter conventions, but haven't been able to get to any of them.  They are just a little too far away for me. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007 11:59:32 AM »

So jealous.  Wish I had a yard.

Currently my boyfriend wants to put a laser tunnel in the hallway leading up to the living room of our apartment, then we have a giant grim reaper (one of those inflatable things) to put on our tiny deck, then we hang creatures around inside the house and turn on the fog machine.

Where in Jersey are you?  I'm just outside Philly.  Maybe if its not too far, I'll come up for a quick view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrentSketch
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007 02:13:38 PM »

Cheebs, opposite sides of the state, I'm afraid.  I'm just outside of NYC.

Your plans sound great, though.  A laser tunnel?  That sounds like fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Copy Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Backlight Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Getting Started
Canon XSi/450D: Set White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...