A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Something unusual for discerning tastes  (Read 12795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004 09:41:51 AM »

Our local nursery sells kids overalls, in a sitting position, that could probably be reproduced in the same way - I have a pair of Carharrt overalls my brother got for my son when he was little - I'll have to keep my eyes open for the stiffenener.
The overalls for sale looked highly glossy, so I'm betting they had a finish. that and because they were sitting, you could put the plant in its container onto whatever surface your overalls were sitting on.
Hope that makes some sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004 12:01:22 PM »

Those are definately neat.  If I were your sister, I would write things I'm scared of on sticky notes and put them on the pants, as a reminder to not let those things scare me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
mixi
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2006 07:37:46 AM »

this is hiiiiiiiilarious!!!!  and such a cool present, one that really says "i know you too well" and also "i thot of you."  wish someone made me a present inspired by "where the wild things are" (my favorite childhood english book) or "the bear with music in his belly" (translation of my favorite portuguese book - i come from a bilingual family..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2006 08:33:02 AM »

OH  FABULOUS!!!!!!  I  need to know  is teh  liquid  porcilin  water resistant???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
benji3
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006 11:17:17 AM »

They are so cool! I love personal presents that are like inside jokes. Oh and they did this on a kids show in the Uk a while back, except they stuffed jeans with newspaper and painted them with loads of layers of pva.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftygem
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006 02:15:43 PM »

my daughter loves that story!  lol this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life's a roller coaster...... enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wists.com/craftygem
acidalbatross

Puuutinondariiitzz!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006 02:20:54 PM »

i heart these like theres no tomorrow!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the strangels will take me down deep in their brine
The mischievous braingels
Down into the endless blue wine
-(Tom Waits)
lollipop is candy/garbage
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006 03:57:10 PM »

Wow I never knew liquid porcelain existed.  This opens a whole new world of art to me thanks for the post.  What a wonderful piece!!! Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you are diabetic in that case insulin is.
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006 05:49:36 AM »

I made 2 pairs of the overall containers for Mother's Day a few years back, for the 2 grandma's.  I used my son's outgrown overalls and tennis shoes.  I just soaked them in liquid starch and then stuffed them with plastic bags and seated them the way I wanted them.  It did take a long time to dry.  But then we painted them black and put hints of bronze spraypaint in the creases and pockets and such.  Both grandma's have them sitting on little chairs with plants in them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006 10:29:27 PM »

Wow!  Sorry I totally ignored this thread coming back up again, but I think I'd lost track of it over the course of Craftster's many reorganizations.  Anyway, thanks for the compliments, folks! 

In case you're still wondering, jloveg, I don't think my application of the liquid porcelain is waterproof.  But that's probably mostly the nature of the pants themselves and the way we had to put them together.  The rather experimental way this project was completed actually made an item that still retains a great deal of natural look.  Some of the things my mother has made with the liquid porcelain are very porcelain-finished, but the pants sort of soaked the stuff up and they still look like cotton, which actually adds to the coolness of that particular project.  I suspect that once the porcelain is dry, if you've used it more like it should be used, it's probably waterproof in so far as porcelain usually is.  (It's porous, though...)  If you stiffen it with whatever and then finish it with a waterproof paint or varnish, I imagine it would be waterproof.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Hair Color
How to Section the Hair to Prepare for Coloring
How to Color Grey Hair and Make it Shine
Learn Different Ways to Style Short Hair
Learn how to Style Short Hair - Audrey Hepburn Crop
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...