A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,500
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlebluebirdie
« on: September 06, 2007 10:44:31 AM »

I recently acquired what I was told was a almost finished twin size quilt.  all that it needed was binding.  cool.  I've done that before.  so, i cut up a bunch of fabric for binding strips, unfolded the quilt to determine how much more i needed, and lo and behold, the quilt is a odd size.

Undecided

about 4 feet by like, 10 ( i didn't measure the length, but its almost the length of my living room.)

should I just bind it up the way it is, or can someone think of something to do with it?  its wholecloth, blue on one side, white on the other, and basic straight line quilting, so i guess i wouldn't feel bad about taking it apart either, and doing who knows with the fabric...

thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 11:19:09 AM »

Is is possible to cut it in half so you have two large cuddle quilts? Each could be 4x5, then bind them. Or cut off part of the long side to just shorten it a bit.

Definitely a weird size, but there must be something do-able with it.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
rainylakechick
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 12:26:34 PM »

Perhaps you could take part of the top to make matching pillow shams?

Maybe I'm crazy, but 4x10 doesn't sound that odd.  I'd love to have a big blanket to cuddle with on the sofa!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007 02:18:26 PM »

I have a quilt top that is extra long. I haven't measured it for length, but the pattern says it is an "extra long twin size with pillow tuck". So, instead of going under the pillow, it goes under a bit, out again and around. Does doing this get rid of the extra length?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007 08:39:24 AM »

I mean if it is 4'X10' - that's 48"x120" - definitely a weird size.  Most queen size quilts aren't even that long, in fact most king size quilts aren't even that long.  Whereas it would give you barely five inches of overhang across the width, at least on most twin mattresses. 

So yeah weird size Cheesy

If you want to keep it as a bed quilt you could cut off 40" of length, leaving you with two pieces, one that is 48"x80" and one that is 48"x40".  You can cut the second piece into two pieces that are 24"x40", sew them end to end into a piece that is 24"x80" and sew that onto the other big piece for a finished size of 72"x80".  But that of course ASSUMES that the quilt will not be negatively affected design wise by being rearranged in that manner!!  If it will look too weird to do that, I like the idea of making it into two smaller quilts as was already suggested...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007 07:11:23 AM »

It might be that I am a guy, but I don't really see the point of having your pillows tucked into your blanket or quilt.  You always end up with too much fabric hanging off the end of the bed, and I like to have my feet sticking out.

I would go with LibbyK on this one and chop and reform it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
littlebluebirdie
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007 07:37:00 PM »

thanks all! 

although, i figured out what it is actually - some of that pre-quilted stuff off the bolt meant for warmer clothing, i think...i sure felt like a dofus when i realized that when i saw some at joanns the other day...

but i think i'll chop it up and make it a blanket/quilt or two anyways.  you can never have enough blankets right?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jilly
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 09:48:59 PM »

Tuck in  your pillows? I'm supposed to tuck things in on my bed? Like, besides children?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007 07:44:26 AM »

Mweh I can't believe I didn't think of that!  Those dimensions did seem too bizarre.  See now what you've got (in my opinion) is a blank canvas.  You could embellish your new blankets with embroidery, applique, fabric crayons, fabric paints, etc. etc. etc. if you care too!  Could be lots of fun.  I've also heard of people using that kind of fabric as backing for a patchwork top - then you don't really have to do any quilting yourself, just some top stitching to make sure it stays together.

Of course it would also just make some good utility blankets if you don't want to fuss with it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Beachy Waves
How To Curl Your Hair With A Flat Iron
Tips for Parting Your Hair
DIY Runway-Worthy Ponytail
A Fresh Take on Vintage Waves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...