A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you use a turkish spindle ?  (Read 529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Weddy_in_Paris
« on: September 06, 2007 10:00:14 AM »

Hello !
I'm a newbie. I've been reading so many things (blogs and so on) about hand spinning since about 2 months, that I decided to give it a try ! I do felting too, so I already have some rovings. Last week I ordered a drop spindle (Ashford top whorl, quite cheap), I'm so eager to get it ! The site where I bought it had a turkish spindle too (about 20 euros), which seemed to be great. It was hard to decide which one to buy, I took the cheapest, in case I am not talented for spinning after all ! But the idea of the yarn ball sounds nice... What do you think of it ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007 02:59:05 AM »

I went straight for the turkish spindle and would never go back. I'm already looking at buying another turkish spindle made from nicer wood, but I don't think I could ever change to a 'normal' drop spindle now...
Good luck with spinning, should be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007 11:31:07 AM »

Hi ! I'm still waiting eagerly for the mail ! I'll surely let you know and show my first yarn ! Thanks for the advice ! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The_Enchant
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007 08:18:18 PM »

Looking at Turkish Drop Spindles makes me a little frightened... I use my regular every day drop spindle... I love it, but then again I am obsessive compulsive with too much time.

Hope to see your spinning!

~Lily
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodfibrations
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007 06:16:39 PM »

I started on a top whorl spindle,and bought my Turkish on a lark from winderwoodfarm at Ebay (very nice, accomodating seller).  I was tired of winding off the spindle into a ball.  I do love my Turkish.  I get a kick out of taking the whorl off and removing the  cross pieces every time I do it.  And it looks like a propeller when it spins.

I was a very confused about how to wind the yarn the spun yarn on when I started using it, but I found a way I like.  If you look at it from the top, I wind a couple of times across the middle of the x, then move it a quarter turn.  If you think of it as spokes, I wind over two of them every time always on the same side of the dowel. I get a kick out of the square ball, too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indu Sundaresan Talks About Shadow Princess
David McCullough Reveals His Favorite Movies
Dr. Craig Martin Talks About Elemental Love Styles
Nora Titone Talks About My Thoughts Be Bloody
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 5
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...