A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Incorporating a knife into a costume?  (Read 1954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krissykat
« on: September 05, 2007 02:25:07 AM »

I'm trying to brainstorm ways to include an oversized, bloodied butcher knife (plastic) into my costume without having to carry it. My first thought was to make a garter "holster" for it, but the knife is going to be too big, and my skirt too long for that to work.

I think I wanted an excuse to wear my devil horns with a beehive so the costume I planned around that 'do is sort of an "evil housewife" or "housewife from hell". I'm going to be wearing a full dress or skirt with a crinoline and a bloodstained half apron. I'd like the blade to remain exposed so a regular pocket isn't ideal. I'm also trying to add a small bottle of "poison" in a pocket on the apron. 

I'm probably just thinking about it too hard, but I'm stumped for now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007 02:25:36 AM by krissykat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007 02:27:42 AM »

When I was Peter Pan I made a holster for a rubber knife.  I basically tied a leather strap to the knife, and stuck the other end of the strap to a belt that I could wear.

You could do the same thing with the poison bottle, just tie it to your belt.  Or even make it a necklace if it's smalll enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
krissykat
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 02:03:42 AM »

Sounds cool. Thanks for the suggestions!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixing
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007 08:34:09 AM »

here's my bloody butcher - he carried that same bloody cleaver tucked into the apron ties - you can see the end on the far left, he wasn't done slaughtering when the picture was taken
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007 08:42:52 AM »

If you're not averse to cutting into the apron, you could also cut two parallel holes the right size to slip the knife through (two holes so the majority of the knife is still visible).  Some adjustment of the holes may be necessary to keep the knife from sliding through though, maybe hooks and eyes to make the hole too small for the handle to slip through?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
krissykat
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007 02:01:07 AM »

Thanks guys.  Smiley

here's my bloody butcher - he carried that same bloody cleaver tucked into the apron ties - you can see the end on the far left, he wasn't done slaughtering when the picture was taken
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l38/pixing/kill.jpg

Too cute. He looks so into it! That would probably be the easiest thing to do, huh?

If you're not averse to cutting into the apron, you could also cut two parallel holes the right size to slip the knife through (two holes so the majority of the knife is still visible).  Some adjustment of the holes may be necessary to keep the knife from sliding through though, maybe hooks and eyes to make the hole too small for the handle to slip through?
Yeah, the apron's just going to be cheap broadcloth so that sounds like it's worth a try. Maybe reinforce them like huge buttonholes. The blade is tapered so if I made them just the right size it might stay there pretty well. Some sticky velcro would probably help too.  Or I could even sew on some strips of ribbon or fabric to do the same thing (some nice bows would be pretty funny).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007 11:07:50 PM »

how about i knife throwers assistant? with an apple on your head...or a target on you......but the knife thrower obviously missed...
and you got stabbed...

kinda like this:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anti-emily
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007 04:45:44 PM »

last year i was Alice from that twisted alice in wonderland game. so i had to have an oversized knife, but didn't want to have to carry around a stupid piece of plastic all night, so i made a giant knife shaped clutch/purse, with wrist strap...i don't have pictures of it, but i made it out of black and silvery vinyl. it worked pretty well and killed two birds with one stone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy.com
krissykat
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007 05:45:15 PM »

how about i knife throwers assistant? with an apple on your head...or a target on you......but the knife thrower obviously missed...
and you got stabbed...

kinda like this http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/rickshawpresents/00937_TINA_THE_TARGET.jpg
That's so cute! I love it.

last year i was Alice from that twisted alice in wonderland game. so i had to have an oversized knife, but didn't want to have to carry around a stupid piece of plastic all night, so i made a giant knife shaped clutch/purse, with wrist strap...i don't have pictures of it, but i made it out of black and silvery vinyl. it worked pretty well and killed two birds with one stone.
I love that idea. I've been trying to figure out a purse too. I've got some red glitter vinyl that I could sew on for blood stains. I'll have to check the fabric store for some silver.

In the meantime, I bought a knife with a different shaped handle that'll make putting it on the apron much easier.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/krissy-kat/knife.jpg
Mine has a bad ass skull on the top of the handle. A tab like the one I drew on in paint should keep it on since it has that "ridge" on the bottom of the handle. The fake blood inside the blade is lame, so I think I'll try painting the blade silver and painting on some blood stains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Lesson 1
How to Triple Crochet
How to Double Crochet
How to Half Double Crochet
How to Single Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...