A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Go, Diego, Go! Vests and Rescue Packs for my Girl and her Pal  (Read 2185 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fort_loop
« on: September 06, 2007 05:36:56 AM »

I spent too much money and time making these Diego/Alicia costumes for my 3 y.o. daughter and her best friend.  Awfully cute, though.

Here's the basic ensemble.  I used McCall's 3416 for the vest.  Downloaded the Animal Rescue Center patch from the net and printed it on iron-on transfer paper.

Aaaaaaahhhh Rescue Pack!  I used McCall's 2933, but I had to resize it for a 3 y.o.'s frame.  In doing so, I miscalculated and made the gusset 1.5" too long.  I caught the error and corrected it, but not before I had eased in the extra 1.5" on the first one.  That was a pain.  I hate easing to begin with.  The rescue pack is lined with cute Diego licensed print cotton.  I had planned to applique the face on the flap, but ran out of steam.

Here's an action shot, complete with Baby Jaguar:

And the rescue pack, as modeled by my baby son:

I wish I could say my kid loves it and adores me for making it, but she doesn't seem to care that much.  In fact, when I finished the first rescue pack, she took one look at it and said, "where's the zipper? Diego's has a zipper. I don't want it without a zipper.  Can't we just buy one?"  Jeez Louise.  I improvised an exterior zippered pocket on the second one because I couldn't bear to think that she would reject it after all my work.  It's a thankless job sometimes, isn't it? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 05:42:44 AM »

awesome job! if it makes you feel any better MY son would love it!  Grin
Yeah sometimes kids just need a good whack on the head! LOL I'm just kidding! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lwright311
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 05:55:30 AM »

I HAVE to make a rescue pack for my sons.  They would love it.  I am always making purses for others and I think they get a little jealous.  My one son likes Dora better but I cant let him wear a purple backpack (Can I?)  Great job Cheesy  and cute kids.  I have two boys (5 and 2).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marvelous
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007 08:09:34 PM »

I think it is awesome!  My DD would love it.  Kids.... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joyd12
Home Improvement Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007 09:39:47 AM »

Thanks for this post!  Not only is what you did really cute...it also helped me find the perfect pattern to create Ash Ketchum's (Pokemon) outfit for my son for Halloween.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Home Depot people know me when they see me other places...and I don't even work there.
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007 11:55:47 AM »

omg, the vest is adorable!  And the rescue packs - brillant!  It's perfect, I'm awed by your dedication! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

emling
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007 06:11:37 AM »

Fantastic--your kids will look back years from now and be in awe of your skills.  This is what I tell myself anyway.

I love the rescue packs--great idea, even better execution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High School-Appropriate Makeup Tutorial
The Look: A Fresh Faced Modern Bride
How a Foam Roller Can Give You a Facelift in 50 Seconds
Get Taylor Swift’s Bold Red Lip From Her 2012 Glamour Cover
How to Contour for Your Face Shape
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...