A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red Velvet Cupcakes end up as liquid pink evil  (Read 3160 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teraspawn
« on: September 06, 2007 12:31:50 AM »

Okay, Wikipedia says that to replace buttermilk in a recipe you can put a tablespoon of vineager in a cup of milk and leave it to stand for ten minutes. Is this a horrible, horrible lie? I tried to make this recipe for red velvet cake and the batter ended up tasting like liquid evil (I mean sour). What went wrong?

And I used self-raising flour instead of cake flour - what difference does that make?

Also, the only red food colouring I could find was pink. I don't mean too-dilute-doesn't-look-like-true-red pink, I mean fuchsia. That's mental.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007 12:32:28 AM by teraspawn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 11:06:19 AM »

Oh dear! You're in England, aren't you? 

OK, in the recipe you're looking at, the buttermilk, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and vinegar all work together to raise the cake. 

You used self-raising flour, which already has a leavening agent (baking powder)-- so your batter probably ended up very, very bitter, especially after you added the milk-and-vinegar, the baking soda, and c. of tartar.

"Cake flour" is just a particularly light and fluffy plain, NON-self-raising white flour.  You should be able to use ordinary flour instead (you might want to use about 1 tbsp less than is called for, but I wouldn't worry too much about it)

Buttermilk is iffy.  Sainsbury's USED to have it, sometimes, but it wasn't at all like American buttermilk (it was more like American yoghurt).  And, to be honest, since it's part of the leavening in this recipe, I'm not sure how the milk-and-vinegar substitution will affect things.

I've got a couple of recipes for red velvet cake.  I'll check when I get home tonight and see if I have one that will be easier to find ingredients for in the UK.

As for the food coloring, it will look a bit darker after cooking.  If it's still fuschia, call it Pink Velvet cake.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Parilla
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007 09:18:28 AM »

While I can't comment on this, I can tell you one thing...

...if you should have the premade cake-powder-in-boxes in England as we do in America, don't even bother with the Red Velvet cake ones.  They look beautiful, but always have this really funky, nasty aftertaste.  Something about Red Velvet doesn't translate into powder.  At all.  No matter the brand.

As for the color...you could always add more cocoa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sleepybunny
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007 11:05:46 AM »

I sometimes use a soda bread recipe that lists buttermilk amongst the ingredients: never having come across it in the supermarket I substituted half and half natural yogurt and milk, and it seems to work out fine.  Not sure if it will work for your cake recipe though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007 01:52:28 PM »

Okay, Wikipedia says that to replace buttermilk in a recipe you can put a tablespoon of vineager in a cup of milk and leave it to stand for ten minutes. Is this a horrible, horrible lie?

I tried to make this recipe for red velvet cake and the batter ended up tasting like liquid evil (I mean sour). What went wrong?

And I used self-raising flour instead of cake flour - what difference does that make?

Yes, indeed, that combination of vinegar and regular milk makes a passable substitute for buttermilk, especially for baked goods such as red velvet cake and quick breads..... the acid in the buttermilk is what activates the baking SODA to make the tiny bubbles which makes your cake rise.

Your substitution of self rising flour for cake flour is what got you into trouble....self rising has baking POWDER AND salt added to it already so using it in your mix and then adding soda really compounded the leavening (Baking soda + baking powder), No wonder it was yucky!

Here's a tip if you NEED self rising flour and want to make it yourself:
   1. Using a dry measure, measure the desired amount of flour into a separate container.
   2. For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
   3. Mix to combine.

If you HAVE self rising flour, but not all purpose flour:
   1. You can use self-rising flour in yeast bread recipes, but you'll need to omit the salt.
   2. If you use self-rising flour as a substitute for all-purpose flour in a quick bread, omit salt and baking powder (and I guess, baking soda, too, as you discovered).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teraspawn
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007 12:51:58 AM »

Thank you for your help everybody! If I ever come across cake flour in a recipe again, I'll know what to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007 08:05:08 AM »

Well, I looked through every cookbook and index card in the kitchen and couldn't find a recipe that didn't call for buttermilk, so I'd just go with with the milk-and-vinegar substitution. 

As to the other vinegar called for in the recipe, my grandmother's recipe note tells me to "Reserve baking soda and vinegar until all other ingredients have been mixed.  Make a small hole in the batter on one side of the bowl, add baking soda, make a small hole on the other side, add vinegar, mix well." (I honestly don't know WHY you're supposed to do this)

Interestingly, my grandmother's recipe does not use any food coloring at all.  Just 1/4 cup of cocoa.  I understand the vinegar and the cocoa is supposed to react to produce a red color, but I remember her red velvet cake as being more of a rusty brown.  My mother's recipe calls for only 2 tbsp of cocoa and an entire bottle (!) of food coloring.  The last time I made it, I used 1/3 cup cocoa and only as much food coloring as was absolutely necessary to get a sort-of red color, because I really do think food coloring gives it a weird aftertaste. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007 07:11:57 PM »

I remember the first time I ever heard of a red velvet cake....and the person who baked it said it called for a WHOLE BOTTLE of red food coloring!  Shocked

Mostly I just liked the cream cheese icing. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007 06:46:41 AM »

Sorry your attempt didn't go well.  Whenever I have red velvet cake, I just buy the Betty Crocker box mix.  It tastes fine to me!

It would be interesting to make one from scratch, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007 04:37:48 PM »

I have a couple of frequently used recipes that call for buttermilk, but instead of vinegar I've always used lemon juice.  This has worked for me every time.  As for cake flour, I'm sure I read that you can make a substitute by using plain flour, minus a couple of table spoons per cup, replaced with a couple tablespoons of corn flour (corn starch).  You may want to give that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Panoramic Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Museum Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...