A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why I should hide my sewing machine...  (Read 990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ephemeraleden
« on: October 26, 2007 01:50:50 AM »

I thought maybe some of y'all could relate to this.  Grin

One night, probably around 2AM, my mom and I decided to work on a stuffed witch for my front porch. While we were outside, carefully stuffing and trying to create a witch that wouldn't fall off the chair we had her sitting on, my husband got the brilliant idea that he would make a ghost to hang up. He whips out my sewing machine, which he's already attempted to use to sew garbage bags together, and the swearing begins. We can hear him from the porch all the way in the living room, cursing the poor white sheet he decided to butcher. Twenty or so minutes later he presents to me a 'ghost'(if you could call it that), obviously sewed with his feet and red thread. I ran to my sewing machine, only to find bits and pieces of the white sheet, red thread lint, and a severely bent needle. Not a big deal... or so I thought.

My poor, poor machine... he almost killed it! Somehow he managed to get a few parts wet, so they were beginning to rust. Pieces were stuck together and some wouldn't come unscrewed for anything. It took me hours to get it apart, clean it up, and put it back together, only for it to still get caught up whenever the needle was put down. I thought it was just not enough oil, so I oiled it more and tried again - nope. Still wouldn't work. I freaked out, then ran to the computer and ordered another sewing machine. After the panic wore off and I went to go clean up the broken bits of my machine, I noticed something a little off about it... yeah, I hadn't gotten it back together right and it was literally off by maybe 1/8th of an inch. After fixing that, it began to work just fine.  Embarrassed

I decided not to cancel my order, just in case he decided to attack it with a bottle of Coke and aluminum cans next time, heh.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007 10:55:27 PM by ephemeraleden » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007 09:21:40 AM »

That is funny.  Cheesy

I don't let anyone near Betsy (that's my machine). There is a protective forcefield that surrounds her and I instinctively know when someone has tried to penetrate the barrier. The consequences for those who are caught are dire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nymphetaminechika
Kaptain_is_love

love me, love my dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007 11:49:28 AM »

Wow, my boy might be missing a few fingers lol.  Anytime someone comes in the room where my sewing machine is (shared with computer room) they get yelled at to not even cross into my world lol.  No one has dared to question my authority yet, I feel sorry for them if they do....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nirauan
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007 08:43:28 AM »

my god! i feel so lucky!

my boy once used my sewing machine to fix a hole in his shorts pockets, he did this without asking- when i found out i had nigh on a panic attack, rushed to my machine - which was perfectly fine! he had even changed the top thread so it was a 'matching' colour.  shame the repair he did only lasted about 4 hours though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007 08:03:00 PM »

My toddler knocked my old machine off the table, and t's now unusable (crank won't turn at all).  Fortunately, I bought a new one last December, or I'd be looking for a new machine (and I was in the middle of making a swap package AND a Halloween costume when he did it).  Fortunately, DH's mom had a sewing machine, and he knows how to work one, but he's never bothered. His creativity lies elsewhere (for which I'm thankful).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tailor & Shoemaker - The Sartorialist for AOL On
Celebrity Photographer Bruce Weber LIVE
Bruce Weber Demystifies Racy Abercrombie Shoots
Bruce Weber On Why He Axed Cindy Crawford From A Shoot
Bruce Weber On Working With Kate Moss
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...