A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mock Cathedral Windows quilt  (Read 6640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmoore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007 05:24:03 AM »

That's beautiful!  A really fun take on the Cathedral Windows style.  But I don't understand what you mean about it being "mock".  It looks like a "proper" Cathedral Windows quilt.  What did you do that was different?

The maker can correct me, but it looks like this quilt used circular pieces of fabric. Traditional cathedral windows are made with folded squares.
Also compare this quilt and the traditional cathedral windows quilt in the link-they look similar, but not the same. The most obvious difference being that a traditional cathedral windows has folded back edges whereas most "mock" versions do not.
Either way it has turned out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007 06:30:14 AM »

I don't know what the maker used for a tutorial, but a great tutorial for MOCK cathedrals is here http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/2007/05/tutorial-mock-cathedral-windows.html

They are made with circles then put together. My boys are making one for their grandma's birthday right now. It's easy enough for my 6, 8, and 10 year old to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007 06:45:14 AM »

But I don't understand what you mean about it being "mock".  It looks like a "proper" Cathedral Windows quilt.  What did you do that was different?
I'm sorry that I didn't reply to this!  I've been travelling for work and must have missed your question.
cmoore and Ezri_B are correct.  I used Sunshine Creations tutorial, hence the name.  I have seen tutorials and directions for "proper" Cathedral Windows quilts and they make the amount of work that went into my "mock" one look paltry! 

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments.  My sister has now received the quilt and, by all reports, loved it.  My niece has so far reserved comment (but she's 10 months old, so I'll let that go).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
SugarySweet
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007 06:23:06 AM »

It's beautiful. I hope she loves it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

march
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007 07:04:03 PM »

First, let me just say that your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! It looks snuggly, warm, and like it will be a cherished family item.

Second, I'm curious about the fleece backing. Did you use filler (it's clear that i'm not a quilter) or did the fleece just work for both a filler and the backing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007 07:07:55 PM »

First, let me just say that your quilt is BEAUTIFUL! It looks snuggly, warm, and like it will be a cherished family item.

Second, I'm curious about the fleece backing. Did you use filler (it's clear that i'm not a quilter) or did the fleece just work for both a filler and the backing?

Thanks!  I didn't use an extra in-between layer, just the fleece.  It ended up quite heavy as it was, I didn't want to overload it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
dancingzira
Mistress of Craft

Do Llamas enjoy bondage?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007 04:06:51 PM »

that is SO beautiful! This blanket will become a family heirloom I'm sure. Smiley Nice job~!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have wists too, you know. http://www.wists.com/dancingzira
I am interested in personal swaps!
alexxxx
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007 05:11:14 AM »

Second, I'm curious about the fleece backing. Did you use filler (it's clear that I'm not a quilter) or did the fleece just work for both a filler and the backing?

Thanks!  I didn't use an extra in-between layer, just the fleece.  It ended up quite heavy as it was, I didn't want to overload it. 

Great Quilt, i love it
was just going to ask this question too.
I am Brand brand brand new to quilting Grin
using a filler scares the heck outer me, i have a very old machine & dont think it will be ale to cope with all that material.
maybe fleece is the way to go,
subloke, was it easier to use the fleece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kyria Abrahams Reveals Her Motto
Kamran Pasha Talks About Mother of the Believers
The Fruit of Her Hands Book Trailer
Meet Dr. Michael Murray and Dr. Michael Lyon
Erik Rees Talks About Only You Can Be You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...