A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For an art project: I need something that rotates or moves...  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MDodson
« on: September 05, 2007 01:18:19 PM »

We're doing a project in art and since we're the advanced class she wants us to put in something that either lights up or moves. I'm planning on using something that is moving. Now I'm not completely sure if you're going to understand that.. but I just need to figure out how [and most importantly WHAT] to put in a piece of small equipment deal.. almost like clock works, that will help move something inside of a art sculpture-like thing. (it'll mostly be painted and [designy stuff added]cardboard.) I'm not sure if you'll understand, but I really don't know who else to be asking. haha. You artsy people have done some unusual things, I bet.. If you know something at all, do tell. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meanderingartist

Gotta love Gary Larson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007 07:42:24 PM »

Not sure what you mean, but I will just spout out what went through my brain Undecided
You could use the motor from a clock movement- without the face and hands- just attach what you want moving to it...if you want circular movement.
If it does not have to be continuous movement  springs or some kind of pendulum would create motion.. These would move, but not always   If it is large, perhaps a small fan to blow things a bit?
Don't know if that helped at all, but there you have it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ATC 100 Themes Challenge  13/100
AshtonagoL
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007 02:13:55 PM »

It's been a long time since I've had the desire to do anything like that so I can't really think of anything.  The last time I just did something that lit up so that doesn't help you.  But I decided how to do it by wandering around Radio Shack, looking for things that would serve my purpose.  Maybe try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007 07:29:24 AM »

I have had and given assignments like that. Radio Shack is definately a good place to wander and they usually have someone who will know enough to get you startted with all the right pieces and as lots of good questions (batteries or plug in?).

Also, Lego has some pretty cool robot pieces with battery packs that you can use if you have/ beg/ borrow/ steal from someone (my brother has a world class lego collection- I've used these myself).

One of the neatest mechanics I've seen used for this kind of project was a guy in my class tore the music box out of an old jewelry box. He would it up and not only did it still play music but he rigged the wheel portion to make the whole piece turn in circles on the table...it was fantastic.

If you could find little wind up toys they might be a fun base too, but light plastic ones would be difficult to get to the mechanics inside & metal ones are expensive or collectibe...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008 07:38:33 PM »

I'd hit the thrift store, and see what they have for under ten bucks---an old kid's record player? Maybe some sort of motorized toy? A toaster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For crafty madness and general musings, visit my blog:
http://eatingtacoswhiledriving.blogspot.com/

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
isqueak
Knitter, Writer, Book-Artist and much, much more.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008 09:37:53 PM »

What a fun project! If it were me, I would totally go snatch myself a record player at a thrift store, and a bunch of old records, and go about painting different colors and designs on said records. But maybe that's just me being nutsy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Backlight Scene
Canon SD770 IS Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon SD770 IS Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon G10: Set White Balance Function
Canon G10: Set Underwater Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...