A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "What do YOU Journal About?!" Ideas thread!  (Read 64987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2012 07:19:08 PM »

Wow!!!

I just realized, after reading this whole thread to here again tonight, that two years ago I stumbled upon this thread and read it start to finish and then started my first 'non-art' journal.  Today I have about ten or so, and I journal in some form every day.  This thread really changed my life!  The book I write in most often is a 5x8 hardback sketchbook that I made a cover for, that I put all my art/craft ideas and sketches into, and that I write in/sketch in every day.  I've also just started an actual sketchbook in a second 5x8 hardback sketchbook.  (These were $5 each from Michael's, "Artist Loft" brand, and I love them.  Just plain hard black covers and nice, heavy sketching paper inside, and they open up nice and flat!)  I also have a Moleskine watercolor journal, just for experimenting with watercolor painting.

I have also created four art journals, as well as a junk mail journal (lost...sad), a gluebook, and a few days ago, I got a Creative Chaos binder (an alternative to the Smash Book) from Michael's and am putting only art inspiration into it, such as techniques to try, supplies I want, supplies I buy, notes from art books I read, pieces of art that inspire me, art stores and sites I shop at, and anything else art-life related.  Half price with a coupon, this was only $6.50 and it's full of beautiful, really heavy double-sided decorative cardstock pages.  I highly recommend it, because writing on that heavy, pretty paper is inspiring, and it's a great way to save all the little stuff on a pretty background.  Plus I LOVE mini-binders and can add to and rearrange it any time I want.  I'm going to get another one and use it to journal on all the "About Me" prompts I've collected here and elsewhere.  I think it would be very therapeutic and help with self-love issues.  I may get a third one and make a Favorite Things book, which will help with life-love issues (since I deal with severe depression).

It is so sobering to me to realize that I had to call myself not a 'real artist' in order to allow myself to do any art at all, and that it happened to be exactly two years ago this month that I took this step, due to this very thread.  I now have an art blog, have done several paintings, and have created a studio space as a testament to how crucial art is to my very survival, emotionally.

I know this thread isn't about art, but it was this thread and the 'non-art' journal that it inspired in my life, that gave art back to me.  And not only do I journal now, pretty much every day, I've even learned to make my own books, which is probably my favorite thing to do right now.

And I STILL love love love the alphabet idea and have re-written it into my art/craft idea book tonight to use again and again.  I also found the thread on altered books at that same time as this one, and I fell in love with that and have been doing them ever since.  Two of the four art journals I have made are altered books.  This is the before of my newest one, a children's book:

With a title like that, it was MADE to be a journal, don't you think?  This is what I did to the cover:

I hope this thread lives forever and that lots of other people find it and begin expressing themselves in a new way because of it.  Thank you to everyone who has contributed to it over these FIVE years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
MariAdkins
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2013 08:56:45 AM »

Hello! I'm completely new here.

I signed up so I can say the journal shared on this page is absolutely gorgeous. I totally have some seriously love going on here. Smiley

Also, I'd like to invite anyone with any journaling interest to my Facebook group! We'd love to have you, your inspiration, your support.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/journalingjourney/ Smiley Everyone welcome. Smiley

okay the 4th of july smilies are cracking me up!! Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MariAdkins
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2013 01:13:11 PM »

Also, I'm curious as to what you all journal IN.

5"x8" moleskine pocket notebook. lined. they're perfect - not too big, not too small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MariAdkins
« Reply #343 on: July 05, 2013 03:07:59 PM »

I literally just spent my day on this thread reading and taking notes and looking at all the pictures! Y'all rock! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2013 08:56:24 AM »

Hello! I'm completely new here.

I signed up so I can say the journal shared on this page is absolutely gorgeous. I totally have some seriously love going on here. Smiley

You mean the Down the Knuckerhole page?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
A2JC4life
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2013 03:52:19 PM »

Jillie, this is one of the most memorable posts I've ever read.  I still use your little numbering trick, and just came back here to re-read your post after all these years.  I would've been smart to keep all of my book notes in my journal with everything else!  (Since learning your page numbering system that might actually be possible.  I was always afraid if I mixed anything in, I'd never find it again.)  I have all of my book notes in separate files.  Kinda crazy.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tatygirl90
« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2013 10:05:42 PM »

I started a writing journal at the beginning December and it's come further than the other journals I've started. It's kind of a hybrid of my observations and thoughts along with ideas for writing and the beginnings of stories and poems.

I'm journaling on loose paper collected in a binder. It started out in a notebook but it was coming apart so I transferred it into that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejournalceo
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2014 04:14:01 PM »

Wow, this is my new favorite thread. I might just be reading all 37 pages of it tonight. Cool ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejournalceo
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2014 04:17:24 PM »

I like the idea of listing out words you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thejournalceo
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2014 04:22:01 PM »

I often write autobiography type stuff, like:
- previous houses and cities I've lived in
- list of schools I've gone to
- hobbies
- pets I've had
- friends and people in my life and a few of their quirks
- favorite memories from different life eras
- favorite: foods, drinks, candles, perfumes, stores, restaurants, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Paints Celebrity Faces on Peanuts
Art and The Occult
Artist Uses Smoke to Create Stunning Paintings
Art Worth $30 Million Found in Garage
Free Agents Set It Off in Miami
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...