A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "What do YOU Journal About?!" Ideas thread!  (Read 69926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2007 02:02:08 PM »

That's cool that you go through that entire process though. I bet not many ppl have yearbooks of their life like that.

I know what you mean about not having any visual images. I have to TRY to do that and its crap at best. As long as I enjoy going back and looking over what I was thinking...I'm cool with it. I also have multiple journals too. I think we need them for the multitude of personas that are within each of us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big project Stitchalong 2009 - Ongoing
Tea Towel Tour 5 - In Progress
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2007 04:38:54 PM »

Thought I'd scan a few more pages to share  Smiley

I love to build things.  When I come up with a concept for something new, it gets sketched out on a page.  This is a steampunk-inspired lamp.

Here's a completed "Directory of Beautiful Things" page.  I try to write these down whenever I see them, but sometimes there's just too many to record.  I'm available for handwriting translation  Wink

If I'm short on creativity but think something might be useful later, I'll draw/trace it.

Taking a few notes on a building concept

That's all for now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
AnonymousContent
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2007 06:45:24 AM »

This truly is a fantastic thread! 

It seems I have always kept a journal as my shelves in my art room are lined with books that look like a mess due to all the "stuff" in them spilling out.

It is overwhelming for some to look at the blank page not to mention feeling as though the journal should somehow look perfect.
I often use something I hear a person saying as my journal prompt.
Ex: the Florida student "Don't taze me, bro" was one prompt I could not pass up. Or a friend simply saying, "Ohhhh yeah" or "Ohhhh, hell NO".  I will write this on the top page and go from there.

One thing I do often is tear out pictures in magazines or advertisements that grab my attention for some reason and I glue that down and the actual writing begins from there.

Since becoming sick with Multiple Sclerosis I also started a health journal I take with me to my doctor's appointments.  I glue down research I may have found, highlight the areas of interest so I can discuss with my doctor, I use one page to list new meds I have started and the type of side fx I may have or if the med actually helps me.

I also list questions in one color ink I have for the doc and take a different color pen with me to record his answers.

LOL there are times my neuro will see a page as I am flipping through and ask me WHAT is that because I also journal about what it feels like to live with MS and some of the visuals wellll, let's say are eye opening for the doc to know a patient feels this way.
I have to inject medicine 3x a week so when I start a new box of injections I tear off the label and glue it in the journal where I write the dates in which I used that one particular box, recording the lot # etc SO if there is ever a recall or issue with the forumlation of that injectible I have a record I have used that particular lot #.

The labels are glued behind the page of the picture I took after piling up a years worth of syringes!! LMAO...the doc thought that a bit disturbing and I asked why, because I took a pic of all the syringes OR the fact that this is what a years worth of my injectible meds look like? Shocked

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sprinklemesugar
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2007 09:31:27 PM »

Jillie your handwriting looks so pretty!!

These are all excellent (sp?) ideas.

When I write in my journal, I usually write about my day, or my plans for the day, or some memory. Two weeks ago I started adding pictures and scraps from magazines, and it's getting more exciting. I find it difficult to create a visual, though. I'm afraid I'll spoil the page, or that I only have a ballpoint pen and it won't look colorful, or something like that.

Your journals are all very inspiring.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ~Charles Schultz
I've not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Alva Edison

~~To be old and wise, first you have to be young and stupid. ~~
A2JC4life
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2007 03:10:25 PM »

I have this pair of pages (they go together; left-right), inspired by something, I'm sure, but I can't remember what. Sad  Some time management book, probably. lol  (Those have actually been some of my greatest journaling inspirations.)

And this one, which shows how I used colored pencil to highlight a few things just to add a tad bit of color.  (The color is kind of flaky in the pictures; they didn't scan great, and I tried to tweak them so you could at least SEE the color!)

I also have some notes from The Decorated Page, which I will upload in another post. 

Also, I used Jillie's suggestion about the post-it's, and I did two pages - a purple one and a green one - using the same sticky notes, and I ended up with these super-cool-looking sticky notes.  Smiley  I am keeping them.  hehe I have never been able to get this kind of edge effect for scrapbooking when I've tried, so I think that next time I might use scraps of cardstock and a post-it glue stick and see if perhaps I can end up with some scrapbooking/cardmaking pieces as byproducts. Wink

(One of the post-it's was already written on; that's why it isn't in the picture, in case anyone was curious.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2007 03:13:11 PM »

My notes from The Decorated Page.  (By the way, don't anyone be deceived.  I have just uploaded every interesting page in my journal! lol  The rest of it is pretty boring - just straightforward writing about what has recently happened and/or how I'm feeling.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2007 03:23:05 PM »

Not to hog the thread, but I just realized that I forgot to post the part I meant to that actually addresses the original question.   Roll Eyes

I have in my current journal, in addition to the "Fun for Me" list I posted pictures of, and all of the boring pages Wink ; a list of ten "Things that Irk Me" (the intent being to then go back and come up with a plan to fix as many of them as possible); a description of my "ideal day" (that was an "assignment from somewhere, to, but I don't recall where); lists of things that are good for me and bad for me, and "energy robbers"; notes about a couple rooms in my house - what they're used for, what they need, etc.; a list of "things I want to study"; book notes; a list of things with "right brain appeal" (because I really need to work on this!); and a list of "things I'd like to do, but never get around to.  I have a couple of comics pasted in that I really liked.

I also found several journaling ideas in another time management book I recently read (they weren't given specifically as journaling prompts, but that's where they came from): to make a poem out of your to-do list, and "If your life were made into a movie, what would it be called?"

If this doesn't get lost in the midst of my crazy post, here's an idea...  What if everyone thinks up five journaling prompts - could be a theme, a question, the beginning of a sentence, etc. - and posts them here.  If there are enough of us reading the thread, that could be a lot of journaling prompts for not much thinking per person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2007 04:08:16 PM »

there's always the random paragraph generator. just google it, and you'll understand. Cheesy but that sounds like a really good idea.

I'll start ... get out old lots of photographs. find the ones that didn't come out properly - blurred, obscured, or taken by accident (I'm a photographer, and even I have ones of my feet sometimes)... then write over them or about them. draw the rest of the image where it's obscured. draw new things on top of old things. paint. burn. (be careful, as an addition to the "burn" suggestion.). I did a series of portraits like this.

In other news... went out looking for a new sketchbook today. sketchbooks basically become journals for me. I draw in them, write in them, stick in my photographs, collage, make lists... etc... etc... and I much prefer to claim an old book of kids' stories (or something with thick enough pages to draw on) than spending too much money on something new. Sort of like altered books, but I save parts of them that I like. Well, anyway, browsing the second-hand tomes I discovered a signed copy of a book called "The Anatomy of Society", from 1919... it smelt wonderful... though it turns out, as I flick through the book, that the author (a one Gilbert Cannan)... a) hated the Jewish with a mad passion; and b) liked women, but thought they had no brains, only vanity. what a pleasant man. don't know if I'll journalise this one. ... maybe just stash it away for posterity.

and erm, yeah. guess I'll drop back into this thread when I have something more valuable (and less rambling) to say (or show?). Roll Eyes

cassette.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2007 12:45:53 PM »

This thread is amazing!

I've been such an avid journaler for years now.  I've always kept it traditional...one book, tons of random things.

However, I always say I'm going to make my journal for the next year and this year I'm actually going to follow up with it for 2008.  I'm TOTALLY stealing some ideas from you guys, too!  Grin

What I want to do is use a few paper bags and make a giant accordion-like folder...?  And inside, I want to insert tons of file folders.  The file folders will be decorated according to the titles.  Each titled:

-I am...
-What I learned today
-Media, Happenstance
-Things that make me smile
-Today, I feel...
-I'm thankful for...
-Random facts/observations
-To Do/Goals (short and long term)
-Questions
-Inspiration
-Random thoughts
-College (I'm in school and feel it's important to record stuff that happens in class, etc.)
-Art pages (magazine clippings, pictures, etc.)
-Quotes/lyrics (I'm a musician, so music is important)
-Moments to remember (add ticket stubs, wrappers, etc)
-Calendar for the month with plans...fill in as I go through the month
-I wonder...
-Directory of beautiful things (pictures, thoughts, whatever)
-Letter section (the stuff I want to say to someone but don't)
-Topic writing (I'm a writer and like to do my own workshops sometimes)

I might include sections for like family and friends and combine a few sections.

I tried using a separate notebook for all different things once but it didn't work out too well. With this journal, I want to decorate the entire accordion thing in all different ways and keep to all of these random things.

Thanks for the amazing ideas, guys!  I'll be sure to post some pictures with my progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
chamaecyparis
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2007 06:21:24 PM »

I love seeing everyone's journal pages! 

I don't have any pictures of my journal pages, but I keep 3 different journals.  The first is just a regular personal journal- nothing fancy, just writing whenever I feel the need to write.  I also have a nature journal, with weather observations, bird-watching notes, stories of outdoor adventures, and occasional sketches.  Lastly I have an art journal, which is one of the little tiny Moleskine sketchbooks, because I decided I needed small pages so that filling them up wouldn't be too overwhelming or time consuming. 

All of my journals are kind of neglected right now...
I like the idea of having different sections in one journal, rather than different books, but I'm not sure it would work out for me (plus, my art journal and nature journal are for others to see as well as for myself, but my personal journal is...well, personal).  I used to put more effort into making my personal journal more artistic/more visually expressive, but I didn't always have the time.  It's usually more important for me to get my thoughts down on paper when I'm in writing mode than to make them look pretty.  So I started the art journal for when I'd rather express myself in pictures than words.

I'd love to hear more of your journal ideas!  Especially ones about staying motivated to keep journalling. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Origami Dogs
How to Do Origami
How to Create an Origami Butterfly
How to Make Your Own Origami Heart
How to Do a Box Origami
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...