A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "What do YOU Journal About?!" Ideas thread!  (Read 60896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

techni_moments
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Chronic Craftubater =)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2007 10:57:23 AM »

I was putting off posting because I lost my camera cord, and I just realized that I have a scanner built into my printer. Duh. Anyway, here goes. Notice I also borrowed Jillies page numbering and some of her ideas.

I start the month with a calendar, so I can keep track of stuff

An example of Things I Wonder and Things That Made Me Smile

How I Feel Today - Quick journaling. Sometimes I write out actually journal pages, but often I can just sum it up like this.

I call my to do list "S--T I Ought To Do" because while it's all stuff I really OUGHT to do, doesn't mean it's actually going to get done. I'm a college student, what can I say.

Sorry if the pics are huge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment"
raina.storms
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2007 12:13:09 PM »

Great thread! Thanks for sharing your excellent ideas. I am also a compulsive list maker, although I've never done it in my journal. Definitely will use some of your techniques, especially the numbering system. Awesome!

Also I thought I'd contribute: I keep a special notebook for websites. I'm almost ready for a new journal though, so I'll be incorporating a website list into the new journal. I usually write the date, web address, a category (shop, craft, entertainment, etc), thoughts/notes, and username/password if I've signed up. Wink  That notebook is insanely handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2007 12:22:17 PM »

Hmmmm great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big project Stitchalong 2009 - Ongoing
Tea Towel Tour 5 - In Progress
thebakersgirl
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2007 02:59:00 PM »

So. Lately in Journalism, we've been talking a lot about Dan Eldon. If you haven't heard of him, he was a photojournalist killed by a mob in Somolia (I think) in 1993. Anyway, one of the things we heard a lot about in the videos and stuff about him was his journals. They were like art journals, I guess, but they were gorgeous. They've really inspired me, and I'm sure they would do the same for all you guys. You can look through them here: http://www.daneldon.org/journals/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Oh sweet Jesus! A boob! She's making a BOOB!" -InkFaery
The Hunger Games Swap: crafting!
http://emilymayhem.blogspot.com
lil_black_rose
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2007 04:16:00 PM »

Zero Cool: I have been to the UK and actually really want to move to Edinburgh. I pick up accents and speech patterns really easily and made that page right after reading Trainspotting, which is written in a strong Scottish/Leith accent/dialect.

lil_black_rose: Some people who have perfectionist tendencies keep one journal that's for lots of planning and another that's for on the cuff stuff. (If that sentence even makes sense.) You could try that to see if it helps you be more spontaneous.

If any one is interesting in visual journalling, they should check out the livejournal community jr__nal. (http://community.livejournal.com/jr__nal/) People post pics of their journals and whatever. It is often really inspiring but is definitely not dial-up friendly!

Oh I have a day planner that tells me when to do everything I need to I even have a set time for showers (oh I know lame) but I am also starting a spontanous journal so lets hope all goes well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's your choice you can agree with me or be wrong"
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2007 08:19:14 AM »

Those journals from Dan Eldon are haunting.  What a powerful soulprint to leave behind.  Thanks bakersgirl for the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2007 10:34:46 AM »

I have a binder full of pages that i've written this year alone instead of filling notebooks beyond notebooks. I plan on seperating all the notebook I do have into binders as well for the previous years.

BUT. my whole point of this post... I think I'm going to steal all your ideas and start working on next years journal a little early. So it's all ready for me to start by the new year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artorbust
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2007 10:49:34 AM »

I wonder what world leaders journal about?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2007 01:27:39 PM »

I like the date stamp - that's clever!

I am a super-linear/sequential/concrete gal.  I wouldn't know creativity if it bit me; I can just copy. lol  So I have a really hard time keeping a good visual journal.  I never know what to do with it, and it drives me crazy not to just have one thing follow the last, neatly.  So... to solve the last problem, here's what I decided to do.  I keep a typed journal in Microsoft Word.  (I write more that way, anyhow, as I can type much faster than I can write.)  It is just a plain old, boring, one-date-follows-the-last this-is-what-happened kind of thing. (Although I usually forget to write until I'm having a crappy day, so I really should try the "bad day" journal idea, too.  I fear that if I died, my husband would think I had secretly hated him, because the journal would really paint a warped picture!)  Anyway, so I type in this journal all year.  At the end of the year, I add in any other relevant information (I also put together a summary of each month at the beginning of the next month, and I add these.), etc., put together a cover picture that's a photo collage of the past year, and have it printed at Lulu.com.

Then I can keep a separate paper journal where I can try different things, use pages out of order, tape stuff in, etc. - just generally get creative - and I am not so insecure about my journal because I have the "safe" one on the computer. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2007 01:48:24 PM »

Oops.  Forgot to mention that I really liked The Decorated Page and am told that The Decorated Journal is really good, as well.  The one I read had very specific, concrete instructions which were really helpful for me since I haven't a clue what I'm doing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blackest Night Video Interview
The Art of Henna
The Art of Brown Tape
Learn about Sufi Art
Learn about Abstract Transcendental Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...