A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "What do YOU Journal About?!" Ideas thread!  (Read 60864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2010 07:17:28 PM »

I've spent the last three nights reading through this whole thread, and it inspired me to start a journal.  One like I've never had before that is a blend of 'wreck this journal' and 'art journal' and 'visual journal' and 'scrapbook.'  I am finding it so freeing to let it be whatever will let me express myself at any given moment.  Today it was a song that I felt was speaking directly to me and made me cry.  I printed out the lyrics and pasted them in, then watercolor brushed around them until it felt right. 

Yesterday I cut pics out of a catalog and talked about what it meant about me that I liked/wanted these things.  Before that, I wrote some things in a small spiral that I carry everywhere, ripped those pages out, then pasted them in and did some doodle or collage, totally sloppy and random, around them. 

Oh, and the journal I used is a meditation journal (opens flat like a moleskine, yay!) I've had for years that was intended to inspire me but instead I realize it always made me feel 'less than' because I wasn't pure enough.  So I used KILZ all over the cover and spine, pasted stuff over the intro telling me how to use the pretentious thing, then wrote a little about how that all felt.  Which is much, much better.

And that is my newly begun journal!  It is titled, "I am not a real artist and this is not an art journal."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
cherryrose
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2010 12:12:33 PM »

Now I really want to see your pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2010 01:40:02 PM »

Oh boy, mine?  Thanks for the interest, cherryrose.  It's hard, because they're not pretty at all.  Which for me is the point, because I'm kind of a perfectionist and very hard on myself, afraid to mess up pretty journals, etc.  (I know no one here can relate...ha ha) so it's rough.  Plus journaling brought up anger I didn't realize was boiling in there.

BUT...maybe seeing my imperfection and even a bit of my darkness may help someone else share theirs, so here goes:

The still pretentious back cover, all about The System and Your Focus is Your Reality.  Yes, this will get the KILZ treatment next.

The no-longer-pretentious front cover, totally a WIP, just KILZ and a title so far:

Putting this on the front has totally freed me from having to make it pretty or positive or perfect in any way.

These are the pages pasted in over the pretentious instructions on how to use the book:

I also pasted the original list of way to 'wreck this journal' on the very first page of the journal, to give me utter permission to mess everything up.  On the pages above, the little clipart on the left is just stuff I like, and the words in clouds are meaningful quotes from a movie, specifically "12 Monkeys", that really spoke to me yesterday.  They're about mental illness.

This is one of the pages of things I want, with scribbled reflections on why:

And these are the lyrics, "Again" by Flyleaf, which is meant to be God talking, and it seems like God talking directly to ME.  This song has played on my Pandora radio station at times when it was like God interrupting whatever crisis I was in to talk to me.  It's kind of amazing.  It ended up looking like it did because for me, it's like God speaking through the murkiest, darkest times:

That's pretty much it so far.  This journal is not something to look back on, rather something to help me find ways to express what's true for me RIGHT NOW.  I'm not limiting anything about it, though.  I could totally make a page of Favorite Things or stick in programs from my kids' concerts, etc.  I love this thing.  It makes me happy to see it propped there in my craft room, always ready to be further messed with.  Smiley  It's amazingly therapeutic.

I hope this expose helps others expose their un-pretty stuff too.  I also hope you were talking to me when you asked, cherryrose.  LOL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
your.bestnightmare
« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2010 08:17:31 PM »

Wow. You say its not pretty, but your journal is beautiful. Its not about making things appealing to other people's eye. Journaling is about capturing your raw emotion, and working through it to make sense of what you're feeling. Thats the beauty of it. Keep at it, you're doing a great job(:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2010 08:50:35 PM »

Wow. You say its not pretty, but your journal is beautiful. Its not about making things appealing to other people's eye. Journaling is about capturing your raw emotion, and working through it to make sense of what you're feeling. Thats the beauty of it. Keep at it, you're doing a great job(:

Thank you, yourbest.  That means a lot to me.  I'm tearing up a little here.  I did the alphabet exercise today and it actually made me feel like someone...which was actually a part of me...was interested in how I felt about things...kinda crazy, and kinda sad...this is a very intense experience for me, it's turning out!!!

So, where are your pages these days?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your.bestnightmare
« Reply #315 on: December 20, 2010 05:09:44 AM »

Thank you, yourbest.  That means a lot to me.  I'm tearing up a little here.  I did the alphabet exercise today and it actually made me feel like someone...which was actually a part of me...was interested in how I felt about things...kinda crazy, and kinda sad...this is a very intense experience for me, it's turning out!!!

Aww. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry.

As for me, I'm taking a journaling hiatus. I hardly have time to do my traditional journaling. I'm so busy these days with school, my many many many extracurriculars (I have a tendancy to bite off more then I can chew.), and my boyfriend whos a full time job by himself. Tongue Maybe I'll make it a New Years Resolution to journal more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2010 09:13:19 AM »

No no, it was a good cry.  Smiley  I hope you're able to carve that time out for yourself.  It sounds like you really know much it can mean.

Aww. I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry.

As for me, I'm taking a journaling hiatus. I hardly have time to do my traditional journaling. I'm so busy these days with school, my many many many extracurriculars (I have a tendancy to bite off more then I can chew.), and my boyfriend whos a full time job by himself. Tongue Maybe I'll make it a New Years Resolution to journal more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2010 09:32:35 AM »

I hope this expose helps others expose their un-pretty stuff too.  I also hope you were talking to me when you asked, cherryrose.  LOL!!!

I was, No worries  Cheesy

I like your journal, it's very personal. I love the text on the front. I'm a total perfectionist myself.
This would help. I've been thinking about starting an art journal for, like- forever.
But I don't dare to start. What if I mess up all the pretty pictures I tore out of magazines and kept for the last two years? It's crazy, right?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2010 10:02:36 AM »

I was, No worries  Cheesy

I like your journal, it's very personal. I love the text on the front. I'm a total perfectionist myself.
This would help. I've been thinking about starting an art journal for, like- forever.
But I don't dare to start. What if I mess up all the pretty pictures I tore out of magazines and kept for the last two years? It's crazy, right?  Undecided

I totally get you, but it's sadder to think of them all tucked away in a pile, not being enjoyed at all.  Like all my blank pretty journals.  Plus, by the time you get them out after two years, you're a different person and will probably want to collect all new ones.  And the searching and clipping is the fun part!  And hey, there are ALWAYS new magazines!!!!  DO IT!!!!

Oh, and I realized that if I fill up my journals with stuff, even if I mess them all up, it's a GREAT excuse to go out and buy MORE...which is a LOT of the fun here!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010 10:04:01 AM by goddessgarb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

shanta.devi
« Reply #319 on: December 20, 2010 03:14:16 PM »

Hi, everyone - Happy Holidays.  Smiley  Wow, I've been so inspired by this thread -- thanks for sharing all of your ideas and pages! 

I made my first journal prompts list based off of what has been posted here thus far, so thanks for all of the tips!  I'm more of an "art-journaler," myself, having started and stopped many, many, many "writing" journals over the years, but still find value in writing...now mainly combined with visual elements that are a lot more fun for me.

I journal about...anything and everything.  I like the idea of "documenting" the world and my experience in it, in creating a personal history of sorts.  I do a lot of stream-of-consciousness writing/"morning pages" and venting/clearing if something has really affected me.  I also draw/doodle a lot to illustrate emotions, and incorporate color with paint, watercolor crayons, etc.  Some of my favorite art journaling books (Creative Wildfire, Journal Junkies, Journal Spilling, True Vision) have all sorts of medium ideas and prompts that I reference from time to time, but mostly it's just about play and venting and exploring and creating/destroying on the page. 

I'm immensely inspired by music, and I always journal to it (that would be a great thread -- journaling/art journaling playlists/song rec's).  A new prompt that has worked for me lately is to journal in reaction to songs that are really evocative, in the instrumentation, lyrics, and the singers' voices.

So...just for fun, my current art journaling playlist (this gets switched out with the regular shuffle of songs and my 5-star playlist, and really needs to be updated):

"Gravedigger" (Live at Radio City) - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
"Push" - Matchbox Twenty
"3 A.M." - Matchbox Twenty
"Bloodline" (Acoustic) - Matt Morris
"Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" - Lauryn Hill
"Wide Awake" - Kenna"What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" - Justin Timberlake
"Lover, You Should've Come Over" - Jeff Buckley
"Velvet Rope" - Janet Jackson
"Dig" - Incubus
"Ghost" - Howie Day
"Madrigals" - Howie Day
"Become" - Goo Goo Dolls
"Without You Here" - Goo Goo Dolls
"Lenders In The Temple" - Conor Oberst
"The Scientist" - Coldplay
"Blue Light" - Bloc Party
"Roses From My Friends" (Live) - Ben Harper
"DLZ" - TV On The Radio

And in response to the perfectionist note, I "suffer" from a somewhat type-A personality, but I try to embrace that quality in my art, rather than fight it.  I feel that I'd rather have experimented or expressed something that feels risky -- like, gesso-ing over collage or painting on top of what I've written -- then not to have stretched creatively -- it's interesting, trying to find balance between the comfortable/uncomfortable in art making.  I've found journaling books, workshops, and threads like this to be really helpful in getting me out of my head. Just my two cents.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Rainbow in Tie Dye
How to Tie Dye a Blue Garment
How to Create Tie Dye Effects on Sweatshirts
How to Tie Dye Patterns
How to Dip Dye a Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...