A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,778
Currently Running With Scissors:
368 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unload fab ideas for a college dorm room here!  (Read 3417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunflower
« on: December 09, 2004 09:12:17 PM »

Hey.  I'm new here, but I've visited the Craftster boards for a looong time.

Anyway, I'm going to college in the fall and want to have an uber-fabulous dorm room.

So seriously, all ideas...crazy crafty stuff I can do...ideas for color palettes, themes, good websites to get the "necessities" for cheap...ways to get around decorating restrictions like the infamous no-paint rule (which, by the way, WON'T apply for me Grin.)

I'm open for anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunflower
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004 11:20:06 PM »

Basically, as long as I can paint back over it at the end of the year, I'm pretty free.  They prefer we use sticky-tack or removable double-sided tape though...(aka no nails).  There is a tack strip to hang things off of around the top perimeter of all the rooms too.  Let's see what else...general guidelines really--nothing that will cause a massive fire, nothing that will cause permanent damage to the walls or floor.

In short, anything goes, as long as I am able to change it back at the end of the year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alisonwonderland
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004 11:24:58 PM »

wow.. i don't have any ideas to give you right now but I want to just say that you are a very lucky girl.  We can't paint or anything and we have a rule that only "20%" of the walls can be covered (don't know that that one ever really gets followed..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
RERose
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004 07:41:56 PM »

i live in a dorm and the beds are lofted with a window at the loft level, without curtains and since I have a schedule that I have classes in the evening and work at night, so the light was an issue, as was random time my roomate would be around with lots on a stuff so, I took PVC piping and made a frame ontop on the posts and constructed a curtain that goes all the way around the top of the bed and keeps out light.  it works great, and is awesome for time when a 8x12 room doesnt allow much privacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004 12:37:55 PM »

A big issue in my dorm room is having enough light - the light fixtures provided by the university are really, really, not good, so I went out and bought a lot of lamps.

Another issue in a lot of the dorm rooms I've stayed in is storage, so I went to ikea and bought their cheapest ($25 CAN/unit) shelving units - they're unprimed wood and made for garages and the like, look fairly industrial.  I've got a few of them put together, and they hold all my stuff - books, folded clothes, boxes filled with craft supplies, my TV (our dorms have cablevision for a TV in all the rooms included in the cost, so I take advantage of it) and my pet fish (the only pet allowed in most dorms, but totally worth it).

Being allowed to paint is tres cool, wish I was.  I'd stay away from reds, etc, because they're hard to paint over again at the end of the year.

My other big suggestion for personalization is Picture Mounts.. they're little foamy double-sided squares that tack things up on the wall.  They're super-strong, and come off no problem, a great solution.  They actually include a pack when we move in, they're so awesome.  I've hung mirrors, etc, with them, no problem.  The only problem wiht them is that they're expensive if you have to buy them.. but, imho, totally worth it.

A neat solution to the tacking problem.. my friend came up with this one.. is to hang foamcore board in a cool colour using picture mounts or whatever.  Then, you can tack anything you want onto the foamcore boards.  This works great for people who aren't allowed to paint their walls, as it adds a high degree of personalization.  I've done it with a bulletin board in my sewing area, so I can hang scissors and the like.

My last idea is from my first year.. I got a roll of black paper, and ran it along the wall above my bed in a stripe.  Then I got out my trusty gel pens, and had my friends autograph it.  I also added a few photos and my favourite quotes.  Looked really cool, and really personalized my half of the room (I had to share a double room in first year, university policy). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004 08:44:34 PM »

lighting changes so much so definitely think about that.
i made a lamp from banana paper and tall willow sticks. it turned out lovely (it was a tall floor lamp). i definitely recommend making some lamps that fit your style because of the florescent light issue! 
i never actually lived in a dorm... but the bed seems to be the main piece of furniture and usually most noticable so that is probably a good focus point.  under bed storage is a great idea as is the loft bed which you can probably do once you get there... plus this keeps people from using your bed as a couch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004 08:48:10 PM »

oh thought of another idea i like... (popular among my friends in japan)
string up a jute string (for a natural look) and use mini wood clothespins to hang pictures or postcards along it.  you can use any style of pins to suit your room and change the pictures as often as  you like.  depending on how you do it it can be simple and uncluttered or crazy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Sunset Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Sport Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Shutter Priority Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Image Resolution Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...