A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 305,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me decorate my bedroom!  (Read 977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vintagechick
« on: December 27, 2004 02:19:45 PM »

Our master suite is in desperate need of some help!  It's 2 rooms separated by a curtain I made.  The front part is where our bed is (with a bedside table).  There's also a sofa, floor lamp, small coffee table and our TV.   And we still have floor space, so it doesn't feel crowded.  The back portion of it (behind the curtain) is our home office/my craft space.  Our walk-in closet is in that room, and our bathroom, as well.  I'm not concerned with decorating the bathroom or office/craft area yet.  I'd like to focus my energy on the sleeping/living area.  This is where we spend most of our time when we're home so I want it to be very comfortable and inviting. 

Here's what I have to work with right now...the bed needs serious help.  It has a cream color quilt on it.  We have several pillows on it, none of which have matching cases (yuck!)  We just got a new sheet set, navy blue t-shirt sheets.  I'm in the process of making a bedskirt of white material (eyelet design).  I would also like to make an upholstered headboard for it.

The sofa is a floral print.  It has large roses (multiple shades of pink and red) and blue hydrangea (multiple shades, the darkest matches our navy sheets) on a cream background.  The throw pillows have red trim(the darkest shade from the roses)  around them. 

Question #1:  I'd like to change up the bedding.  I was thinking about buying a big plain comforter and making a duvet cover for it.  I don't know what color to make it though.  Any ideas?  I was thinking about doing something with denim, but I don't know if that would look right.

Question #2:  I need to make some curtains for the huge window we have on one wall.  I don't know what style to make or what color either.  If I have denim on the bed, should I avoid using it on the windows, also?

Thanks in advance for the help!  You all are always really helpful!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004 02:23:45 PM by vintagechick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004 02:27:49 PM »

If you plan to use denim and keep the existing sofa and sheets, I would advise against denim curtains.  That seems like too much blue and that you run the risk of going with a feminine frontier look. 

The first thing to do is think not in terms of color but overall feel and look.  Do you want it to be vintage with darker colors?  Do you want a country cottage style?  If you are not sure go to your local bookstore and look throught the books on interior decorating/design.  Look to see if there is a common theme in the rooms you like. 

Also don;t underestimate the value of a paint in decorating a room.  It can really help liven things up.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintagechick
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004 10:39:28 AM »

I think I've ruled out using denim, except in small doses (i.e. the denim throw I'm making for the sofa).  The main thing is that I want it to be very warm and inviting...I want it to feel like HOME, not just a room in our house.  I want to walk in and feel like I'm in the most comfortable place in the world.

That said, I cannot paint.  We're renting and can't make any permenant changes to the space.  There are white walls, white woodwork and ugly brown (but new) carpet.  I have a large window that I need to cover (it faces east and the morning sun is brutal). 

Any ideas on what kind of window treatments?  I'd like long drapes of some sort, but again I don't want them overly formal, but I don't want to go too casual either.  Impossible?  I hope not!!  I'm not sure what kind of rods I should use to hang the drapes or even what type of fabric to look for.  Like I said, I need help!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004 11:01:46 AM »

If the windows are big making your own curatins won't be cost effective.  You may consider checking out Ike, Wal-Mart or Kmart and getting plain white drapes that you can dye and then embellish.  Or consider using a thick muslim and doing the same thingl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Age Brass
How to Age Copper
How to Age Paper
How to Age Wood
How to Antique Your Own Paper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...