A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chaotic house needs makeover  (Read 986 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

butterfingers
« on: December 20, 2004 10:59:24 AM »

Hi. This is my first post. I've been lurking around looking for home decor and crochet ideas, and I finally registered today! Here's my dilemma.

Our house is decorated almost completely with our old dorm furniture and posters, some of which are actually nice, but other bits are just embarassing. My husband is a Disney freak and has a lot of paraphrenalia. Our living room walls are crammed with my husband's Disney posters, with which he doesn't want to part. Also, we are only just getting over the compulsion to display everything that was given to us as wedding gifts. I think it's way too chaotic and doesn't really reflect my personality.

As a compromise, I have encouraged him to put some of the posters in his home office and to choose the best of his collection to display in the living room. I also had one of his valuable collector's edition posters framed properly. Then I took down some of my own posters.

We decided to go with the "Animal Kingdom" motif--earthy and colorful and folk-artsy. I want to make some wall hangings to display instead of posters (I crochet and sew a little, but I can't draw). I love learning about textile arts. Our furniture is from dorm bits and pieces, and I'd like to redo some of them on the cheap. My husband builds things, and he is working on an entertainment center. He is very crafty! But we cannot afford to buy lots of new furniture.

If anyone can point me to any specific posts about changing up clutter, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! I will post with updates when some of my projects are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004 01:05:10 PM »

I'd say work with the Disney stuff instead of against it.  And mix in your own posters too!  I love homes that are decorated to be reflection of those that live in it. 

So line up the posters being used and pick out a color that will be your main color then two complimentary colors.  Use these as guides for everything you buy, redo or consider putting in.  Or.............

You could still use the earthy tones with maybe a nice warm caramel brown for the main color with complimentary items in red and a deep dark earthy yellow.  I think these might go nicely with Disney posters and the colors often used in the cartoons. 

Post some pics if you can and I bet the suggestions will come rolling in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004 02:13:50 PM »

One thing that really helps is if you find an inexpensive way to frame the posters so that they are all framed the same way, it helps it look like a design decsision, rather than a mish-mash. 

For example, I had a collection of vintage fruit crate labels, and they are all different shapes and sizes.  I bought frames from Michaels that were all the same, just cheap standard-size ones.  It took me a while to do this, because I'm cheap and I bought them over a period of time so that I could use the 40% coupons we get in the mail every week.  So, each week I'd buy another frame until I had enough. 

Then I bought a whole uncut piece of scrap/clearance mat board from the Michaels frame counter, which cost me about $3.  I cut the mat board to fit the frames, but did NOT cut a hole in the center.  First off, I don't have the proper tools to bevel-cut, and second, by framing the labels just laid on top of the mat board, it helped them all look more uniform when I hung them on the wall.

For cluttery decor, here's something I've done at my house, my mom's house, and my sister's house.  My sister had a bunch of nice things displayed on her mantel, but they looked kinda jumbled.  I noticed that she had a lot of beautiful glass pieces (she does work at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma), so I arranged all of her glass stuff on the mantel and moved the non-glass things to be displayed elsewhere.  Just by arranging things differently, you can make it look like a collection, rather than just a bunch of stuff.  I did the same at my mom's with her collection of aluminum serving dishes in the den and some blue-and-green pieces on a shelf in the kitchen (some pottery, some vintage teapots, some vintage vases, etc, all in shades of blue and green).  The fun thing is, like with the blue and green stuff, some of those pieces had been hidden in cupboards for years, but once we figured out a theme, we went and found stuff to go with.  It turned out really neat.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
jblair
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004 02:28:31 PM »

Have you seen those poster displays in music stores? The posters are framed but they're group together sort of like a "book" of posters attached on the wall. That way you could display them but they wouldn't take up a lot of space. I don't know where you could get such a thing...just a thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mikan

we are ugly but we have the music

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004 08:38:56 PM »

i've been thinking of crocheting some baskets, maybe that would work for you too?  you could use different ropes for a natural look.  i'll be keeping my knitting projects in them on a shelf. 
as for the furniture, what about painting them in a similar way? i like the sanded on the edges to see the color beneath kind of style and that might go with your folk-art?
wow, disney posters?  i agree with the grouping idea!  is there anywhere in your house (other than the office) than can become disney central?  even a hallway could look like a gallery if you lined everything up and put some cute molding shelves up for the disney stuff.  then you could keep the fun of it without trying to mix all your style in one room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

now, whether in punishment or reward, through all eternity, she must love and believe in what she did not understand.  -dennison
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chip Ingram’s Spiritual Simplicity
A Different Side of Judas Iscariot
The Tucci Cookbook: Cooking at Home With Stanley Trailer
Power Concedes Nothing Book Overview
Truth in Advertizing Book Launch Party at Mother New York
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...