A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,347
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spiderweb Capelet - HELP!  (Read 6332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkhairedcyn
« on: December 09, 2004 08:00:14 PM »

I'm trying to make the Spiderweb Capelet, and I'm totally mystified by the 4th row.  What do I do when it says "sl2 purlwise, k2tog, pass 2 slipped sts over, K1 without dropping st off needle, yo, p1 without dropping st of needle, yo, k1 without dropping st of needle, yo, p1 and drop st off needle"?  Am I just passing the slipped stitches over the k2tog stitches?  Or am I passing them over all the sts?  When it says "K1 without dropping," does that mean I leave the stitch I just knit on the left needle?  Do I then reknit into that stitch, or knit the next stitch? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
agirlisaverb
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004 10:26:13 AM »

Okee, the fourth row seems crazy at first, but it'll make sense.  for the "pass 2 slipped sts over", you've only knit the k2tog after that, right?  so just stick your left needle into the slipped stitches, pull them over the k2tog stitch, and drop them right off the needle like you're binding them off.  Then, for the k1 without dropping, you're going to do the first half of you knit stitch, but then instead of dropping the old stitch off the left needle, you'll leave it on there, and then knit (welll.... actually purl, then knit, then purl in this pattern, so you get that nice twisty part into your lace) into it again. 

presto change-o, la la la, there's your lace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please help in the search for Amos Mortier- missing since 11/8/04

Visit www.findamos.com for more information.
julesabu
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004 10:34:56 AM »

hey there. you're reading and interpreting the pattern correctly. you're just passing the slp2 purls over the k2tog and off the right needle.  i just use my fingers to pull the sl2 purls, one by one, over the k2tog. i kind of have to because i'm using elann's brushed alpaca cuzco and and it's too hard to perform it with the needle. also on the "k1 without dropping" yes, you leave the stitch on the left needle until after that last purl and then it's transferred to your right needle. what kind of yarn are you using? good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkhairedcyn
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004 08:09:33 PM »

Thanks for the help, guys!  I totally get it now.

I'm using Jaeger Art Mohair for it.  It's thinner than the suggested yarn, so I'm using 17 needles instead of 15s.  It's turning out really pretty and lacey. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myarny
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005 10:17:33 PM »

O.k. I got row 4 BUT I ended up with a billion extra stitches.  On that row all those yos become extra stitches so by my count (happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong) that means 7 stiches per yo section.  Then you slp, slp K2tog psso which as I understand it is only a total dec of 3.  So....I'm adding 4 stitches per triangley bit (that's a technical term I swear), every time I do that section.  I'll admit to being a little lazy here since I can see some of you have already managed to get it right....advice?  I'm inclined just to create some sort of crazy warp around shruggery (another tech term ha) rather than rip it (I'll just make a new one once I can figure out the pattern).  Tx much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005 10:24:09 PM »

if i remember correctly, on the next row you drop the yo's.
i found the best way to make the caplet was to follow the directions as best i could and take it very slowly. the end product is so lacey that a mistake is hard to spot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkhairedcyn
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005 08:40:25 AM »

I've made this capelet twice, and the second time I just didn't do any of the yarn overs when you're knitting into the same stitch, and it turned out really well.  Either doing that or just dropping the yarn overs should make it turn out right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Myarny
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005 12:24:20 PM »

Thanks!  I wondered about dropping the yarnovers because the 5th row just says P.   Dropping them would make it more lacy which makes sense and would mean only one extra increase per lace repeat as opposed to 4.  I think I figured it was going to be a quick knit and turned my brain off.  On another note my curling, lacy shrug thing is kind of interesting so it's all good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
himeykitty
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005 07:32:24 AM »

Myarny, check out this page.  It's all the typos and misprints and general errata for the patterns in both books, and they list corrections for the Spiderweb Capelet.  Basically, the yo's aren't supposed to be there and it's just supposed to be kpkp into one stitch.  Then again, I didn't try it with the dropping the yo trick, so that might end up looking better  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Add me to the list of knitbloggers:
http://kittyknit.blogspot.com
alerievay
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005 10:37:25 AM »

Check out the errata page himeykitty suggested! 

The first time I knit it, I frogged the whole thing because, if you do the yo's on row 4, the capelet is WAY too wide at the top. 

Once you get the hang of it, though, this is a really simple pattern that can be knit up in a few hours! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Baby Photos in Photoshop
How to Create a Gradient in Photoshop
How to Rename your Digital Files Using Exifer
How to Create Logos in Photoshop
How to Create Natural Light on Glamour Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...