A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Afghan  (Read 4062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

concannon
« on: September 04, 2007 11:26:00 AM »

After a scarf, a couple purses, and a few little amigurumi things, behold my first afghan.  (And my first post here at all, in fact.)

Crocheted for a friend's birthday - she's going to college in Maine, so I thought she could deal with something to bring a little extra warmth. 

Used this pattern: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/june_crochproject.html, with alterations made as necessary.  All yarn is acrylic, but varies in type (in my hunt to find proper colors) - includes Red Heart Super Saver, Red Heart Soft Yarn, and Caron Simply Soft.  Motifs are done individually, and sewn together in a whip stitch with black yarn.  Done with a G hook (because I like to keep my work tight) and the project took about 5 months, allowing for finishing high school in there somewhere.  Grin

Photos!  (Before blocking.)

Please consider the following:

The blanket after blocking.

YOU SEE, BLOCKING ACRYLIC DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  A big difference, in this case.  It still doesn't lie entirely flat, but it sure as heck does look better.

And here it is all wrapped up, ready to be given away.

Thanks for looking. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dinosaur geek, movie junkie, art student, and craftster
pinkanddinky
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust

Sociologist with scissors

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007 11:33:57 AM »

What a wonderful present! Your friend must be very excited. BTW- I have no idea what blocking is, but then again I don't know how to crochet.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buckynbaby
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007 11:42:23 AM »

Gorgeous...you have a stunning amount of dedication!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blabigail

Yarn. My personal weakness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007 11:43:19 AM »

Wow.  I wish I had the patience to do that many little motifs.  Your friend is going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On Ravelry as Stashhappy

I finally did it!  I have a blog!
http://firebirdknits.blogspot.com
drcliquet
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007 11:45:08 AM »

You did a good job combining colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007 11:46:36 AM »

That afghan is lovely! I knew blocking acrylic does help some! I knew it! you just solidified in my brain that I am not crazy. lol.
I know I all ready said it but lovely work. I also like the mix of yarns to get the colors you wanted.
How many skeins per color did you use? I want to make an afghan for my hubby for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how much yarn I'll need. Smiley (you know just to get an idea.)

What a wonderful present! Your friend must be very excited. BTW- I have no idea what blocking is, but then again I don't know how to crochet.  Wink
Blocking is usually done after washing an item to help it lay flat. Typically the item is stretched just a bit(enough to make it really flat and not curl) and either hung or pinned so it will dry in a certain way.
Nothing wrong with admiring a project and learning something new. Crochet is fun I bet you'd enjoy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dawn76
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007 11:53:13 AM »

Breathtaking!  Your friend will love it!  You should be proud of yourself!  I love the way motifs look but everytime I start something withmotifs, i end up getting mad because the finish line is soooooo far away after you make all of them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007 11:57:35 AM »

That is an amazing and totally cool gift! Your friend should love you forever!  Grin

Now I have to ask - I'm always garnering opinions on this sort of thing - did you block the afghan all at once and lay it on a bed or something, or did you do it in sections on boards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
concannon
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007 12:08:54 PM »

That afghan is lovely! I knew blocking acrylic does help some! I knew it! you just solidified in my brain that I am not crazy. lol.
I know I all ready said it but lovely work. I also like the mix of yarns to get the colors you wanted.
How many skeins per color did you use? I want to make an afghan for my hubby for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how much yarn I'll need. Smiley (you know just to get an idea.)

Well thank you, first of all. Smiley  As far as my colors, what the pattern calls for is more or less accurate.  Um, the red motifs are Red Heart Super Saver, and they only took one skein of each shade (as an example).  But the next ring out, of the light blue and teal (which are Red Heart Soft Yarn and something else) took maybe a skein and a half.  And I think I went through four skeins of Super Saver black, for all those borders.  Maybe five.  Not sure.  Anyway, the only time I found myself lacking in yarn was with the black - the pattern gave me enough to have yarn leftovers. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

concannon
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007 12:16:54 PM »

Breathtaking!  Your friend will love it!  You should be proud of yourself!  I love the way motifs look but everytime I start something withmotifs, i end up getting mad because the finish line is soooooo far away after you make all of them. 

Haha, actually I personally like working in motifs.  One, they're a heck of a lot more portable than a whole blanket, and two, you get nice sewing breaks.  It was really nice to stop crocheting for a while and have the satisfaction of piecing the blanket together.

I think that it's worth mentioning that I started sewing motifs together waaaay before I was done making all of them, so I was switching back and forth. Grin

Now I have to ask - I'm always garnering opinions on this sort of thing - did you block the afghan all at once and lay it on a bed or something, or did you do it in sections on boards?

Actually, I did both.  I started off by blocking motifs individually - three or four little hexagons pinned to a piece of cardboard at a time.  But this got faaar too time consuming, and they were still curling a little besides.  So somewhere in the middle of the lighter purples, I quit doing that.  When I finished, I blocked the whole thing out - laid it out  in my basement and pinned it to the carpet.  I let it dry over night, and boom!  Flat blanket in the morning.

AND thank you, to you and everyone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spiced Nuts for the Holidays
Vanilla French Toast
How To Make Turkey Pot Pie
Salmon Cakes Recipe with Melissa d’Arabian
Triple Onion Tart
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...