A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dying wool yarn  (Read 611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2007 09:53:19 AM »

Hi everyone! I have four skeins of Lion's Fisherman Wool that I would like to dye. My plan is to use three or four colors for a stripey effect when knit up. What would be the best method for making 1600 yards of yarn all the same "dye lot"? I've only ever used a little pot of Rit on the stove, so I'm lost. Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lufahsman
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007 09:21:33 AM »

If you really want to make it all one dye lot you could try getting a roaster oven.  That way you can lay them all out next to each other and pour the dye on.

Another thing you could do is lay each skein out on plastic wrap and put the dye on them one at a time and then wrap them up and microwave them.

Travis
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A very silly place...
http://yarnzombie.net/Travis
ThePaintedTiger
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007 12:59:24 PM »

Are you going for actual stripes, or the type of miss and match stripes you get with variegated?

If you want variegated, then yep, lay them out on plastic wrap after soaking in vinegar & dish soap, then put your colors on each the same way.  You can try laying them on top of each other, but it would be more accurate to do them all separate but equal.  (You can get the dye into all the yarn more easily).  Nuke 'em.  (In your 'for dyeing only' microwave, unless you are using food dyes.)

If you want to do real stripes, you need to swatch to your garment size, measure how long of yarn you need to make the width of stripe you want, and multiply that by the number of colors you want.  Divide in half, set two chairs that distance apart, and wrap the yarn around them.  When you come to the end of a skein, you can tie the next one on.  Be sure to tie your super long skein with lots of figure 8's, so it doesn't get all tangly.   Dye the yarn, measuring each color.  You can make piles of each color, or stuff the length for a color in a jar or other container, and nuke it all.

Good luck...and be sure to show us how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adventures in Dyeing & Knitting
http://ThePaintedTiger.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Basic Knit Stitch
Introduction to Yarn Fiber Types
Introduction to Yarn Textures
Deciding Which Yarn to Use
How to Weave at Ends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...