A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fancy a cuppa? i've got one in my wallet! ¡pics added to explanation!  (Read 47758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mimiw
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007 07:58:48 PM »

You totally inspired me!   Grin

Here's mine:

I used velcro for the closure and I like that is is fairly adjustable depending on how stuffed the wallet is:

Thanks for the great idea - I see many more of these in my future  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ronise

Made in Brazil.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007 06:29:56 AM »

mimiw - yours is so cute, i love it. the fabric print is great! and it´s very well done too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kedrock
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007 08:37:06 AM »

the first one is sort of like the first pancake. (you know, the dog always gets it) but after that, they are really easy, and methinks the possibilities are endless!

Thanks for the directions!  I know what you mean about the pancake!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007 09:58:26 AM »

Mimiw, how did you adhere the strip with the velcro?  Is it on the inside or outside, and is there a bulge on the back where it is? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
kmsmaverick
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007 10:09:46 AM »

it looks like the strip with the velcro is sandwiched in before she sewed the sides.its sort of the same idea as putting straps in a purse.  the bulk of it would be dependent on the amount of interfacing used, and also if there was interface used on the strap; it looks like there might be a bit in the strap.

when you place the second pocket over the contrast pocket, you lay the strap over everything, with the raw edges lining up. then over lay the outside fabric RSF. pin everything and sew around the perimeter, (but not the top edge) hmmm, i can't think of a way to explain it, let me look around....

you'll need to do some thinking about the velcro- i'm at work, so i can't think whether the velcor should face the outside fabric or the inside pockets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jessiac_3

But you're better than normal, you're abnormal!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007 10:11:29 AM »

Ok, my blonde moment is over, I actually understand how to make this now...I didn't realize the instructions said to start with 4 rectangles and a rectangle of muslin! Roll Eyes

It's amazing how such a small detail could confuse me so terribly!

Anyway, I would still like to see the outside (open if possible) of your version, Mimiw...I think I like the unform look of the velcro the best! Wink

Thanks again kmsmaverick for posting this awesome idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just when you realize life's a b!tch, she has puppies.  - Anonymous
akittencalledjen
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2007 10:16:42 AM »

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question but I'm a total sewing noob.  What does a top stitch look like?  I can't find a decent explanation or pics.

Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So excited that Victoria Magazine is back in circulation!
kmsmaverick
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2007 10:24:22 AM »

topstitch is the stitch you put around the outside edge you would also put it along the top hem of a bucket bag, or soemthing like that. you can see it in the first one i made and also mimiw's.

it's not totally necessary (except in this project it keeps the top edge together), but it makes projects have a more finished feel to them.

it can also be used as a design detail - i like topstitching with thread that blends in, others like contrasting thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mimiw
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2007 10:42:01 AM »

I used fusible fleece inside my outer piece and in the flap just because it was the first thing I grabbed but I really like the way it turned out...a little squishy but still firm enough to hold its shape. 

I will get a picture of the outside tonight and post.  I just used a small square of velcro and with the longer velcro strip on the flap, it is adjustable.  You can stuff the wallet with about 10 teabags and still get it closed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimiw
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007 10:45:29 AM »

Oh - I forgot to add...

kmsmaverick - I was too lazy to try and figure out which way the velcro should face on the flap so I just left my opening there and inserted it last when I topstitched.  Worked like a charm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Cute Little Purse
How to Fold a Table Napkin into a Rose
How to Do Paper Napkin Folding
How to Make Christmas Ornaments Out of Used Folders
How to Make a Place Card and Napkin Holder from Christmas Cards
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...